• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Football ATG General Arguing/Discussing Thread

Furball

Evil Scotsman
A 90s side with a magic square midfield (players chosen for their best decade only)

GK Schmeichel

RB Thuram
CB Hierro
CB Stam
LB Maldini

DM Keane
MF Matthaus
MF Laudrup
CAM Baggio

CF Ronaldo
CF Romario

Cafu had his best years in the 2000s imo, and the same goes for Nesta, Zidane, Scholes. Baresi in the 80s. Matthaus I am not sure about if he was better in the 80s or not. If not him, then Redondo.
That's a pretty terrible defence with the exception of Maldini.

Desailly should be the first centre half on a 90s team of the decade list. Costacurta, Nesta, Montero and Ferrara are all far better shouts at centre back than Hierro as well. Matthaus and Laudrup are also poor picks at centre midfield, and I'm not convinced Romario is team of the decade material either given his top level career is basically one good season at Barcelona and one good World Cup.

Given the strength of Serie A in the 1990s it's amazing that you've picked 6 players who did not play a single game in Serie A in the 1990s.

Last edited:

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

Desailly should be the first centre half on a 90s team of the decade list. Costacurta, Nesta, Montero and Ferrara are all far better shouts at centre back than Hierro as well. Matthaus and Laudrup are also poor picks at centre midfield, and I'm not convinced Romario is team of the decade material either given his top level career is basically one good season at Barcelona and one good World Cup.

Given the strength of Serie A in the 1990s it's amazing that you've picked 6 players who did not play a single game in Serie A in the 1990s.
I genuinely don't know much about Montero and Ferrara. Costacurta is an oversight, yeah, completely forgot about him. Desailly was in the mix, for sure. Certainly don't think he was worse than Hierro. Have no issue with Hierro being replaced. He was the last name I put on the team.

Matthaus is the quintessential box to box midfielder and is absolutely the right choice imo. Laudrup I would never drop, and he's gonna play no matter what in my team.

Even though I agree Romario wasn't as great as his raw numbers suggest, the only comparable options are Raul, Batistuta, and Shearer. I prefer Romario.

Edit: Also, Thuram was fantastic. Stam too imo. It's not a terrible defense.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Striker wise you've got Batistuta, Vialli, Mancini, Vieri, Zamorano, Zola, Crespo, del Piero and, if I feel like leaving Italy, Stoichkov.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Haha I probably under-rate Thuram because the one time I saw him in the flesh he got absolutely schooled by Michael Mols.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I like Carlos, and he certainly provides an excellent attacking option, but Maldini is maybe the greatest LB of all time. And he didn't play as CB in the 90s.

Matthaus was a box to box midfielder. Strange to have an issue with him playing in the midfield.
Matthaus doesn't make a 90s side as a midfielder IMHO

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Favourite side from the players I've seen

Banks
Carlos Alberto
Puyol
Moore
Maldini
Platini
Neeskins
Socrates
Messi
Cruyff
Van Basten

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hierro just wasn't that good. Serie A defenders were on a different level to everyone else in the 90s, don't think I'd even have gone for Stam.

ripper868

International Coach
GK: Mark Bosnich/Schwarzer
LB: Stan Lazaridis
CB: Lucas Neil
CB: Tony Popovic
RB: Craig Moore
CM: Ned Zelic
CM: Vince Grella
CAM: Marco Bresciano
CAM: Tim Cahill (c)
SS: Harry Kewell
ST: Mark Viduka

sledger

Spanish_Vicente

Haha I typed out a big spew chewing you out on this, but then realised you were talking about Romario rather than Ronaldo.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Ah. If you think that, then, yeah, definitely he should be in that XI ahead of Hierro.
2000s/Milan Nesta was still really good, but late 90s/Lazio Nesta was an absolutely incredible defender. One of these players who despite regularly being included in "best defenders" lists, is still underrated imo.

Agree with uppercut's general point about Hierro though. Nothing wrong with him, bloke just was nothing special relative to his peers.

harsh.ag

GK Schmeichel

RB Thuram
CB Desailly
CB Nesta
LB Maldini

DM Keane
MF Redondo
MF Laudrup
CAM Baggio

CF Ronaldo
CF Romario

Desailly and Nesta come in for Hierro and Stam. Redondo comes in for Matthaus (who appears to have been better in the 80s).

harsh.ag

How good was Redondo. What a **** way to get a peak ending injury. Madrid forcing him out to finance Figo was one of their worst calls ever.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Don’t think many would think of Redondo but he’s a great shout. Roy Keane said something along the lines of that playing against Redondo made him ashamed of his ability and the ability of his team. That they all thought they were among the best players in the world but Redondo’s technical ability showed them how much better they could be.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I only really remember watching Redondo once, and it was in a CL game against Man Utd in 99 I think, or maybe slightly after. And he was absolutely brilliant. If I recall highlights of him from that game were used in ITV's intro for CL coverage for years afterwards.