• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Domestic off season 2020

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Figured it was time for a new thread

It is officially confirmed Siddle is heading to Tasmania on a two year contract. D'arcy Short on the other hand appears to be staying put at WA, was linked heavily with a move but that appears to have fallen through. Forkers Faulkner cut, not a big surprise when his knee issues have largely forced him into limited overs only

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Will be interested to see what Tasmania go with as their first choice pace attack. Siddle and Bird would clearly start by virtue of seniority I would think. Bell has a very solid record but is perhaps a bit too samey to the rest of the attack, Ellis had a barnstorming start to his FC career but only time can tell if he can repeat it, Meredith offers a point of difference with extra pace but can be a bit on the expensive side at times, Rogers an option too if he can stay fit. It's interesting to think about

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Rough on Milenko to get cut entirely imo. And a shame about former ODI representative and Steve Waugh Medalist Can-do Sandhu too.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If Peter Siddle is such a good guy, why did he end the careers of Forkers, Can Do and Enko by moving to tasmania

tony p

First Class Debutant
If Peter Siddle is such a good guy, why did he end the careers of Forkers, Can Do and Enko by moving to tasmania
He didn't, Faulkner has done little to warrant a new contract, and in my opinion is massively overrated, and the other 2 are just very average cricketers.
And i am a Tasmanian cricket fan, having grown up there, so not unhappy about this.

Surprised they haven't contracted Erin Fazackerley on the Women's side, she looks to have so much untapped potential.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Faulkner is a victim of circumstance, in any other state he would have played 50 tests and he has the skill to play 60.

Shady Slim

International Coach
Faulkner is a victim of circumstance, in any other state he would have played 50 tests and he has the skill to play 60.
perhaps in the same way that lahiru thirimanne has played that many sure but also like no

but i do get good memories of those summers where forkers bowled nothing but slow leg cutters in the JAMODI series against whoever was touring and won game after game for us that way lol

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
To me it seems like Tasmania see him as playing a Dan Marsh sort of role for them, in the side as more of a batsman who bowls handy left arm orthodox as avowed the being the spinner that bats that he was usually seen as over here. It's a bold call, but not completely beyond the realms of possibility as far as I'm concerned

They also went after Winter pretty hard, which makes zero sense as seam bowling is the one area they already have quite a bit of depth in. That one didn't eventuate

TheJediBrah

To me it seems like Tasmania see him as playing a Dan Marsh sort of role for them, in the side as more of a batsman who bowls handy left arm orthodox as avowed the being the spinner that bats that he was usually seen as over here. It's a bold call, but not completely beyond the realms of possibility as far as I'm concerned
That's very bold given how unproven he is as a batsman at that level. must really rate his grade form.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
That's very bold given how unproven he is as a batsman at that level. must really rate his grade form.
I was largely going along the lines of what has came out of the Tasmanian camp, not necessarily my personal opinion. He was a genuine 3 for the Peckers here, averaged a shade under 50 over the last few seasons, but doing that at Shield level (on one of the country's livelier decks no less) is a different challenge entirely.

A move down there did work pretty well for Mark Cosgrove for a while

morgieb

Hasn't he gunned it as a bat at Futures Level? He's also coming off a pretty good season at Shield level with the bat. It's no doubt a risk but I could see it come off.

TheJediBrah

I was largely going along the lines of what has came out of the Tasmanian camp, not necessarily my personal opinion. He was a genuine 3 for the Peckers here, averaged a shade under 50 over the last few seasons, but doing that at Shield level (on one of the country's livelier decks no less) is a different challenge entirely.

A move down there did work pretty well for Mark Cosgrove for a while
Of course, I wasn't implying that it was your personal opinion

It will be interesting to see how he goes if he gets a regular spot though

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Indeed it will, I do rate Andrews as a more than useful player and as much as it's a shame he's leaving South Australia I would genuinely like to see go well down in the apple isle.

Full Tasmanian list should have been out by now judging from what I've read in their various drip feed contract press releases. Disappointing that it isn't but probably there's a reason for that

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Brisbane clubs have been told that, subject to planned relaxations taking place, practice can commence in July and season will start in early September

Lots of cuts to junior pathways/reps at both state & national level with only U19s being spared

Clubs potentially picking up slack with several under age competitions

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Are these pathway programs any good? Haven’t you posted a bunch of times complaining about them

I mean, the strength of state cricket is built from grade cricket.

Last edited: