• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group D - Croatia, Czech Republic, England, Scotland

Who will qualify from the group?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
**** it, 4 more 1-0s and we are champs and haters can suck it :ph34r:

Not happy about the 5pm KO next Tues though. Going to cause me some pain

BoyBrumby

Englishman
We've won our group without conceding a goal (which I think is unprecedented for Euros and world cups) but I feel oddly flat.

We've kinda lost our identity as a team. It's great we have so many players who're comfortable on the ball now, but we've almost devolved into an Aldi Espana.

It's as if we're afraid to play long balls now. The lack of urgency grates with me, most of the second half seemed to be the back four passing amongst themselves with no real idea of where it was leading.

Thank god for Saka and, to a much lesser extent, Grealish who were at least prepared to take their man on.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
We've won our group without conceding a goal (which I think is unprecedented for Euros and world cups)
Well except for 1966 like

The only other clean sheet group stage was the second group stage in 82 but unfortunately we didn't score either

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The lack of urgency grates with me, most of the second half seemed to be the back four passing amongst themselves with no real idea of where it was leading.
In fairness it was one of the least urgent situations in the history of tournament football.

Spark

Global Moderator
We've kinda lost our identity as a team. It's great we have so many players who're comfortable on the ball now, but we've almost devolved into an Aldi Espana.
Okay but that identity was... bad, no? In terms of tournament success.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
We potentially have a last 16 draw where we could play close to our best and still lose, and the tournament would be declared an acute failure.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Yeah, he was awesome. Ran at his man with pace and awareness. His little feint to go past Soucek in the move that ultimately lead to the goal was a minor classic.

It's sad that, because we've been so very mediocre, it's probably slightly obscured how very good he really is. A lot of his best work has ended up ballooning behind for a goal kick off Pepe's shin.

Last edited:

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Gareth Southgate is secretly trying to win a bet that he can win a major tournament while scoring 6 goals, or less

flibbertyjibber

No the bookies. A lot of them had you joint favourites with France.
England are always shorter with the bookies as the mug punters back them every time whatever the odds so the bookies are covering their arses by shortening the price. In reality we should have been 12-1/14-1 before the tournament started basically because we always looked like winning the group and we could easily be battered in the last 16 meeting a side from that group. Never thought we would win it mymyself and seen nothing to change my mind in the 3 games so far.

What I will say is this, Saka and his pace meant we looked more of a threat but he will probably be dropped for Foden next week anyway.

Uppercut

England are always shorter with the bookies as the mug punters back them every time whatever the odds so the bookies are covering their arses by shortening the price. In reality we should have been 12-1/14-1 before the tournament started basically because we always looked like winning the group and we could easily be battered in the last 16 meeting a side from that group. Never thought we would win it mymyself and seen nothing to change my mind in the 3 games so far.

What I will say is this, Saka and his pace meant we looked more of a threat but he will probably be dropped for Foden next week anyway.
People keep repeating the "mug English punter" theory, but the prices in internationally operating bookies aren't much different. I don't think it adds up in the age of the internet and instant arbitrage opportunities. In 2016 I actually thought they were a bit overpriced given their early performances and easy route to the final.

The big factor in their favour was playing the semi-final and final at home. Playing at Wembley didn't stop them being mediocre in their first two games, but a full crowd might make a difference. So to an extent being poor in the group stages was priced in, but only to an extent - they're a bit shorter odds now than they were when the tournament began.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, he was awesome. Ran at his man with pace and awareness. His little feint to go past Soucek in the move that ultimately lead to the goal was a minor classic.

It's sad that, because we've been so very mediocre, it's probably slightly obscured how very good he really is. A lot of his best work has ended up ballooning behind for a goal kick off Pepe's shin.
It looks like you've read the piece in today's Guardian about him.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Haha just seen it from the angle when the camera is behind him. Like a goal you see scored on Fifa or whatever. Obscene.
It's a great finish but I can't help thinking that having a midfielder occasionally in the same postcode as Modric might have been a good idea.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
By scoring against Croatia and taking a point from England, Scotland have vastly overachieved based on my pre-tournament expectations. Clarke absolutely has to go, but he won't. We've been dreadful under Clarke for a year.