• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia 2014-5

howardj

International Coach
Can't see how they can postpone by more than 1 day really.
I just became a Member of the Gabba this year (cost me over $2000 for the 12 months, included in that is a one-off joining fee) so I guess I should declare my interest

#allaboutme

Seriously though, putting the Gabba Test back to Sunday 7 December could make all the difference, what with funerals for mid next week and what not

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Brad McNamara to no doubt chime in with a "Won't someone think of the television rights?" comment.

Zinzan

I can't help feel that the best thing that could happen re the first test is for the Hughes family to publicly encourage them to play it based on what PH would have wanted. I think that would be a wonderful touch and would go along way in stomping out the conjecture around it. Back on the horse etc etc.

Spark

Global Moderator
If they do play, I can guarantee it won't feel like what's happening right now. If the game goes ahead, ground will be packed and while it certainly won't be a normal atmosphere, there'll be an atmosphere.

Zinzan

If they do play, I can guarantee it won't feel like what's happening right now. If the game goes ahead, ground will be packed and while it certainly won't be a normal atmosphere, there'll be an atmosphere.
I agree & I think from a NZ & Pakistani perspective, it should be a test in Australia that brings back any sense of normality back to the game as opposed to teams slightly less connected.

Burgey

I get the sense there's a feeling of "There but for the grace.." in this match, aside from everything else the players must be feeling.

Spikey

we should avoid playing cricket until someone other than C9 produces the first broadcast

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I can't help feel that the best thing that could happen re the first test is for the Hughes family to publicly encourage them to play it based on what PH would have wanted. I think that would be a wonderful touch and would go along way in stomping out the conjecture around it. Back on the horse etc etc.
They already done this I believe.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
After watching the NZ match shows that although it might be a bit difficult to get going at the start they'll eventually get into the swing of things.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Nah can't compare the two. Many of the Aussies would be far more affected having spent far more time with Hughes. Some were actually on the field when he was hit. They may still play as a tribute but I doubt they would all be 100% into it. If the game does go ahead it will be a great way to celebrate Hughes' life though. Let us see what happens. Think the game will take place tbh.

OverratedSanity

Nah can't compare the two. Many of the Aussies would be far more affected having spent far more time with Hughes. Some were actually on the field when he was hit. They may still play as a tribute but I doubt they would all be 100% into it. If the game does go ahead it will be a great way to celebrate Hughes' life though. Let us see what happens. Think the game will take place tbh.
I actually think the Aussies will very much be into it. They'll hopefully have enough time to mourn if the first test is cancelled (which it probably will, since it's so close to the date of the funeral) and when they do get onto the field eventually I think it'll be an emotional moment for them and they'll give it their all and more. This test is a weird beast because Hughes' passing came smack in the middle of it and no one has even had the time to process the tragedy.

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I am talking about if the first test takes place. I agree people would be more into it in the second test.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Yeah they haven't made a decision yet, and in all likelihood it will be cancelled. Still doesn't mean the family publicly coming out and saying they'd like the game to go ahead means nothing. It is relevant. It ticks them off. It then becomes whether the players and CA want it to go ahead.
If the family want it to go ahead then it would be hard to argue a case against it. Obviously if Warner (for example) is too ****ed in the head to play then he sits out but I don't think cancelling the Test, which will just serve to further remind the family of the tragedy, does any favours.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
gentleman's game
Maybe it is just me but I feel cricket will be far more humane after this tragedy. It is as if it has got compassion and a bit of a soul now. I hope profiteering ****s who make truckloads of money without caring about the health of the game are outset from it for good.

Spark

Global Moderator
If the family want it to go ahead then it would be hard to argue a case against it. Obviously if Warner (for example) is too ****ed in the head to play then he sits out but I don't think cancelling the Test, which will just serve to further remind the family of the tragedy, does any favours.
If it's just, for example, Warner and Watson (or Warner and Haddin or w/e) then it won't be too much of an issue, but if half the team pulls out or more then we're going to run into problems surrounding whether it "feels" like a proper Test.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
And if the Test is going ahead because it's what Phil would have wanted it's going to be very hard for a player to then say no to playing, even if they're not emotionally ready.

Can the first Test frbs.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
If it's just, for example, Warner and Watson (or Warner and Haddin or w/e) then it won't be too much of an issue, but if half the team pulls out or more then we're going to run into problems surrounding whether it "feels" like a proper Test.
In addition, some of the next in-line candidates like Matthew Wade or the NSW/SA candidates are just as likely to want to sit-out.

The tough decision will be made in time, however I'm of the view the Test will be cancelled. This is not an issue of what the family or Hughes would have wanted, rather I don’t see how the Australian players could pull themselves together in time for a Test match.