• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tim Paine ***ting scandal, will resign

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Gets worse

I played in a team where the groundsman added a yard to the length of the pitch because we were batting against Pascoe the following day

Another one covered the wrong pitch on a rainy Friday night because we were defending a low score against Dirk Wellham and Peter Toohey

However, they were all individual decisions
That's just, I have to applaud that. Most people would just try make the pitch really dead.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Not one of this Paine stuff is really news. At the time they did it the Australians were saying that the South Africans were doing it all series, it's not a new claim by any stretch.

social

That's just, I have to applaud that. Most people would just try make the pitch really dead.
Lenny was really sharp and put in for his club

No overs restrictions so you were going to face 20-30 overs from him regardless

Nicest guy in the world but mad

Flat deck and he would bowl 6 bouncers an over with the odd beamer

He was a test bowler

We were weekend warriors

Different time, different rules

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Hair products, sunscreen, picking the seam and throwing the ball in on the bounce are all fair enough as far as I am concerned

Lollies are a grey area
Genuine question........why do you class lollies as a step beyond hair products and sunscreen? What about chewing gum?

Burgey

Gets worse

I played in a team where the groundsman added a yard to the length of the pitch because we were batting against Pascoe the following day

Another one covered the wrong pitch on a rainy Friday night because we were defending a low score against Dirk Wellham and Peter Toohey

However, they were all individual decisions

Literally no chance that you would get 11 guys to agree to it
A few years ago Fairfield were playing Randwick at Coogee Oval in the last round before the finals, with the hosts needing to win to qualify for the finals. It was the middle of a drought but strangely the pitch on which Fairfield had to chase Randwick’s moderate total was completely sodden.

to their credit the umpires called it off, Randwick were docked points and. Iirc, copped a huge fine as well.

Fairfield had a gun side that year. They ended up winning it and had Bollinger, Nashy, Lambo and Dave Kelley among others.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I used to get my mates on Hills Council to get the lawn mowed at Glenhaven through the week if my team had bowled first in a two day game.

social

Genuine question........why do you class lollies as a step beyond hair products and sunscreen? What about chewing gum?
Only because the rest are on the field anyway

England experimented with various lollies before settling upon Murray’s Mints so it was premeditated

Starfighter

Lenny was really sharp and put in for his club

No overs restrictions so you were going to face 20-30 overs from him regardless

Nicest guy in the world but mad

Flat deck and he would bowl 6 bouncers an over with the odd beamer

He was a test bowler

We were weekend warriors

Different time, different rules
Sounds about right, know a guy who played for Bankstown in the early seventies. Interestingly he said the other bower he thought was notably sharp aside from Thommo and Pascoe was Dave Renneberg. Doubt more than a handful of fellas my age have even heard of him.

social

A few years ago Fairfield were playing Randwick at Coogee Oval in the last round before the finals, with the hosts needing to win to qualify for the finals. It was the middle of a drought but strangely the pitch on which Fairfield had to chase Randwick’s moderate total was completely sodden.

to their credit the umpires called it off, Randwick were docked points and. Iirc, copped a huge fine as well.

Fairfield had a gun side that year. They ended up winning it and had Bollinger, Nashy, Lambo and Dave Kelley among others.
Lots of dodgy **** went on

All I can tell you is that I was never part of the discussion

Guys I played with at Randwick were seriously hard but that sort of stuff never came up

Massive sledging but no racism or intensely personal stuff

Definitely no blatant cheating

social

Sounds about right, know a guy who played for Bankstown in the early seventies. Interestingly he said the other bower he thought was notably sharp aside from Thommo and Pascoe was Dave Renneberg. Doubt more than a handful of fellas my age have even heard of him.
Not trying to talk down to people

Those guys play high level cricket because they’re really good

Most cricketers never play against anyone who can bowl 115

135 is a different world and especially because they give you nothing to hit and are supported by guys who can field & a captain who knows how to place a field

140+ and you can forget about it

Cummins would knock over a park team in 4 overs

If Steve Smith could be bothered to concentrate for a few hours against most of us, he’d score 400 in an afternoon

That’s how good they are

social

I always laugh when people say stuff like they could hit a shot on LeBron

Firstly, you probably couldn’t

Secondly, if you pissed him off then he would drop a 150 on you

mr_mister

It's really interesting to me that there's humans that can reach a bowling top speed of up to 33% higher than other competent humans(as in park cricketers who learnt to bowl as kids)

How much is technique and how much is natural gifts

social

It's really interesting to me that there's humans that can reach a bowling top speed of up to 33% higher than other competent humans(as in park cricketers who learnt to bowl as kids)

All natural

Can’t teach speed

TheJediBrah

32.8% technique, 66.2% natural gifts

1% pure ***uality

Burgey

Lots of dodgy **** went on

All I can tell you is that I was never part of the discussion

Guys I played with at Randwick were seriously hard but that sort of stuff never came up

Massive sledging but no racism or intensely personal stuff

Definitely no blatant cheating
Before the playing condition came in about the umpires taking the ball during breaks in play, did you ever put a wet ball in a pie oven after squeezing its seam together? ****er comes out like a house brick and decks at right angles.

Did it one game when a side was 2/180 at the rain break and we took 6/8 in five overs after wards before the ball got soft again. Works a treat

mr_mister

Have a look at the quickest bowlers in history

All were express without any coaching
It's interesting though, what did they all even have in common

Lee was lanky and ran in fast, Shoaib more stocky and I don't think he really sprinted in during his run up

I guess a lot is in shoulder strength?