• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* West Indies in New Zealand - Nov/Dec 2020

thundaboult

International Debutant
Hoping to see Jacob Duffy get a call-up for the T20's. Its finally, finally, FINALLY time to bin southee from LO matches completely. Enough is enough.

vandem

International 12th Man
Just looking at the last few scorecards at Seddon Park and Basin Reserve, I can't see Rakheem being used much. They verge from roads to seam friendly basically. Can any of our Kiwi friends confirm?
Seam friendly on day 1 then turns into a road. Sometimes enough bounce to keep the quicks interested all game. Spinners have taken wickets sometimes - Lyon took a 3- and 4- in 2016, mainly through Kiwis hitting in the air, trying to find some "easy" runs after relentless fast bowling at the other end.

Last edited:

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
I hope they get Preston McSween to bomb the batsman with short balls in the nets before the tests. Wagner is looming large and Chase and Dowrich both played him terribly last time.

Beamer

I expect big things from Roston Chase on this tour, especially with the bat. He has gone under the radar as Kraigg, Campbell and Hope have been so useless, but Chase has struggled almost as much.

He needs to step up and he needs to play Wagner much better than he did last time we were in NZ.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I expect big things from Roston Chase on this tour, especially with the bat. He has gone under the radar as Kraigg, Campbell and Hope have been so useless, but Chase has struggled almost as much.

He needs to step up and he needs to play Wagner much better than he did last time we were in NZ.
Yeah you're right; he's really gone under the radar in terms of being totally **** with the bat. Part of it is that others have been worse, part of it is that he's bowled pretty well, and part of it is the fact that he's batted better in limited overs cricket after initially being horrible at it.

I think he's just kind of cemented himself in people's psyches more as being a decent international standard cricketer, despite the fact that his Test batting (which has been **** lately) got him the shot at that originally.

Would be great to see him make some runs but I can see plenty of second slip dismissals for <20 unfortunately.

Flem274*

123/5
after the english tour im more concerned for how they fare against boult and southee on pre-christmas decks. the windies top order love getting caught on the crease.

im interested to see how roach goes. he bowls nice and full which is what you want down here but his kookaburra record is shocking. holder, gabriel and joseph tend to bowl a little too short for nz conditions so they will need to adjust. gabriel loves a yorker but consistent full length probing is the stuff.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
after the english tour im more concerned for how they fare against boult and southee on pre-christmas decks. the windies top order love getting caught on the crease.

im interested to see how roach goes. he bowls nice and full which is what you want down here but his kookaburra record is shocking. holder, gabriel and joseph tend to bowl a little too short for nz conditions so they will need to adjust. gabriel loves a yorker but consistent full length probing is the stuff.
You talk a lot about Kooka/Duke records but you get late swing with the new Kooka in NZ in a way you totally don't in Aus, so I don't think grouping them together is heaps useful all the time.

Roach bowls fast-med innies these days so I think he'll be gun here if he's properly fit tbh.

Strongly agree with the rest of your post.

Flem274*

123/5
You talk a lot about Kooka/Duke records but you get late swing with the new Kooka in NZ in a way you totally don't in Aus, so I don't think grouping them together is heaps useful all the time.

Roach bowls fast-med innies these days so I think he'll be gun here if he's properly fit tbh.

Strongly agree with the rest of your post.
yea i enjoyed his work in england moving it at 128kph but i had his stated preference for the duke in mind with that point. i don't trust him not to turn up here, get driven a few times and take the wuss option of dragging his length back.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
yea i enjoyed his work in england moving it at 128kph but i had his stated preference for the duke in mind with that point. i don't trust him not to turn up here, get driven a few times and take the wuss option of dragging his length back.
I haven't seen him wuss out for half a decade tbf. He'll bowl fast-med innies at whatever pace he can muster all day, even when it's a terrible idea.

Beamer

I agree with all this apart from Holder. He bowls really full nowadays and hits the stumps a hell of a lot whilst moving the ball more than anyone else in international cricket over the last 2 years (statistics highlighted by Sky, not just my thoughts). So I would put money on Jason being our best bowler. Keemo Paul is the best swing bowler in the Caribbean so I actually would put him above Alzarri for this tour.

Beamer

But yes the batting will likely be caught on the crease a lot as they're incompetent. Pre 'Big Idiot' Darren Bravo would score heaps of runs here but that was a long time ago so has to be a big if.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
For our older members, does anyone remember an ODI played against WI at the Basin during their 1994 tour of NZ? I only ask because it included my personal GOAT pitch invasion - when one of NZ's batsmen was dismissed by Curtly, a guy in a full-on elvis costume with a bat sauntered all the way out to the middle of the pitch, took guard and spent a couple of minutes tapping at the crease with his bat. Happily, Curtly wasn't in the mood to kill the guy, so after a few moments of bemused laughter, the guy tucked his bat back under his arm and strolled off again. He evidently somehow made it out of the ground without being caught, as I distinctly remember the NZ Police putting notices in The Dominion asking for any information that the public might have about his identity. I keep waiting and hoping for the incident to be put up on youtube, but as of yet no such luck.

nzfan

Can't wait for the test matches. Not so sure about T20s, the international T20s never inspired me and just want that done and over with.

If the sun starts to beat down the pitches could be flat. By December Basin could be flat but we do get some rain in December so you never know. Seddon Park is pretty much a road mostly. It's going to be a interesting little test series. I expect WI to do quite well in Hamilton. They're an exciting bunch, I rate them quite high now. They have good bowling attack and if the batting goes well they could certainly challenge us.

The Hutt Rec

For our older members, does anyone remember an ODI played against WI at the Basin during their 1994 tour of NZ? I only ask because it included my personal GOAT pitch invasion - when one of NZ's batsmen was dismissed by Curtly, a guy in a full-on elvis costume with a bat sauntered all the way out to the middle of the pitch, took guard and spent a couple of minutes tapping at the crease with his bat. Happily, Curtly wasn't in the mood to kill the guy, so after a few moments of bemused laughter, the guy tucked his bat back under his arm and strolled off again. He evidently somehow made it out of the ground without being caught, as I distinctly remember the NZ Police putting notices in The Dominion asking for any information that the public might have about his identity. I keep waiting and hoping for the incident to be put up on youtube, but as of yet no such luck.
I'm sure I was at that game, but have absolutely no memory of this alleged incident lol

Security was extremely lax at the Basin in those days though ... we spent the majority of the 1993 NZ Aus ODI second innings sitting on the inside of the fence with the guy on the PA system telling us to get behind the fence every few overs, but nobody actually came and got us to move at any stage :laugh:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Haha, did the exact same thing (complete with annoyed PA announcements and zero security) for the 1994 basin test v Pakistan.

The Hutt Rec

Haha, did the exact same thing (complete with annoyed PA announcements and zero security) for the 1994 basin test v Pakistan.
I’m pretty sure that was the test I actually walked onto the field to get Asif Mujtaba’s autograph haha. He wasn’t too happy, but did sign it.