• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England players and selection discussion thread

thierry henry

International Coach
Woke up this morning and turns out the captain of the England cricket team is still a ginger dimwit from Christchurch who was literally caught on camera king hitting and KOing some poor bloke he easily could have killed. Now I’m sure Richie Benaud did things like that all the time but at least Richie was a proper bowler.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
i saw that monotonous cretin 'cricket badger' tweet about it. think it might be buried in some daily heil article as that seemed to be what he was quoting.

chris.hinton

International Captain
Stokes will be England Captain. TBH he was the only Candidate as the others aren't good enough or consistent enough to stay in the team (Broad and Anderson wouldn't be a good option now either)

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Flawed logic though, right? Just because other all rounders were bad doesn’t mean he will be. The fact he’s more of a partnership breaker (or should be) than frontline bowler might help.

I dunno, jury is out I guess. I don’t know who else we could have picked.
I don't think it's just about him being an AR but the type of all rounder he is and the workload he's shouldering already.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Congratulations to known thug Ben Stokes on achieving the England captaincy.

What a wonderful moment.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
He's either innately or through pressures in his life known to be fragile mentally away from the cricket field, and I suspect he's likely to become increasingly fragile physically on the field - plus the team is appallingly awful. Good luck mate.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think they've overestimated how big a problem it is to have a captain who isn't scoring many runs. England don't have good batsmen, so his replacement wouldn't be scoring many runs either. So it's not like they're actually losing any cricketing ability by fielding an underperforming captain. It just looks a bit embarrassing for the selectors and might give them a difficult decision to make at some stage.

Stokes is a major cricketing asset that needs to be carefully managed. You have a lot more to lose by making him captain, and I'm not convinced there's much upside.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think they've overestimated how big a problem it is to have a captain who isn't scoring many runs. England don't have good batsmen, so his replacement wouldn't be scoring many runs either. So it's not like they're actually losing any cricketing ability by fielding an underperforming captain. It just looks a bit embarrassing for the selectors and might give them a difficult decision to make at some stage.

Stokes is a major cricketing asset that needs to be carefully managed. You have a lot more to lose by making him captain, and I'm not convinced there's much upside.
I agree making Stokes captain has a lot of potential downside, but who would you nominate?