• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England players and selection discussion thread

SeamUp

International Coach
Outside of Root, Bairstow and the all-rounders like Stokes, Ali these are the recent batsman to debut for England in tests. Quite an eye-opener.

Haseeb Hameed 3 matches 219 runs @ 43.80 (0) hundreds
Gary Ballance 23 matches 1498 runs @ 37.45 (4) hundreds
Mark Stoneman 5 matches 254 runs @ 31.75 (0) hundreds
Jos Buttler 18 matches 784 runs @ 31.36 (0) hundreds
Sam Robson 7 matches 336 runs @ 30.54 (1) hundred
Nick Compton 16 matches 775 runs @ 28.70 (2) hundreds
Alex Hales 11 matches 573 runs @ 27.28 (0) hundreds
James Taylor 7 matches 312 runs @ 26.00 (0) hundreds
Dawid Malan 7 matches 297 runs @ 24.75 (0) hundreds
Keaton Jennings 6 matches 294 runs @ 24.50 (1) hundred
Tom Westley 5 matches 193 runs @ 24.12 (0) hundreds
James Vince 9 matches 314 runs @ 20.43 (0) hundreds
Adam Lyth 7 matches 265 runs @ 20.38 (1) hundred
Ben Duckett 4 matches 110 runs @ 15.71 (0) hundreds

England batsman James Vince must improve or risk losing his No 3 spot

Ashes 2017: Michael Vaughan and Geoffrey Boycott slam James Vince | Metro News

Bijed

International Regular
Outside of Root, Bairstow and the all-rounders like Stokes, Ali these are the recent batsman to debut for England in tests. Quite an eye-opener.

Haseeb Hameed 3 matches 219 runs @ 43.80 (0) hundreds
Gary Ballance 23 matches 1498 runs @ 37.45 (4) hundreds
Mark Stoneman 5 matches 254 runs @ 31.75 (0) hundreds
Jos Buttler 18 matches 784 runs @ 31.36 (0) hundreds
Sam Robson 7 matches 336 runs @ 30.54 (1) hundred
Nick Compton 16 matches 775 runs @ 28.70 (2) hundreds
Alex Hales 11 matches 573 runs @ 27.28 (0) hundreds
James Taylor 7 matches 312 runs @ 26.00 (0) hundreds
Dawid Malan 7 matches 297 runs @ 24.75 (0) hundreds
Keaton Jennings 6 matches 294 runs @ 24.50 (1) hundred
Tom Westley 5 matches 193 runs @ 24.12 (0) hundreds
James Vince 9 matches 314 runs @ 20.43 (0) hundreds
Adam Lyth 7 matches 265 runs @ 20.38 (1) hundred
Ben Duckett 4 matches 110 runs @ 15.71 (0) hundreds

England batsman James Vince must improve or risk losing his No 3 spot

Ashes 2017: Michael Vaughan and Geoffrey Boycott slam James Vince | Metro News
Man, I wish Hameed hadn't gone and forgotten how to bat in the County Championship this year. He's still really young and has plenty of time to come good again, but we could do with it happening sooner rather than later.

SeamUp

International Coach
Man, I wish Hameed hadn't gone and forgotten how to bat in the County Championship this year. He's still really young and has plenty of time to come good again, but we could do with it happening sooner rather than later.
Bizareness of it all was that in the innings he did play it looked like nothing fazed him.

He is an absolute must for England to get back to his early promise.

2 years time, it is questionable whether both Cook and Stoneman will be around so you may need 2 openers.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
I cannot believe how Lyth's form plummeted after his England stint. Didn't he get dropped back into the seconds last season? It wasn't that long ago that Lyth and Lees were the best opening partnership in the championship.

SeamUp

International Coach
I cannot believe how Lyth's form plummeted after his England stint. Didn't he get dropped back into the seconds last season? It wasn't that long ago that Lyth and Lees were the best opening partnership in the championship.
He recently slammed a T20 160.

How he did that will be anybody's guess.

