• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ATG/ATVG XI which didn't perform as per their reputation against your side

_00_deathscar

International Regular
Yeah, good shout. Waqar was pretty ordinary out here. Then again, Pakistan is usually pretty average out here for whatever reason.
It was part of the 1947 partition agreement.

We'll be epic in Australia and they'll be utterly ****.
We'll continue to **** our pants in England, while they'll show our former colonial masters who's really boss.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Compare his overall average to average against India.
Could say this about Murali v most proper countries because his overall average is weighted down so much by Ban + Zim
And that list missing a few saffers.. The 90s SAF team somehow struggled against Aus when, by all logic, they should have been giving them the toughest time.
Shaun Pollock 100%. Supposed to be a gun fast bowler, averaged nearly 40 against Aus

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
There's not many that have under-performed playing at home against England, but there are quite a few who have underperformed in England, even allowing for the conditions here. It's off the top of my head, including a fair bit of guesswork, so bear with me where I'm miles out.
1. Hayden
2. Warner
3. Sehwag
4. Williamson
5. Rowe
6. Walters
7. Marsh
8. Lee
9. Thomson
10. McDermott
11. Bedi
Kohli can come in for Rowe I think.

Burgey

It was part of the 1947 partition agreement.

We'll be epic in Australia and they'll be utterly ****.
We'll continue to **** our pants in England, while they'll show our former colonial masters who's really boss.
It took an awfully long time post-1947 for the first part of that agreement to be honored.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I always felt Dale Steyn was faintly sub par against England and, after a trip to statsguru, it turns out my feeling is justified. 50 wickets from 12 tests at 31.62 isn't awful, but it's some little way short of his career average of 22.95.

No real difference as to home or away either, in fact his average in Albion (31.65) is as close to his figure against England overall as makes no odds.

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
There's not many that have under-performed playing at home against England, but there are quite a few who have underperformed in England, even allowing for the conditions here. It's off the top of my head, including a fair bit of guesswork, so bear with me where I'm miles out.
1. Hayden
2. Warner
3. Sehwag
4. Williamson
5. Rowe
6. Walters
7. Marsh
8. Lee
9. Thomson
10. McDermott
11. Bedi
Some other possible batsmen:
Gavaskar (38 v England, 51 overall)
Sangakkara (40 v England, 57 overall)
Kallis (44 v England (35 in England), 55 overall)

Bowlers:
Grimmett (32 v England, 24 overall)
Wasim Akram (30 v England, 23 overall)

Kapil would qualify as a bowler (37 v England) but not as a batsman (41 v England).

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Jason Holder has really underperformed in NZ and got owned by Williamson and Nicholls last summer. In 3 tests in NZ he has taken 1 wicket for 247 runs.

OverratedSanity

This is ODIs not tests but Shoaib Malik was a mediocre 31 avg batsman against every other nation. And that's his reputation overall, but boy he didnt play like that vs us. Against India he basically turned into peak Zaheer Abbas, averaging 47 @ 88 SR and scored half his total hundreds.

Immenso

I can't really think of any, sadly it seems NZ are the team ATG and ATVG embellish their reputations on.

First one came to mind was perhaps Viv Richards, don't remember him doing anything. So looked it up, and part of that reason I don't remember him doing much is that he missed one of the few series between us during his career (79/80). He scored a single ton but in un-televised test from Carribbean. Overall record averaging 40ish.

Viv played 7 tests v NZ and 36 tests v England and 34 v Australia. Amazing.

Immenso

Looking it up via statsguru. For NZ

It would be Zaheer Abbass as a batsman (averaged 17.83 from an astounding 15 tests against us, that is actually terribly bad).
Lance Gibbs as a bowler (averaged 57.18 from 5 tests)
Kapil Dev underperformed v us with bat (averaged 14.78 from 10 tests, and also slightly worse than his career record with the ball)

No seam or pace bowling ATG badly underperformed v NZ, probably something to do with historic conditions. Michael Holding is lowest ranked ATG pacer v NZ averaging 34 with the ball from 7 tests.

For those with a decent amount of games (more than 10). It would be the above mentioned, Sobers, Abbas. Plus Vengsarker, Jayasuriya, Ian Bell. Kapil with the bat.

Slifer

International Captain
What a no rounder...
It's funny to think that had Sobers matched his average vs NZ, his overall batting average would've probably been around 60 odd. And he could've easily accomplished that. Why on earth was he so bad vs the kiwis??

Slifer

International Captain
I can't really think of any, sadly it seems NZ are the team ATG and ATVG embellish their reputations on.

First one came to mind was perhaps Viv Richards, don't remember him doing anything. So looked it up, and part of that reason I don't remember him doing much is that he missed one of the few series between us during his career (79/80). He scored a single ton but in un-televised test from Carribbean. Overall record averaging 40ish.

Viv played 7 tests v NZ and 36 tests v England and 34 v Australia. Amazing.
If I'm not mistaken, Lara also struggled vs NZ stats wise. Averaged 41 vs an overall average of 53. I say stats wise because in only one series did Lara really fail vs Nz. Otherwise, he went at 40+ in all other series. That's what small sample sizes will do to your record...