• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Post World War II Openers (besides Gavaskar) discussion

Pick a pair of openers who you think are best?

• David Warner

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Alistair Cook

• AN Other (please specify)

• Hanif Mohammad

• Saeed Anwar

• Graham Gooch

• Gary Kirsten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

shortpitched713

International Captain
Who are the best openers who debuted after WWII?

I think most accept that Gavaskar was the best, but who else do we got?

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Boycott doesn’t make the poll yet Colin ****ing McDonald is on there?
Bizarrely, based on ICC peak ratings Colin McDonald makes the All Time Australian XI opening alongside Hayden. And the All Time World 3rd XI alongside Sutcliffe!

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Bizarrely, based on ICC peak ratings Colin McDonald makes the All Time Australian XI opening alongside Hayden. And the All Time World 3rd XI alongside Sutcliffe!
Yet another example of how awful the ratings are.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Boycott doesn’t make the poll yet Colin ****ing McDonald is on there?
I slapped the poll together, given the contents of another discussion thread, so expected it would be missing some noteworthies. I'll add whoever people think is relevant.

Also, in McDonald's defense, he had the level of skills and techniques on a sticky wicket, that our parents told to hide our daughters from.

Last edited:

shortpitched713

International Captain
Boycott, Simpson and Hanif are three who I'd argue should be prominently on the shortlist at least. A whole bunch of others also at least as worthy as several who have made the list.
Added them all. Feel free to add or change your votes, or nominate whoever you like best. :)

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
I slapped the poll together, given the contents of another discussion thread, so expected it would be missing some noteworthies. I'll add whoever people think is relevant.

Also, in McDonald's defense, he had the level of skills and techniques on a sticky wicket, that our parents told to hide our daughters from.
He averages 39 mate, c’mon. Could only score 5 tons in 47 matches. Averaged 47 home and 33 away. Having him on this poll is just an absolute taking of the piss.

shortpitched713

International Captain
I mean, someone's voted for him, so... lol. I get your point though, as I said I just slapped the poll together, no need to take it so serious.

Bolo.

International Vice-Captain
Other than Gordon and Boycott, all of these guys had surprisingly short stints as openers, even the ones who played huge numbers of tests, or retired many years after debut.

Bolo.

Alistair Cook?
Number of tests notwithstanding, 12 years is pretty short for a guy so far ahead of his competition. The top modern middle order bats all basically did 15 years+.

Solid length, especially for this list, but it hits a bit differently from the 17ish for Gordon/Boycott.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
I voted Boycott and Simpson.

Saeed Anwar should be added to the poll. Apart from struggling in Zimbabwe he did well everywhere and was better to watch than any openers from the 90s on.

By the time Conway retires he will be very high on that list.

srbhkshk

International Captain
Number of tests notwithstanding, 12 years is pretty short for a guy so far ahead of his competition. The top modern middle order bats all basically did 15 years+.

Solid length, especially for this list, but it hits a bit differently from the 17ish for Gordon/Boycott.
Modern English players should be given some leeway in that I guess. Play a lot more tests so must be quite a bit more wear and tear on the body, perhaps even mental fatigue.

Bolo.

Modern English players should be given some leeway in that I guess. Play a lot more tests so must be quite a bit more wear and tear on the body, perhaps even mental fatigue.
In some ways. Modern players play a lot less FC (48000+ runs for Boycott), and a lot of English players are playing single format these days.

For quicks, I think the wear and tear is a major issue, but I'm not sure playing a bunch of tests a year as a bat is worse than only playing a couple of tests and not getting practice.

But ya, more tests are better.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
161 Tests at the top the order (154 as opener) inflicts its own wear and tear too, of course, largely mental. Not that I've tried it myself.