• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Test Selection Thread 2017 - 2018

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Australia in Bangladesh 2017

AUSTRALIA TEST SQUAD FOR QANTAS TOUR OF BANGLADESH:

Steve Smith (c), David Warner (vc), Ashton Agar, Hilton Cartwright, Pat Cummins, Peter Handscomb, Josh Hazlewood, Usman Khawaja, Nathan Lyon, Glenn Maxwell, James Pattinson, Matthew Renshaw, Matthew Wade

I guess that O'Keefe is done representing Australia, sadly.

Warner
Renshaw
Khawaja
Smith
Handscomb
Wade
Agar
Cummins
Pattinson
Lyon
Hazelwood

Perhaps trade Maxwell in for Khawaja if that's the way they wanna go. Might be a better bet over there.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
For reasons nothing at all to do with cricket most likely
Getting sloshed and going on apparently offensive rants at official functions probably isn't the best way to ingratiate yourself with your employers. No matter what motive that CA had for not picking O'Keefe before he really has not helped himself there.

Gob

International Coach
Yeah lets drop the bloke who won the only test match in India for 13 years for a series in the subcontinent. ****ing ********

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Agree with the Agar over O'Keefe criticism. I suppose O'Keefe probably has too much baggage now but I really don't get what they see with Agar. He's not good enough to be a batsman or a bowler at this level, IMO. If they pick Agar to bat 7 it'd be dumb as ****.

burr

State Vice-Captain
There's just no consistency with these selections, it's so frustrating. They appear to be experimenting with our national side in all forms. One minute it's Cartwright, then he's out and Stoinis is in; and then, oh no, wait...we prefer Maxwell, then we'll try Henriques for one-dayers before getting back to Cartwright. I can't keep up. And that's not even starting with the spinners. I have no faith these selectors have any clue what they are doing or any real strategic or long-term plan.

social

Yeah, selections are all over the place

Warner, Wade and Agar are all extremely lucky IMO

Having said that, it's probably irrelevant as tour is at best a 50/50 proposition and timing of this announcement seems more to do with pay dispute than anything else

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
O'Keefe has done himself no favours with his behaviour, in the modern era you can't act the way he apparently has and expect to be given national honours.

On Agar, the issue is that there are no spinners in SS cricket. Ahmed is out of favour with Vic. Zampa has been ok but hardly demanded selection. Maxwell's problem is he offers no variation to Lyon. Agar only played 4 SS matches last year, but took 16 wickets which is pretty ok. I guess they're hedging their bets really, and hoping he'll just be good like players sometimes do at test level.

TBH in the subcontinent I'd prefer to see:

Warner
Renshaw
Smith
Ferguson
Handscomb
Maxwell
Nevill
Pattinson
Cummins
Hazelwood
Lyon

social

O'Keefe has done himself no favours with his behaviour, in the modern era you can't act the way he apparently has and expect to be given national honours.

On Agar, the issue is that there are no spinners in SS cricket. Ahmed is out of favour with Vic. Zampa has been ok but hardly demanded selection. Maxwell's problem is he offers no variation to Lyon. Agar only played 4 SS matches last year, but took 16 wickets which is pretty ok. I guess they're hedging their bets really, and hoping he'll just be good like players sometimes do at test level.

TBH in the subcontinent I'd prefer to see:

Warner
Renshaw
Smith
Ferguson
Handscomb
Maxwell
Nevill
Pattinson
Cummins
Hazelwood
Lyon
Holland has taken heaps of wickets in the last few seasons and should be miles in front of Agar

Starfighter

If Mehdi bowls anything like as well as he did against the English, and the pitches are as dry, then Warner's in for an 'interesting' time.

TheJediBrah

Holland has taken heaps of wickets in the last few seasons and should be miles in front of Agar
Aus selectors are obsessed with weird-head-shaped balding spinners and they see potential in Agar. Give him a few years and he'll basically look like a lankier Nathan Lyon.

Gnske

Why the **** is Agar 2nd spinner.

Meanwhile Swepson gets thrown to the dogs and Holland isn't even in the squad? Even James Muirhead would have been a more apt choice than Ashton "I once fell two short of a century you know" Agar.

Daemon

I thought O'Keefe was a nerdy good boy type. He got drunk and went on a rant because he wanted to fit in with the boys imo. Lehmann probably encouraged him. It's all a conspiracy. Warner punched a dude and was rewarded with vice captaincy. $20,000 is pretty harsh and then to be banned from the matador and not get selected for tests after that. Sad.

Spark

Global Moderator
Why the **** is Agar 2nd spinner.

Meanwhile Swepson gets thrown to the dogs and Holland isn't even in the squad? Even James Muirhead would have been a more apt choice than Ashton "I once fell two short of a century you know" Agar.
Swepson should never have been there in the first place tho

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
I'd say O'Keefe is a tad unlucky but I'm not totally surprised; he was the least effective spinner from both sides in the final 3 Tests and his limitations without a heavily spin-friendly track were shown up.

As for Agar over SOK or Holland, that has Greg Chappell's fingerprints all over it.

TheJediBrah

I thought O'Keefe was a nerdy good boy type. He got drunk and went on a rant because he wanted to fit in with the boys imo. Lehmann probably encouraged him. It's all a conspiracy. Warner punched a dude and was rewarded with vice captaincy. $20,000 is pretty harsh and then to be banned from the matador and not get selected for tests after that. Sad.
Not sure if you're serious or not but no, that wasn't an isolated incident for O'Keefe. I still don't think it should affect selection that much but he's had issues with drinking and behaviour in the past