• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Test Selection Thread 2017 - 2018

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Such as? I'm genuinely interested, I don't follow much overseas cricket, as you well know.

Last few years Australian selectors have been brutal with guys like Haddin and Watson

I just find it odd that many guys lose form and are suddenly injured. In India at least I recall Dhawan and Rahul and now Vijay seemingly injured out of nowhere. Too lazy to recollect and list all instances but its way too many times now I read that so and so is injured without anyone knowing and I go "wow, that's convenient, as we all thought he will get dropped"... Might just be me building sand castles here but its been curious.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Mitch Marsh lost his smile.
just want everyone to know I almost liked this post

yeah, pretty sure he was really just injured. It's not some conspiracy to hide the fact that he was actually dropped
I think it's probably a bit of both. They're dropping him for the next test, his injury probably means they're not picking him again for the fourth test no matter what happens in the third, so get a replacement over.

TheJediBrah

I think it's probably a bit of both. They're dropping him for the next test, his injury probably means they're not picking him again for the fourth test no matter what happens in the third, so get a replacement over.
Wouldn't surprise me. Maybe if he hadn't have been so useless they would have kept him on tour.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Often times elite athletes carry injuries and it's only when they can't handle it any more that they announce it. Happens all the time.

Midwinter

State Captain
Stoinis has been in shocking form with the bat this summer, his 46 against WA yesterday is his highest score, the 140odd against NZ was the exception which proved the rule.

Even with the 46 included he still only averaging 15 for the season in the Shield.

Could be a certainty then ?

burr

State Vice-Captain
So frustrating! When they pick on form it works, i.e. Renshaw and Handscombe. When they don't pick on form it doesn't, ala Maddinson and Marsh. What is so hard to grasp?

I'm really frustrated for Henriques and with the selectors. They are undermining the integrity of the Shield by taking decisions like this. Grrr.

Midwinter

State Captain
So the numbers for this season are

Batting
Stoinis 172 @15
Henriques 659 @ 66

Bowling
Stoinis 8 @ 40
Henriques 3 @ 57

Can only assume Henriques has had his card marked.

Starfighter

While Stoinis may play for Victoria he was born in Perth. Gotta keep the WA quota up somehow.

social

I just find it odd that many guys lose form and are suddenly injured. In India at least I recall Dhawan and Rahul and now Vijay seemingly injured out of nowhere. Too lazy to recollect and list all instances but its way too many times now I read that so and so is injured without anyone knowing and I go "wow, that's convenient, as we all thought he will get dropped"... Might just be me building sand castles here but its been curious.
Sat out weeks with a shoulder injury recently so no conspiracy, just another reason why he should never have been picked in the first place

Midwinter

State Captain
Also in the India Thread

The career numbers

Wickets
Stoinis 32@48
Henriques 101@32

Perhaps he should have said Stoinis is a long term prospect that we want to have around the setup.
(like Swepson and Agar)
Because on his record and on form the selectors are making themselves look foolish.

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
I don't actually know that he is tbh. Henriques is a better bat than both.
Henriques seams to be a more likely choice, however the bowling seams the reason Stoinis was given the nod. I can't believe that but he's taken a few poles lately.
To me Henriques and Faulkner are better choices as both have significant experience playing in India and the subcontinent, albeit mostly T20 for Forkers

Burgey

Dunno if Forkers form with the bat is good enough at six but then Moises aside neither is that of the others. I'd rate his cutters on these decks though. Even more so if we had a keeper who could stand up to the stumps to them.

Gnske

I'd have been less miffed if they chose Milenko as the the gaping hole's replacement.

But Henriques has been absolutely shafted here, there's no way in hell Stoinis should be playing any test cricket.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
If our spinners are doing enough, we won't need a huge amount of overs from our third seamer anyway. Gah.