• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* 2022 New Zealand Tour of England, Ireland, Scotland & Netherlands

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Your batting didn't lose you the series though. My man Darryl Mitchell and Blundell at least meant there were half way decent totals posted. The bowling was barely grade standard though. Fer shame.
For sure. But that doesn't mean batsmen can't be criticised, in general, for their lack of contribution. Mitchell and Blundell shouldn't be saving an innings 5 or 6 times on the trot. I'm critiquing the batsmen because this is starting to become the norm for a dysfunctional top order when previously we had a pretty rock solid top 5. It's a worrying trend for future tests. Unfortunately there will be a lot of public and nzc scrutiny on guys like young, Henry, Wagner and, even Patel for two overs, rather than Southee, Latham, Williamson and Nicholls.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well tbh if Tim Southee plays another test after the way he's bowled this series then NZ supporters need the number for Beyond Blue on speed dial.

NZTailender

Well tbh if Tim Southee plays another test after the way he's bowled this series then NZ supporters need the number for Beyond Blue on speed dial.
To be fair he's been our best test bowler for a couple years, with match winning performances. Up until this series He had been outperforming Boult pretty much every turn to the point we were questioning Boults spot in the line up. He went to poo after one innings this series - another without a plan B.

This whole team seems very insular. I remember after the Aussie debacle there was talk about how none of the coaching staff or team consulted local players on conditions, etc. They basically just treat every pitch as how it was 5 years ago and bowl exactly the same on each surface. It's bizarre.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
To be fair he's been our best test bowler for a couple years, with match winning performances. Up until this series He had been outperforming Boult pretty much every turn to the point we were questioning Boults spot in the line up. He went to poo after one innings this series - another without a plan B.

This whole team seems very insular. I remember after the Aussie debacle there was talk about how none of the coaching staff or team consulted local players on conditions, etc. They basically just treat every pitch as how it was 5 years ago and bowl exactly the same on each surface. It's bizarre.
From the little that I saw, Tim was just serving up wide hit me balls

It was Starc at his worst

Pitch is irrelevant when you bowl like that

NZTailender

From the little that I saw, Tim was just serving up wide hit me balls

It was Starc at his worst

Pitch is irrelevant when you bowl like that
But that doesn't mean he should be dropped after what is essentially one bad series, is the point. He should be under scrutiny in the next series though.

thierry henry

International Coach
Yeah I think what's so hard to take, or to make sense of, is that ultimately it's the almost unimpeachable seam attack that has been obliterated in 3 consecutive 4th innings when we should have won. None of Southee, Boult (ok he had a decent series) or Wagner could stop the rot and yet it would be ridiculous to suggest that any of them aren't good, test-class bowlers. Wags may have lost a yard or two that made his short ball attack so effective (debatable) but Boult and Southee are still pretty much Boult and Southee imo.

I tend more towards the view that despite our (totally deserved and legit) WTC win, there are still weaknesses in this team and that these weaknesses are particularly exploitable in away series and against certain players adopting certain approaches to the game. Aggressive, bullying cricket on wickets without a great deal of seam movement have always been a potential source of capitulation for us, particularly in high profile away series. I mean, the defeat in Australia didn't reveal a weakness that we then rectified by winning the WTC, it was a weakness that's always been there but which we can hide in the right circumstances or if Plan A works. In a sense this is about the deterioration of the WTC team, but there were also reasons why I sort of foresaw this happening anyway (aside from trolling and superstition).

ataraxia

International Coach
Sad, this sets NZ cricket right back. If we don't bounce back with the 6 quickfire tests from December to March, will we ever again play a 3-test series?

ashley bach

International Captain
Will the DN test at Mount likely sell out?
Hard to say at this early stage but one would like to think it'll be pretty full there.
Remember though with the pink ball, an average test duration is about 2.5 days, so book for day 1 or 2 as it's far from certain
the day 3 evening session will be on.

Kirkut

International Regular
Latham banking on another double to keep him going for another 2 years until Sri Lanka or Bangladesh tour again
To be frank though, doubles against Sri Lanka and Bangladesh are awesome. You do not see doubles against tier 1 attacks all the time even from the best batsmen in the world.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
It definitely wasn’t always like this. Can remember on the 2012 tour to Sri Lanka Southee and Boult consulting Chaminda Vaas on how to bowl, and getting consistent swing throughout the two tests.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
The bowling descended into a parody of what Facebook comments claim NZ are in "debates". Terrible performances from guys with past good results on far more challenging pitches in Asia or even day 5 NZ.
Yup, the general feeling among Indian cricket observers is “see, this confirms what we knew all along, one dimensional bowling unit with no idea of how to bowl anywhere other than seam/swing friendly conditions, completely flattered by their WTC win”. While this is mostly from fans who keep at most one eye on tests not involving India, you feel this series has gone a long way towards undoing 7-8 years of mostly respectable performances which would have seemed unthinkable in 2011. Hope the players are hurting from this even if the management isnt.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Series stats: NZ

2022-06-28_15-53-32.png

Only two contributors with the bat obv and then an enormous dropoff to Conway's 151 at 25.
With the ball, 1.5 good contributors - I didn't realise to what extent Boult's series figures put the others in shade, but 16 wickets is top of both sides for the series and he managed to retain a sub-30 average. Jamieson was good in the first test but poor in the second before he got injured. The others :boxed:.

Special mention to Colin De Grandhomme for appearing near the top of both of these charts with crucial runs, a crucial wicket and then match-losing brain fades and injury.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Series stats: England

2022-06-28_16-00-40.png
Two huge batting performances from England players, just like NZ, but then a whole lot of other players made runs too. Even Lees averaged more than all the sub-25 averages from NZ's top 4 + Nicholls.
Similar story in bowling in that, instead of being a one or two man army, England had four big performers. Even if Broad's average wasn't flash, he still bowled a couple of spells that change the course of a match.