• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kevin Pietersen - story of a genius

Singh767

School Boy/Girl Captain
Not sure if it is available in all countries (definitely have a look) but Sky Sports in UK have released "Kevin Pietersen - story of a genius" , 2 hours in total but they have broke it into episodes as well. I have seen pretty much every cricket documentary going and this is arguably the best. Anyone seen it yet? Arguably the most controversial personality in cricket history which is conveyed fully in the show, a true maverick. Even in this documentary which was made now you can tell how ridiculously difficult it was to manage him.

What are your thoughts of him as a player?
He gave me one of the biggest wow factor I have seen in cricket which was his switch hit to Murali in a test in England. His limited overs records are brilliant, test average of 47.28 which would perhaps would have been 50 if he was not playing half his games in English conditions.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Annoyingly Now TV doesn't seem to have the sports stuff on demand even if you have the sports pass so been u able to watch thus far

BoyBrumby

Englishman
It's worth a gander, deffo.

Goughie actually has the best line (I know, I was surprised too); he says KP fell in love with himself at an early age and has remained faithful since.

No huge insights or revelations, really. We all knew he was a massive talent with another less fortunate talent for rubbing folk up the wrong way, and, like a lot of narcissists underneath the bluster and the bull**** he has a really fragile ego.

The "KP Genius" Twitter account(where one suspects the doco mischievously takes its title from) patently hurt him deeply whereas more secure personalities would've laughed it off.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
The impression of KP is of being a great player but a complete prat. This does nothing to change that impression. In fact he seems proud of it. I didn’t know the story of his treatment of James Taylor. Utter dick.

thierry henry

International Coach
I feel like I've been going around saying this a lot lately (probably because I am a nutter myself) but from what I've seen, it's just another platform for a really weird guy with obvious mental/personality disorders to show off what a nutter he is. Weird viewing.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Goughie actually has the best line (I know, I was surprised too); he says KP fell in love with himself at an early age and has remained faithful since.
Seem to remember that Dennis Lillee of all people came up with that one years ago, about Boycs.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Not sure if it is available in all countries (definitely have a look) but Sky Sports in UK have released "Kevin Pietersen - story of a genius" , 2 hours in total but they have broke it into episodes as well. I have seen pretty much every cricket documentary going and this is arguably the best. Anyone seen it yet? Arguably the most controversial personality in cricket history which is conveyed fully in the show, a true maverick. Even in this documentary which was made now you can tell how ridiculously difficult it was to manage him.

What are your thoughts of him as a player?
He gave me one of the biggest wow factor I have seen in cricket which was his switch hit to Murali in a test in England. His limited overs records are brilliant, test average of 47.28 which would perhaps would have been 50 if he was not playing half his games in English conditions.
Dunno where you get this, he averaged 52.75 at home and 41.88 away. classic HTB

Last edited:

Woodster

International Captain
I always find KP captivating, sometimes that's in a kind of 'what planet is this guy from' other times I find him very insightful to listen to. As a cricketer he was genuine box office, never dull, yet too many times for a potentially top bracket player the line 'that's the way he plays' was an easy get out for someone who was better than that and should have taken more responsibility on occasions.

That innings he played at Headingley when he flayed a top class South African bowling attack to all parts was simply unbelievable.

That he upset people along the way doesn't bother me greatly as a cricketer, he was selfish, he was driven and expected the utmost effort from his teammates, they're not heinous crimes. Thought Nasser was fantastic in this aswell, accusing KP of lacking loyalty to anyone throughout his career, whether that's true or otherwise it was a blunt question.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
FYI - this is now on YouTube:

KP comes across well in this - but obviously this is by design. I think the classic mistake that now appears obvious that I think the most outwardly confident people often need the most support and emotional backing. Definitely an amazing batsmen who could slaughter opponents. Swanny doesn't come across well at all (fantastically special player though). I think the key point that is not spoken about when it comes to "banter" is not the "banter" itself but the feeling that you are not part of the in-group. First, someone needs to feel very welcome, included and very valued and then you say whatever banter to them. I think when you are in the in-group, it is hard to tell how much you can be excluding others and making them feel uncomfortable.

That twitter account was interesting also. The texts was definitely the greater news story at the time. It should have been simple enough to say to Broad "get your mate to shut it down or you're out of the team" which really implies that management played a part in excluding KP.

This being said, KP's underrating of Flower does seem slightly delusional. Nasser's endless recounting of Flower's accolades was quite amusing to see. It was a good point though that England had at least 10 great Test players at the time which would have helped endlessly.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
FYI - this is now on YouTube:

KP comes across well in this - but obviously this is by design. I think the classic mistake that now appears obvious that I think the most outwardly confident people often need the most support and emotional backing. Definitely an amazing batsmen who could slaughter opponents. Swanny doesn't come across well at all (fantastically special player though). I think the key point that is not spoken about when it comes to "banter" is not the "banter" itself but the feeling that you are not part of the in-group. First, someone needs to feel very welcome, included and very valued and then you say whatever banter to them. I think when you are in the in-group, it is hard to tell how much you can be excluding others and making them feel uncomfortable.

That twitter account was interesting also. The texts was definitely the greater news story at the time. It should have been simple enough to say to Broad "get your mate to shut it down or you're out of the team" which really implies that management played a part in excluding KP.

This being said, KP's underrating of Flower does seem slightly delusional. Nasser's endless recounting of Flower's accolades was quite amusing to see. It was a good point though that England had at least 10 great Test players at the time which would have helped endlessly.
I cant comment much not having seen this (does not seem to be available in India on YouTube, but Andy Flower has come across as a pretty useless and difficult coach in the IPL.

karan_fromthestands

State Captain
I cant comment much not having seen this (does not seem to be available in India on YouTube, but Andy Flower has come across as a pretty useless and difficult coach in the IPL.
Coaches and captains, too tough to judge. And it's funny that despite of how thrash T20s are, they really put the captain in the spotlight since you have to come up with quick field changes and plans to tackle the unexpected nature of the game.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
that james taylor story man. what an absolute dickhead this guy was. i don't get why he took such a dislike to him. this weren't like an experiment on a guy who averaged 30-35 in fc cricket. taylor was so clear of everyone else playing cc at the time that he fully earnt his spot. was averaging a shade under 50. i can imagine pietersen being as dense as not being able to see past the fact taylor was a manlet.

broad, anderson, prior, pietersen and the king of the popped collar, banter you to your face brigade graeme swann. **** being in that dressing room. toxic to the core.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Fan of KP but the Taylor stuff is crap. I always try and be extra nice to manlets their life is hard enough as it is