• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in England 2015

Flem274*

123/5
In another case of the knee-jerk, I think it's entirely likely that Ronchi now holds the Test spot and BJ has to earn the right to represent New Zealand all over again. From what I'm hearing, Hesson's very much on #TeamDonkey and isn't exactly a fan of Watling.
this would be ridiculous if it happened.

watling is the fourth best batsman in the country, he plays every game.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
You're making the assumption that McCullum would score more runs if he batted more carefully. He wouldn't. He bats like this because that's the way he's gonna score the most runs.
No, I want him to play attacking cricket. Just after getting his eye in a little.

Mike5181

International Captain
Hesson has never been anti-Watling, so other than the CW tinfoil hat brigade circa 2013, I'm not sure where that's come from.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
In another case of the knee-jerk, I think it's entirely likely that Ronchi now holds the Test spot and BJ has to earn the right to represent New Zealand all over again. From what I'm hearing, Hesson's very much on #TeamDonkey and isn't exactly a fan of Watling.
No, Hesson is not on team Ronchi. There's no way Watling is getting dropped this year.

Flem274*

123/5
have you seen baz's defensive game early on? his main weakness with that back of his is wicket to wicket bowling...

he's better off whacking a few early and putting the bowler off which gives him time to get everything working. he (and half the bloody team actually) is a poor starter. i mean everyone in cricket is vulnerable early but he and ross and anderson and ronchi and even watling are below the average.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Not enough is being talked about the fact that McCullum could have been out a few times before his 41 as well. So this whole strategy is baloney.
Could we? I watched all up until tea and iirc he offered nothing. The closest being the pull off the gloves that Buttler had a leap at but was still a few inches away. He wasn't dropped, didn't edge any just short of a slip or have any borderline LBW shouts. Up until tea he played an aggressive but good innings for mine.

And given we'll probably have the equivalent of 3 days play overall, batting aggressive to try and give us maximum time to bowl England out twice to try and force a win was the order of the day, even when we were 2-2. I honestly expected us to fold for <150 after those 2 wickets, but look where we are now. nearly 300 runs in 65 overs of Test cricket. Not the worst innings on record. :mellow:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Harsh is correct. Just your logic you are putting forward is inconsistent at times.

If you are going to get out first ball of a session trying to hit a boundary you deserve to be criticised. If it comes off you deserve to be called daring.

On the shot where he got out his balance was all wrong. Didn't commit to the shot.

harsh.ag

Could we? I watched all up until tea and iirc he offered nothing. The closest being the pull off the gloves that Buttler had a leap at but was still a few inches away. He wasn't dropped, didn't edge any just short of a slip or have any borderline LBW shouts. Up until tea he played an aggressive but good innings for mine.

And given we'll probably have the equivalent of 3 days play overall, batting aggressive to try and give us maximum time to bowl England out twice to try and force a win was the order of the day, even when we were 2-2. I honestly expected us to fold for <150 after those 2 wickets, but look where we are now. nearly 300 runs in 65 overs of Test cricket. Not the worst innings on record. :mellow:

Broad to McCullum, FOUR, edged! Wide of the slips down to third man. No holding back, again. Full on off stump and he threw his hands through the drive

Stokes to McCullum, 1 run, now McCullum drives without much footwork and gets an inside edge to long leg

My broad point is not that I think McCullum should not play attacking cricket, but this attacking from the first ball nonsense has to stop. It is too reckless and the cost-benefit analysis is bad.

harsh.ag

It's just not good enough to say he won't even try and apply himself, even if the situation is dire.

Flem274*

123/5
Hesson has never been anti-Watling, so other than the CW tinfoil hat brigade circa 2013, I'm not sure where that's come from.
No, Hesson is not on team Ronchi. There's no way Watling is getting dropped this year.

Broad to McCullum, FOUR, edged! Wide of the slips down to third man. No holding back, again. Full on off stump and he threw his hands through the drive

Stokes to McCullum, 1 run, now McCullum drives without much footwork and gets an inside edge to long leg

My broad point is not that I think McCullum should not play attacking cricket, but this attacking from the first ball nonsense has to stop. It is too reckless and the cost-benefit analysis is bad.

get the bloody business hobble gobble out of the convo ta.

we've already explained how baz gets in unless the situation is so bad it needs a 300.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
It's just not good enough to say he won't even try and apply himself, even if the situation is dire.
It's simply a matter of him taking the approach with which will give the most overall value to the team. McCullum can grind and graft - but in the long run he's gonna score more runs taking a slightly over the top approach, even if it means going slightly overboard on occasion.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Also regarding cost-benefit - I'm not sure if you've noticed, but he's been in the form of his life ever since he started taking this approach full on.

harsh.ag

get the bloody business hobble gobble out of the convo ta.

we've already explained how baz gets in unless the situation is so bad it needs a 300.
Yeah, Prof, but I am bad at getting things.

This doesn't have to be about how he does it, it could be about how he should be doing it. Baz hasn't batted with such recklessness before from what I have seen of him. Even the best attacking batsmen like Gilly and Viru never did things this way. There is a better way, and he is trying to portray as if he can't even play a couple of overs carefully before having a swing. I don't buy that. It's covering up for a bad batting strategy.

Flem274*

123/5
He's been doing this since putting his foot down during the 300 to set up the declaration. It's worked pretty damn well.

I'm out.

harsh.ag

Also regarding cost-benefit - I'm not sure if you've noticed, but he's been in the form of his life ever since he started taking this approach full on.
I guess I am of the opinion that since he is in the form of his life, he would do better by applying himself a little more at the beginning. Also, sometimes a quick 50 isn't good enough in the context of an innings.

Mike5181

International Captain
McCullum struggled for years because he was stuck in some awkward middle-ground (do I attack, or defend). He's basically just said '*** it, I actually feel most comfortable when I just go out there and attack. He's had his most successful period of test cricket with the bat in the last two years while doing so. Most of his big scores have come quickly. There's going to be a lot of cringe-worthy moments, but he'll come off more often than he would trying to bat like someone he's not.

Riggins

International Captain
The WPWKB losing his spot to Luke ****ing Ronchi would be the absolute bees knees.