• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Test Selection Thread 2017 - 2018

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
With an unexpected win over India in India, will we keep the same side for the second test?

Warner - Renshaw - Smith - S.Marsh - Handscomb - M.Marsh - Wade - O'Keefe - Starc - Hazelwood - Lyon

Some question marks over both Marshes, neither of whom made a significant contribution with the bat, while the brevity of both India's innings meant M.Marsh's bowling wasn't required at all in this test.

Only left field thing you might imagine is Agar in for M.Marsh at #6 to give us another left arm orthodox option after O'Keefe's bag. Can't see Khawaja coming back in until at least the third test. Gotta pick and stick a bit.

Compton

International Debutant
I reckon they'll go unchanged.

They should drop MMarsh though because he's awful. I'd play Maxwell.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
They'll go unchanged until we drop a game. Then the Marsh boys will probably come under scrutiny, not sure on anyone else though.

TheJediBrah

I reckon they'll go unchanged.

They should drop MMarsh though because he's awful. I'd play Maxwell.
If the wicket isn't going to turn as much, Maxwell should come in for Lyon. Starc, Haze, Marsh and Maxy should be able to take 8 wickets between them after O'Keefe's usual 12-for

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I just want Maxwell in because he's played some amazing innings in the past 12 months. that 140 against SL in the t20 was one of the most insane innings of all time. This guy has such a higher ceiling than Marsh - yes there's a chance he'l **** up and fail but god Marsh looks like he has to fight so hard for his 30s(and then gets praised for them like hes scored 80+) and you just know he's eventually gonna get out the way he bats, he looks so timid and unconfident at the crease - something Maxwell has never looked and never will look. yes he's probably too arrogant but he can so easily get it right and go big

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Maxwell in

I've said that before every Australian Test for the last 5 years but this time it might actually happen

Red

Agree. Wouldn't mind seeing Moises over there TBH.

Red

MMarsh has gone home with a shoulder injury so there'll be one change at least.

Red

Lehmann said they'll fly in a like for like replacement and mentioned Henriques, Cartright and Stoinis.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Seems a very convenient injury at this point of the series. :p

Whatever happened to just dropping someone though? So many players pick up injuries that no one seems to know about these days from all teams. Just think everyone hates to admit when someone is dropped.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
MMarsh has gone home with a shoulder injury so there'll be one change at least.
So the love-fest can continue without actually having to pick him..... win-win for everybody then (or lose-lose depending on point of view).

TheJediBrah

Seems a very convenient injury at this point of the series. :p

Whatever happened to just dropping someone though? So many players pick up injuries that no one seems to know about these days from all teams. Just think everyone hates to admit when someone is dropped.
yeah, pretty sure he was really just injured. It's not some conspiracy to hide the fact that he was actually dropped

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
yeah guess it seems legit in this instance but I just see this thing happening all the time with all players across the world.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If they're flying someone out it really should be Henriques. He's in incredible touch right now with the bat and being a dubber he's playing on the flattest, spinniest wicket we have.

Would probably rather him than Maxwell if we are going to play two spinners.

TheJediBrah

yeah guess it seems legit in this instance but I just see this thing happening all the time with all players across the world.
Such as? I'm genuinely interested, I don't follow much overseas cricket, as you well know.

Last few years Australian selectors have been brutal with guys like Haddin and Watson