• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greatest finisher and clutch player ever?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Definitely. Steve Smith is a choker in 4th innings in test. Whereas his record in knockout matches in ODI WC is exceptional.
Exactly, whereas Kohli has a good record in T20 KOs, but appalling in WCs and in the third innings of tests, where he's basically a walking wicket.

sunilz

International Regular
Or may be the whole concept is overdone.
Choking is definitely a concept.

If Kohli wasn't a choker in knockout matches ,India would definitely have atleast 1 ICC trophy in last 7 years.

If Steve Smith wasn't a choker in 4th innings, Aus would definitely have won atleast 1 of 2 overseas series in IND/ENG .

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Choking is definitely a concept.

If Kohli wasn't a choker in knockout matches ,India would definitely have atleast 1 ICC trophy in last 7 years.

If Steve Smith wasn't a choker in 4th innings, Aus would definitely have won atleast 1 of 2 overseas series in IND/ENG .
Its is very brave for such a self confessed Sachin devotee to bring up choking in ICC tourneys and 4th innings of test matches. Very very brave.

sunilz

International Regular
Its is very brave for such a self confessed Sachin devotee to bring up choking in ICC tourneys and 4th innings of test matches. Very very brave.
No. I am comparing Kohli's knockout record to Gambhir and Smith's 4th innings record to Graeme Smith/Pant.

Hope , you are happy now .

Burgey

Completely unrelated: Kohli has 14 centuries but only 4 fifties in test 2nd innings.
Second dig of a test is generally the best time of a game to bat. It doesn’t surprise me a player as good as him would have a top record like that. Awesome record.

Last edited:

DJellett

International Debutant
Michael Hussey excellent clutch and finisher. So good at knowing the scenario and also hitting the right gear pretty much straight away. Dunno as much about in the IPL but in LO for Oz he was absolutely marvellous many many times

SillyCowCorner1

At Sabina Park, in 2006, Dwayne Bravo finished a matched by bowling a slower ball to dismiss a red-hot Yuvraj Singh.

To me, that was one of the greatest finish to an ODI game ever.

srbhkshk

International Captain
At Sabina Park, in 2006, Dwayne Bravo finished a matched by bowling a slower ball to dismiss a red-hot Yuvraj Singh.

To me, that was one of the greatest finish to an ODI game ever.
Ha, I remember that, was completely unexpected. We weren't losing too many games chasing those days anyway.

anil1405

International Captain
Gilchrist if he hasn't already been mentioned. Unmatched record in WC finals, the highest pressure situation in ODIs and a lot of very Pant-like test knocks from no. 7 in his time. the 149* to chase 450+ in the 4th innings in his second test was possibly the innings of the decade. A few very good tons in the subcontinent when his team were in trouble too, like India 2001 and Sri Lanka 2004
Wow. Pant has come a long way... so much so that Gilchrist is being compared to him instead of the other way round. That too from TJB.