• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Yorkshire CCC racism crisis thread

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
This is one of the classical stereotypes that don't hold muster on a racial scale. The question becomes are people who are willing to give up the life they know, to move to a more hostile social environment just to try create a better life for their kids, more likely, in general, to be tougher parents on many levels. That does not make it a racial thing. That's about determination. Many people head overseas and head back home quickly because it was to much of a change for them. People don't like change, people given a choice largely stay put throughout their life. Of course then as an outsider when you see so many people of a certain racial group behave in a certain manner you start attributing that behavior to that racial group, rather than considering the specifics of the people themselves. This is how racial profiling comes about (and fails under scrutiny) because as people it is easy to look for the simple factors like skin colour to correlate observed behavior. Negative or positive.
Response noted, expected and and rejected.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
From my personal experiences and observations, I tend to align myself with many of Social's comments. When teaching I found the majority of Asian students pursued academia rather than sporting activities. This was very evident on visits to the local library. The majority of the those in the library were young Asians in what appeared to be study groups while, looking out the window one could see that the majority of those playing sport on the adjacent oval appeared to be of Anglo Saxon decent.
Much of this I would attribute to parental pressure as Asian parents seemed to (and I'm generalising here) have higher expectations in terms of academic achievement.
Is making these generalisations a racist trait?
Gnske seems to think it is wrong to link sporting prowess with physiological attributes. Given that I consider the highest achieving sprinters in athletics to be Afro-American (West African to be specific) and I'm including the Caribbean nations here, and that I consider the best long distance runners to be of East African origin, and that I note the best swimmers appear to be generally white then I am indeed guilty of racist comments/observations - even though I admire the physical attributes of all aforementioned groups just as admire the way Asian students apply themselves to academic studies.
Did you really just say Afro-American

Gnske

Can I just say, it's disappointing that there's so much resistance to the well accepted science that people no matter their socially constructed race can do anything.

That being said, I think social and LineandLength are just misguided. Especially LineandLength who despite his comment on Afro-Americans offers no explanation of how Caitlyn Jenner did what she did for mens track and field.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Now do Root, who not only shared a dressing room but a house with Ballance
He certainly has questions to answer. I thought we've established his position as captain is untenable and he should resign.

The question becomes are people who are willing to give up the life they know, to move to a more hostile social environment just to try create a better life for their kids, more likely, in general, to be tougher parents on many levels. That does not make it a racial thing. That's about determination.
This is a terrific point, well made.

complaints about people not eating meat
They're ****ing woeful. The worst of humanity.

Gnske

He certainly has questions to answer. I thought we've established his position as captain is untenable and he should resign.
Should he resign? Probably. Untenable? Hmm maybe not. He's down the list of English captains who have committed social injustices, Jardine being first and foremost from a professional and personal point of view.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
True. Look at Brearley, who was allowed to retain the captaincy after telling Dennis Lillee he couldn't use his preferred type of bat. Or Atherton, caught cheating red dirt-handed as captain, and allowed to remain. Fer shame.

Gnske

I'm sorry. What is the PC term I should have used? I'm simply showing my age and using a term commonly used in the past. No disrespect or racial comment intended.
Persons of Modern African Descent is the approved term that's been circulating the last few months. Honest mistake, all good mate.

social

Can I just say, it's disappointing that there's so much resistance to the well accepted science that people no matter their socially constructed race can do anything.

That being said, I think social and LineandLength are just misguided. Especially LineandLength who despite his comment on Afro-Americans offers no explanation of how Caitlyn Jenner did what she did for mens track and field.
Philippines is home to 111 million people

Basketball is one of the most popular sports in that country and it is more popular there than virtually anywhere else other than the USA

The Philippines has produced 2 nba players in history

Philippinos are the 5th shortest people on the planet

Do the math

Gnske

Philippines is home to 111 million people

Basketball is one of the most popular sports in that country and it is more popular there than virtually anywhere else other than the USA

The Philippines has produced 2 nba players in history

Philippinos are the 5th shortest people on the planet

Do the math
The NBA is known to be an extraordinarily structurally racist organisation. Not sure that's the best example. There are many socioeconomic factors that would face people of Filipino origin gaining admittance to the NBL. Especially given the last twenty years racism against persons of Asian descent has been well and truly on the rise as a symptom of the China hysteria.

social

The NBA is known to be an extraordinarily structurally racist organisation. Not sure that's the best example. There are many socioeconomic factors that would face people of Filipino origin gaining admittance to the NBL. Especially given the last twenty years racism against persons of Asian descent has been well and truly on the rise as a symptom of the China hysteria.
Just stop

The NBA is morally bankrupt and would kill for an Asian star as it would increase revenue

Yao Ming?

Jordan Clarkson was born in the Philippines, currently plays for the Utah Jazz and was the 6th man of the year last year