• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shane Warne dead at 52

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
The other story I'd forgotten is how the 'dropped the World Cup' moment in 99 was predicted by Warnie. You can't even fathom how good a cricket brain you have to have to be able to pinpoint that an opponent,one you don't play against that much, throws the ball away quickly and to not stand for it if he catches it that way...then it happens. Absolute freak.

You can talk up his ability and rightly so, but who could you put up with him in terms of being able to read a game? Not many.
Wow. I am hearing this for the first time. So before it happened, Warne predicted that Gibbs will throw the ball early for it to be deemed not out? Any article on that?

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It would be the equivalent of if the day after (heaven forbid) Sachin dies some Aussie/English great says "he never got a hundred at Lords...Lara, Ponting and Kallis were better"

Totally idiotic.
A better response would be "I'm not entirely sure where Sunil ranks as a batsman, but he was one of the biggest ****s of all time".

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
The other story I'd forgotten is how the 'dropped the World Cup' moment in 99 was predicted by Warnie. You can't even fathom how good a cricket brain you have to have to be able to pinpoint that an opponent,one you don't play against that much, throws the ball away quickly and to not stand for it if he catches it that way...then it happens. Absolute freak.

You can talk up his ability and rightly so, but who could you put up with him in terms of being able to read a game? Not many.
This all stems from an Oz v SA ODI during the 1997/98 season where Warne was out caught by Gibbs and he did that stupid ball flick.

iirc the commentators said that Warne hung around at the crease waiting for a moment or two before the umpires confirmed the dismissal. I'm certain this was in Warne's mind when he brought this up.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's like pissing with the elastic pressed against your shaft and creating a weak stream.

It never counts as a real piss.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's like pissing with the elastic pressed against your shaft and creating a weak stream.

It never counts as a real piss.
No Gnske it's like pissing perfectly into the toilet and at the end one tiny drop falls onto the floor because you were a tad too eager to finish it off and zip up.

That's still a valid piss.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member

Posted in 2019, so it's not like it's a myth someone invented after his passing.
Not to take away from the big man but it was well known that Gibbs did this and had been commented on plenty in the SA media and fans, asking him not to do it. It was actually something that was seen a lot in the domestic game, people throwing the ball before in full control.

Also, did Warne not say that he actually thought Gibbs catch was fair?