• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Pakistan v New Zealand in the UAE 2014

Energetic

U19 Cricketer
Well New Zealand did impressively beat West Indies in the Caribbean this year but realistically they need to be on their absolute best to stand a chance against Pakistan whom they don't have a good record against. This time last year if you can recall New Zealand flopped against minnows Bangladesh in these conditions so I just can't see New Zealand prevailing I'm afraid even if Taylor and Williamson play together.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Well New Zealand did impressively beat West Indies in the Caribbean this year but realistically they need to be on their absolute best to stand a chance against Pakistan whom they don't have a good record against. This time last year if you can recall New Zealand flopped against minnows Bangladesh in these conditions so I just can't see New Zealand prevailing I'm afraid even if Taylor and Williamson play together.
Not too sure. I wouldn't write off NZ just yet. Boult and Southee will be dangerous for Pak batsmen and they can build up pressure from both ends. Whereas Aus only had Johnson really (I think if Harris had played the result would have been different). But it will still be a tough series for them.

NZ would have had a better chance if this series was being played in Jan/Feb because the condiitons would have been better for their pacers (same goes for Aus).

How are NZ against spinners?

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
We've gone from completely dreadful against spin to having some players who are very good. Williamson and Taylor are obviously the keys against spin but Latham and Neesham also look decent. Watling too.

Watching Younis bat he pretty much saw off the pace bowlers - even the likes of Mitch Marsh - and dined out on the spinners. That will be our problem.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
New Zealand might actually stands a better chance than Australia because their quicker bowlers might be able to hurt Pakistan a bit more...
You can't really write anyone of when its a series involving Pakistan, not the opposition and certainly not Pakistan.. They can lose to Zimbabwe one day and beat South Africa the next.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
New Zealand might actually stands a better chance than Australia because their quicker bowlers might be able to hurt Pakistan a bit more...
You can't really write anyone of when its a series involving Pakistan, not the opposition and certainly not Pakistan.. They can lose to Zimbabwe one day and beat South Africa the next.
True, I think Pakistan are a confidence team and they're hard to shake when they're on top. I suspect they'll find it tough going against Southee and Boult and things might look very different.

Spark

Global Moderator
We've gone from completely dreadful against spin to having some players who are very good. Williamson and Taylor are obviously the keys against spin but Latham and Neesham also look decent. Watling too.

Watching Younis bat he pretty much saw off the pace bowlers - even the likes of Mitch Marsh - and dined out on the spinners. That will be our problem.
First you need to work out how to take twenty wickets. That's been our problem this series, not the batting.

Flem274*

123/5
the bowling key will be mark craig continuing his contributions from the windies tour and not ruining everything. if he has a tidy series, the bowling should be ok. it won't ensure victory by any stretch but if mark craig and/or ish sodhi get smoked then it doesn't matter how well southee and boult bowl unless one has a 7/50 day.

if we play both spinners, god help us.

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I tend to agree that New Zealand might be slightly better suited to playing in the UAE than the current Australian side. Southee and Boult certainly won't be banging it in back of a length in the same way that Siddle has for the past fortnight, and the batting has shown some sufficiency in spin friendly conditions (Taylor, Williamson, McCullum and Watling are all good players of spin when in form). Having said that, Pakistan have been superb in these last 2 tests, and if they continue to play this well, I can't see us competing for long.

A month ago I would given us a decent shout of taking a 1-1 draw, but after watching this series, I'm picking 2-0 to Pakistan.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Bracewell posted good figures in the first round of FC -

On a slower pitch the week before, he was trucking along at an expensive rate against a very weak pre-season Canterbury side.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Haha, love that reaction from Wagner when the lbw is turned down. Looks like somebody's just told him that his brother died in a war.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Excited to see Southee bowl in the UAE now. A great performance here and he has a legit claim to be considered the best pace bowler in the world after Steyn, IMO.

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
the bowling key will be mark craig continuing his contributions from the windies tour and not ruining everything. if he has a tidy series, the bowling should be ok. .
I hope they don't select Craig tbh. I'd go with Sodhi.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I can't see Craig doing well given how brutally Lyon was pumped. If we're going to play a spinner I'd rather it's Sodhi. He might also get pumped but he's more likely to take wickets against 11 right handers.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I can't see Craig doing well given how brutally Lyon was pumped. If we're going to play a spinner I'd rather it's Sodhi. He might also get pumped but he's more likely to take wickets against 11 right handers.
Worth noting also that Smith looked sorta dangerous when he did bowl, so I'd be prepared to roll the dice on Sodhi rather than Craig.

Blocky

Banned
Sodhi has no accuracy and will bowl a tonne of four balls releasing any pressure we can hope to build up at the other end. He might take one decent wicket per match by fluking a well bowled delivery but he's going to go at over four in every innings. We need to play an attrition game with Pakistan and bore them out in between blasts of new-ball and reverse swing.

At least with Craig you've got a guy who will be able to keep the batsman quiet and is also more threatening when the players attack him, versus Sodhi who loses his line and length the moment someone starts to use their feet.

Although the plus side is if Sodhi does play, he'll likely be hurt so bad he won't be selected again.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I don't disagree that Sodhi bowls a lot of pies, but the second paragraph is wrong. Craig went to pieces when the Windies attacked him in the second test. If Lyon and O'Keefe couldn't control the run rate Craig has zero chance. These guys play finger spinners in their sleep.

Smith is one example, the SA legspinner is another.