FBU

International Debutant
How does Jake Ball still get selected?

Tests 114.33
ODIs 42.52 econ 6.25

FBU

International Debutant
He's in the ODI squad

Plunkett 30.22 econ 5.79
Woakes 31.45 econ 5.58
Rashid 32.02 econ 5.55
Willey 34.88 econ 5.80
Stokes 38.20 econ 6.12
Ball 42.52 econ 6.25
Wood 42.66 econ 5.39
Ali 51.04 econ 5.12
Curran 62.00 econ 6.20 (1 game)

Just looking at a few Aussies
Starc 20.13 econ 4.81
Hazelwood 23.85 econ 4.69
Coulter-Nile 26.62 econ 5.31
Cummins 29.24 econ 5.41
Faulkner 30.85 econ 5.53
Zampa 31.10 econ 5.63

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
England will probably win the one-day stuff, but I can never muster much enthusiasm for the tacked-on limited over bilaterals - especially after a series as important as the Ashes.

SeamUp

International Coach
BUMP

England's Test future to be monitored this summer.

Batsmen
Haseeb Hameed
Nick Gubbins
Harry Brook
Joe Clarke
Liam Livingstone
Dan Lawrence
Sam Hain

Spinners
Jack Leach
Dom Bess
Mason Crane
Matthew Parkinson

Stock seamers
Craig Overton
Jamie Porter
Matthew Fisher

Strike seamers
Richard Gleeson
Jamie Overton
George Garton
Saqib Mahmood
Josh Tongue

Worth a read (Interesting they say that Tom Barber is the quickest bowler clocked at Loughborough at 94mph but he needs to play for Middlesex. Also mentions Zak Chappell & Olly Stone with others mentioned above)

Ashes: What difference does an extra 5mph make for a fast bowler? - BBC Sport

Is the idea of Alastair Cook moving to 5 ala Gooch totally **** ? Stokes and Bairstow at 6/7 to increase tempo around him if necessary. Allows for senior experience to stay and accumulate in the middle order if new blood comes in as openers and at 3/4

Last edited:

LegionOfBrad

International Debutant
Would be nice to see some pace. More that all our bowlers are to samey in terms of pace/height. Uncle Phil once again showing today pace isn't everything.

Anyway wrote this in another thread but I want Barstow up the order. He won't want to but tough.

SeamUp

International Coach
Would be nice to see some pace. More that all our bowlers are to samey in terms of pace/height. Uncle Phil once again showing today pace isn't everything.

Anyway wrote this in another thread but I want Barstow up the order. He won't want to but tough.
I reckon he is the sort of cricketer that would love the challenge.

But then how would you balance it out ? There was a stage I was thinking bring Foakes in so he can just bat but I don't think it is going to happen is it ?

Moeen lost his spot so does Stokes bat 7 ?

LegionOfBrad

International Debutant

But then how would you balance it out ? There was a stage I was thinking bring Foakes in so he can just bat but I don't think it is going to happen is it ?

A suggestion would be:

Foakes in at seven. Bairstow to 5. Malan 3. He's been in an around the squad so it's on the mind of the selectors. Though we're getting all new selectors.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Kind of surprising that Foakes did not play at least one Test over the winter. Have always liked Bairstow where he is and his keeping has been excellent so would only make that move if they are convinced that Foakes makes the side on his batting alone (even if he actually kept.) Given the standard of our batting that might well be the case anyway.

TRJ should come back in and you would hope Leach gets a decent run, no idea about the batting.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

I don't think the selectors/management would be too keen on having Bairstow bat higher than five while keeping for workload reasons, especially given the amount of Tests and cricket overall England play, and the fact that he plays ODIs too. Even five might be pushing it. So if he went up the order further than that, Foakes would bat seven.

I'd just leave him be though -- maybe swap him with Stokes, but only maybe, and that'd be it. Time to give Livingstone a run if they want to tinker with the middle order IMO.

FBU

International Debutant
Vince and Stoneman to go. 6 catches dropped between them in the last Test.