• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South African cricket racism issue: Report implicates Smith, Boucher and de Villiers

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yeah to me, having not read the full report but various other outlets' highlights of the reports, I feel Boucher definitely has to be held accountable for racist remarks. AB seems to be guilty of favoritism at worst. And I dont think Smith did anything wrong at all. This SJN report are not helping themselves bracketing all 3 into the same bucket.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
The issue with zondo one is. He was in the odi squad and elgar wasn't. You can't go dragging people from the test squad to play odi's. It shows clear bias. It can be debated whether it's racial bias but there is clear bias from AB.
How is it "clear bias" when Elgar is a far better white ball player and much better filled the role that the dumminy and Morris injuries left in the squad? Due process wasn't followed but it's far from a hard and cut case of clear and primarily bias.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I've had a look at the interim report, and if you think de Villiers was just "playing favourites" you're kidding yourself.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
I've had a look at the interim report, and if you think de Villiers was just "playing favourites" you're kidding yourself.
I really can't be ****ed reading through the 235 page report, was other evidence was bought up that makes this worse then just playing favourites?

TheJediBrah

How is it "clear bias" when Elgar is a far better white ball player and much better filled the role that the dumminy and Morris injuries left in the squad? Due process wasn't followed but it's far from a hard and cut case of clear and primarily bias.
Biased towards better players? terrible

TheJediBrah

Is he though?

Anyway, calling him up when he wasnt even in the squad and the zondo was is definitely dodgy imo. Wouldnt have been a problem if elgar had been in the squad already.
Agree with this. I can see how it would happen though. Sometimes you pick players in touring squads for experience but then get a whole lot of injuries and if you were in a situation where you needed to win a decider and could choose a better player over the one originally in the squad, it would be very tempting, even logical, to play the better player.

The problem was not picking Elgar in the first place

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Is he though?

Anyway, calling him up when he wasnt even in the squad and the zondo was is definitely dodgy imo. Wouldnt have been a problem if elgar had been in the squad already.
It was definitely dodgy, but can you immediately just call racism on it, with no other info suggesting that? Elgar does have a far superior record domestic one dayers and was experienced internationally at the time ftr.

Stefan9

International Debutant
Show me one other incident of any other international captain picking someone from the test squad to play ahead of a picked odi batsmen.
It's a clear bias. Also it's extremely debatable that elgar is a far better white ball player, his international record is a disaster in white ball cricket...

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Show me one other incident of any other international captain picking someone from the test squad to play ahead of a picked odi batsmen.
It's a clear bias. Also it's extremely debatable that elgar is a far better white ball player, his international record is a disaster in white ball cricket...
Zondo 32@71, Elgar 42@81 in domestic but he's not the clear better batsmen? SA needed somoene who could play as a 6th bowler due to injuries to both Morris and dumminy, and Elgar was a)prefered in that role in the prior A series and b)possessed tons more experience as a domestic bowler. Breaching oroceedire was suspect to put it lightly but it's clear that favouritism isn't the clearest alternative.

Dendarii

International Debutant
Thanks for this, helps a lot. The Adams/Boucher thing is clearly just awful ****. However I’m surprised apparently Adams only mentioned a single other player in his submission based on him saying it was a team song… Were there only 2 players singing it? Anyway I’m surprised he doesn’t out the others, not that it excludes Boucher at all from his actions.
Boucher is the only one from that team who's currently in the employ of CSA, so it's possible that Adams was specifically asked if Boucher was one of the players who sang it. While not excusing it, it is a little unfair for Boucher to be singled out when he was also a junior player at the time and therefore not necessarily an instigator.

Stefan9

International Debutant
Boucher is the only one from that team who's currently in the employ of CSA, so it's possible that Adams was specifically asked if Boucher was one of the players who sang it. While not excusing it, it is a little unfair for Boucher to be singled out when he was also a junior player at the time and therefore not necessarily an instigator.
He mentioned Johan louw in a separate incident. Presume boucher and louw are still involved in cricket and the rest aren't.

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
Tsolekile is a convicted match fixer though so I have no sympathy for him whatsoever
What if the structural racism caused him to lose faith in the system? He felt that South African cricket failed him and thus making him willing to sell out the game in order to achieve financial security?

Not saying that's what happened - I don't have any clue on the timeline of events or if he even was discriminated against - just that his crimes aren't justification for being discriminated against.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
What if the structural racism caused him to lose faith in the system? He felt that South African cricket failed him and thus making him willing to sell out the game in order to achieve financial security?

Not saying that's what happened - I don't have any clue on the timeline of events or if he even was discriminated against - just that his crimes aren't justification for being discriminated against.
No, they’re not. Obviously not being South African I can’t comment on how the system is or anything but in this particular case, there were viable other options, that the selectors chose (partially because they were better batsmen - blame Gilchrist for that). The selector who testified never mentioned anyone being discriminatory through the process at all, just saying that he voted for Tsolekile and that Smith said look I do my best with the team I’m given.