• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tim David Watch

ataraxia

International Coach
Would it just be easier to make any short run cancel out both of the runs that in forms part of? I've wondered before as to why if the first run is short, the second would be counted as correct even though you literally start from an incorrect place (I think ***** did come up with an answer) and if it was changed so that a short run cancelled out both runs, it would a) (imo) make more sense generally and b) remove the potential for a tricky call on a deliberate short run as if you'd usually intend to do what David did, you might as well not bother as a short run would leave you in exactly the same poisiton as if you'd just not run at all
Deliberately running short would often be because otherwise you would likely get run out and in many cases 1 run + a wicket is a worse situation than a dot. So that's why there are five penalty runs I think.

cnerd123

likes this
There is also an element of trying to deceive the umpire and opposition to steal an extra run. You have to understand the Laws aren't just meant for professional cricket, they apply to amateur levels too. Most places don't even have a qualified umpire at square leg, let alone cameras watching the creases. Batters may try to steal a few yards, and so the penalty needs to be severe enough to deter potential cheats.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
The fact that david was consistently forced to bat 6/7 by the hurricanes and not even picked by RCB after one bad game is ****ing crazy. Dan chirtian was batting in binary and this dude was on the bench,

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Lovely to see David get a 1.5 Mil paycheck. Man totally deserves it, done everything right recently.

Daemon

Should’ve been a touch more but I’ll take it.

Look forward to him playing in the WT20.

ataraxia

International Coach
runs scored minus balls faced is a surprisingly accurate representation of the merits of a T20 innings

Daemon

So after being stupidly dropped by MI, he’s come back strong and ended the tournament averaging 37.2 at a staggering SR of 216.

Should probably turn up for Australia in a T20 series or two where the main players are resting from national duties after making IPL $$. Could make the first XI in due course as well.