• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Football ATG General Arguing/Discussing Thread

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Started off as a midfielder but played a lot of, if not most his Premiership career at Blackburn as a right back iirc.

I remember reading articles saying Arsene rated him and tried to bring him to Arsenal too. Got a whole heap of us at school excited as **** by the prospect.

Edit: haha yes

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I struggled to recall other Aus defenders tbh, im sure Moore could handle sliding out one to the RB position. Lazaridis obviously would bw playing as an overlapping winger at times so Id see this formation often having just 3 at the back, which Big TP would be in the middle of with Neil and Moore covering the wider positions. Additionally having 2 GKs allows a bit more flexibility at the back.
He was an excellent centre half and a really poor right back. It would be like picking John Terry as a right back in an all time England team.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Here's my attempt at a 1970s XI

Banks
Carols Alberto, Swarzenbeck, Moore, Krol
Neeskens, Beckenbauer, Netzer
Pele, Cruyff
Muller

There's probably one forward too many, but you can't really leave out any of my front three. And Cruyff would be all over the park anyway.
Netzer may surprise a few people, but those of us who were there at the time know that the West Germany side that won the 1972 euros was superior to the WC winning side two years later.
Swarzenbeck may not have been world class, but he was good enough to get into that WG side as well as the Bayern Munich side that won three consecutive European Cups. I don 't really know who else would play in that position.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Here's my attempt at a 1970s XI

Banks
Carols Alberto, Swarzenbeck, Moore, Krol
Neeskens, Beckenbauer, Netzer
Pele, Cruyff
Muller

There's probably one forward too many, but you can't really leave out any of my front three. And Cruyff would be all over the park anyway.
Netzer may surprise a few people, but those of us who were there at the time know that the West Germany side that won the 1972 euros was superior to the WC winning side two years later.
Swarzenbeck may not have been world class, but he was good enough to get into that WG side as well as the Bayern Munich side that won three consecutive European Cups. I don 't really know who else would play in that position.
Passarella?

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Passarella?
I thought about him, and I couldn't really argue strongly either way. Leftie wasn't he, like Moore? And I preferred one of each in centre defence, but I won't pretend that's the strongest argument ever. There's a case that he should play instead of Moore, whose 1970s output didn't last beyond the 1970 WC and would walk into the 1960s side.

Last edited:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Kempes would be a decent shout for that side too. Also Pele might be more of a 60s player, if anything.
Yeah, Kempes was amazing in 1978. Pele's a tricky one for this discussion as he retired soon after the 1970 WC and missed much of the 1962 and 1966 tournaments through injuries and Brazil not making it through the group stage in 1966. But of course there is life beyond WCs and he did plenty elsewhere during the 1960s. I could be persuaded to pick Kempes ahead of him in a team of the 1970s. As Jonathan Wilson pointed out, Pele's most memorable contributions during the 1970 WC didn't actually count for anything (the lob from the half way line but just wide against Czeckoslavakia and dummying the Uruguayan keeper before rolling the ball wide of an open goal).

Maybe it would then come down to a choice between Kempes and Muller to create a more balanced side.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
No room for Paul Breitner?
Straight choice between him and Krol isn't it? Without the latter, I would only have two players from the 1974 Dutch team, which was never going to happen. Both were right-footed left backs iirc, so I suppose one of them could, in theory, play at right back. But I don't know if either ever did much of that sort of thing.

Last edited:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
A 1960s side is even harder, unless they play in a ridiculously attacking formation.

Yashin
Djalma Santos, AN Other, Moore (instead of in the 70s team), Facchetti
Didi, Charlton
Garrincha, Eusebio, Pele, Best

I have no idea who else should play in defence. Others may know more about the Brazilian defenders in 1962 than I do. A more balanced team could include Zito or even Rivera instead of one of the forwards. Or even Rattin in a holding role.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
A 1960s side is even harder, unless they play in a ridiculously attacking formation.

Yashin
Djalma Santos, AN Other, Moore (instead of in the 70s team), Facchetti
Didi, Charlton
Garrincha, Eusebio, Pele, Best

I have no idea who else should play in defence. Others may know more about the Brazilian defenders in 1962 than I do. A more balanced team could include Zito or even Rivera instead of one of the forwards. Or even Rattin in a holding role.
Could maybe make an argument for Billy McNeill in the centre of defence?

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Very true. Still a rare find nonetheless.

By the way Magrat, I think you owe me a few Zimbabewan dollars ;-)

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Been watching a lot of Maradona videos lately, what a player. Absolute ****ing genius.

And despite him being an utter bogan and a drug cheat, there's something incredibly magnetic and powerful about his personality on the pitch. Just haven't seen that kind of influence from any footballer since then.