• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How good was it for you?

Spark

Global Moderator
Worth getting up at absurd hours for two weeks in total and ten days worth of all nighters for.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I was. I repeat watching it whenever I can, it assuages me from rubbish.

Actually I've looked at 2002 group stages and you may well be right, apart from England's group it seemed pretty exciting.

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Probably not as good as '98 for me, but certainly better than every World Cup since. The 7-1 game was just surreal to watch, will probably go down as one of the defining sporting moments of my lifetime.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I always enjoy the group stages more to be honest. Probably simply because in the first few weeks there are 3 games on a day, and if you're lucky you're able to watch all of them. It's like the beginning of the summer holidays, or Christmas day or something. The fun is underway, but the best is yet to come etc... I think more often than not the best games in these tournaments come in the group stages as well. Kind of a reverse from the Champions League actually.
Yeah, I agree with this.

I think if I'm honest it trailed off quite badly once the knockout stages begun. But the group stages were just incredible, would find it hard to believe there's ever been a better two weeks of football.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Yeah, I agree with this.

I think if I'm honest it trailed off quite badly once the knockout stages begun. But the group stages were just incredible, would find it hard to believe there's ever been a better two weeks of football.
Euro 2000

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Have loved this World Cup. Easily the best since '02.

...bring on the Prem and A-League now!

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Euro 2000
Now that was a great tournament, including the final stages, IIRC. Up there with WC1970 and WC1982 as my all time favourites.

If I had to rank this WC, its probably the best since 1986. The final was as OK as we get nowadays, (probably the best since 1986 actually) and the knock-outs were pretty ordinary with the one obvious exception. The group stage was so excellent that you can almost forget what followed and, as someone said, that does make up a fair old chunk of the tournament.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
Best tournament in a while for me. Group stage was really good and the knockouts had Columbia and the Brazil smashing. It helped that for this WC the time zone really worked for the US. Plus no idiot family members planned the usual vacation crap that has interfered with previous WCs.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Now that was a great tournament, including the final stages, IIRC. Up there with WC1970 and WC1982 as my all time favourites.

If I had to rank this WC, its probably the best since 1986. The final was as OK as we get nowadays, (probably the best since 1986 actually) and the knock-outs were pretty ordinary with the one obvious exception. The group stage was so excellent that you can almost forget what followed and, as someone said, that does make up a fair old chunk of the tournament.
All the games in the Euros can be amazing and it would still not be equal to an average World Cup, it is just not the same.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
This was a good tournament overall but the knockout stages were fairly boring tbh.

I still rate France 98 as the best world cup tournament overall and not just because France triumphed.There were a number of pretty good sides in that tournament - Holland were outstanding. Brazil had a team with all time greats. Chile and Croatia were good, Italy were decent as was Argentina. Hell even England were fairly reasonable.

I got the feeling early on that this was always between Germany or Italy. I just couldn't see anyone else going all the way - Italy disappointed massively for sure. They really should have done a lot better especially after their strong win over England. I always though Brazil would crumble under the sheer pressure especially considering it wasn't a vintage Brazilian side.
Spain were over the hill, Portugal were massively overrated, this was probably a tournament too soon for France and Belgium, England did their usual, Holland were probably caught between generations and I felt Argentina probably lacked a true playmaker in the mould of a Riquelme in midfield. And to top it off Postecoglou hasn't yet had time to properly work his magic to make the Socceroos the world beaters that we all know they will become.

Really, this tournament was there for the taking by Germany.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Hard to say we did our usual given it hadn't happened since 1958. But the rest of your post I pretty much agree with