• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2nd Semi Final | Ind vs Eng | Adelaide, 10 Nov 2022

girish117

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
India should be winning the T20 World Cup regularly due to the IPL, the quality of which is often as good as, if not better than International T20's.

England's T20 comp, is miles short of the IPL in terms of quality and even the 100 lags behind.

Whenever I watch the IPL there always seems to be loads of young Indian talent around but it never seems to find its way through to the national team - something in the Indian system must be seriously wrong.
watch carefully- they look good only against other indian players. they get mauled when they encounter a high calibre international guy. plus the guys that look good arent playing in the team. we still have the same garbage playing for us. the real shocker is how numbskulled the indian think tank is to persist with tools like kl and his like.

artvandalay

State Vice-Captain
England on song is such a monster side though. Can win games from virtually anywhere in the top 9. Think I'll root for them just for the annoyance factor it will pose to Aussies everywhere. Imagine seeing the poms lifting the trophy at your mecca.
All started from 2015. Peter Moores "We need to look at the data" was mocked then but that's what they've actually done and now they're on the verge of another white ball title. No reason we can't go along that same path but I get the feeling we need a coach who if not foreign - which I prefer - is abreast of the way white ball cricket in general is played. Moody n Steyn are both good choices imo.

Spark

Global Moderator
I mean you guys can talk about the batting all you like and fair enough, that score probably wasn't enough in hindsight and T20 is a batsman's game first and foremost. But you could have put up 220 and it would have gotten run down comfortably with the complete and total lack of spirit and intensity on show in the field tonight. Within three overs they looked completely cooked in the field.

artvandalay

State Vice-Captain
India should be winning the T20 World Cup regularly due to the IPL, the quality of which is often as good as, if not better than International T20's.

England's T20 comp, is miles short of the IPL in terms of quality and even the 100 lags behind.

Whenever I watch the IPL there always seems to be loads of young Indian talent around but it never seems to find its way through to the national team - something in the Indian system must be seriously wrong.
You should see the domestic T20 competition SMAT. Many of the crucial positions in the ipl teams are filled by foreign players for a while now which is part of the reason why good alternatives haven't emerged by now.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
I mean you guys can talk about the batting all you like and fair enough, that score probably wasn't enough in hindsight and T20 is a batsman's game first and foremost. But you could have put up 220 and it would have gotten run down comfortably with the complete and total lack of spirit and intensity on show in the field tonight. Within three overs they looked completely cooked in the field.
Correct me if I'm wrong, India fans, but these sort of flat displays weren't commonplace during the Shastri-Kohli years, were they? Seems like we've been laying down arms regularly across formats over the last year or so. Fielding standards have plummeted as well. No surprise really. A team looks to its leader for inspiration but all they see atm is Rohit Sharma's crusty pot belly looming over them

Spark

Global Moderator
Correct me if I'm wrong, India fans, but these sort of flat displays weren't commonplace during the Shastri-Kohli years, were they? Seems like we've been laying down arms regularly across formats over the last year or so. Fielding standards have plummeted as well. No surprise really. A team looks to its leader for inspiration but all they see atm is Rohit Sharma's crusty pot belly looming over them
Honestly it was just staggering to watch, the extent to which no one seemed especially interested in doing anything to arrest the momentum of the game. Like, at one point there was no fielder in front of square on the offside except mid off and square cover, both in the ring - no one between point and long-on on the boundary. So of course the bowler bowls full outside off stump, gets carted over mid-off for four. No one seems especially bothered by this.

Sunil1z

International Debutant
Have you forgotten our timid batting approach against NZ in last year T20 WC ? This has nothing to do with players or coach. Team is mentally scarred and finding itself in Deja vu situation in every knockout match in ICC tournament. And there is no Yuvraj Singh or Zaheer to stop the slide in momentum .

srbhkshk

International Captain
This is almost exactly how I thought the match will go if we batted first although I wasn't expecting such a staggeringly poor effort in the second innings. Fairly sure that we would have lost anyway even with a better effort - we don't have the bowling to stop England from reaching an average target.

It's almost funny - but the template we lost by is pretty much the same as in the 2016 T20 semis with the openers (+ Dhoni that game and Kohli this game) playing at below par SR and a rush of runs at the end making it feel like a good score when it was just a good recovery. That world cup (+ the 17 CT) had already made it pretty clear that we completely suck at utilizing powerplay in T20s and that Ashwin/Jadeja are at best average spinners in LOIs.

We came up to this cup with a worse powerplay problem , a 6 year older Ashwin , a worse version of Jadeja and with Kohli nowhere near the god mode he was in 2016 (although that was compensated by Surya tbf), so it's hard to say if we really should have expected anything more.

At the end of the day T20 is often a lottery and if you repeated this game it's very much possible that India scrapes through, but you can't blame luck when the problems with the team can be so easily pin-pointed.

I have also started to hate people saying "well he was at least trying to hit out" about Rohit, an inability to force the pace repeatedly should not be a defense. Logically saying not being able to score quicker when you are trying is actually worse than not trying at all if we are trying to talk about a player's capability. (Although obviously not worse from a mental/team player perspective)

artvandalay

State Vice-Captain
We came up to this cup with a worse powerplay problem , a 6 year older Ashwin , a worse version of Jadeja and with Kohli nowhere near the god mode he was in 2016 (although that was compensated by Surya tbf), so it's hard to say if we really should have expected anything more.
So called batting depth was.the only reason we never played a proper wrist spinner in the tournament.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
In twelve months, the Indian T20 top 7 should be
Kishan (Paddikal)
Gill (Gaikwad)
Virat
SKY
Shreyas (KL Rahul/Samson)
Pandya
Sundar

Let Pant focus on tests imo

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think in games like this everyone tends to lay into the losers.

Obv getting thrashed is embarrasing but it can happen in t20 cricket even between evenly matched teams (ENg v Aus in last t20 wc for instance. Australia thrashed and yet won the tournament albeit with help from winning every other toss in the tournament https://www.espncricinfo.com/series...26th-match-group-1-1273737/live-cricket-score).

Hales and Buttler out early and England probably lose by 30.

You gotta credit Buttler and Hales, rather than being too critical of India imo. Semifinals you get a decent score on the board (as India did) and it wins more times than not. Really good by Hales today - didn't think he had that quality left in the reserves having been out of international cricket for a while and not playing much in high level domestic t20 competitions.
Guess who didn't watch the match.

Seriously, Hales and Buttler batted superbly and it was not an easy pitch to take wickets, but India didn't put too many obstacles in their path. They pretty much cast the game adrift by the end of the third over of your innings, if not the first.

girish117

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Guess who didn't watch the match.

Seriously, Hales and Buttler batted superbly and it was not an easy pitch to take wickets, but India didn't put too many obstacles in their path. They pretty much cast the game adrift by the end of the third over of your innings, if not the first.
if youever followed India's games we never really won convincingly when defending. our batters would get a 180 plus or the rare 200 plus score and the opposite team would coast to the target and falter right at the doorstep. that should have set alarm bells ringing. we should have addressed our bowling. this is the result of ignoring the problems.

Socerer 01

International Vice-Captain
we had to deal with Dhoni tuktuking instead back then