• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Feedback on Video - Taking Up Leg Spin Again

jahangir89

Cricket Spectator
Hi guys,

Video: Grade 2 Patron's Trophy PAK - YouTube (but read below first)

I play First-Class cricket in Pakistan as an opening batsman. That's how I've worked my way up to First-Class cricket here in Pakistan, as an opening batsman. It's been a tough journey, primarily due to the fact that I am not good at playing spin at all, and here in Pakistan, spin is everywhere, you can't escape it. I'm starting to lose passion for batting. The runs have dried up, and I guess this may be attributed to the lack of passion more recently.

The lack of passion may have been triggered by my inability to play spin well. Also, I'm beginning to feel more and more that my "natural gifts" and my natural temperament don't go well with batting. I guess that's why I'm contemplating the idea of going back to bowling leg-spin again. When I was young, I was an extremely gifted leg-spinner. I quit bowling when I was 14 due to my father's pressure who wanted me to be a batsman. After that, I would pick up the ball only very rarely.

So I've now decided I want to work day and night improving my leg spin and hopefully get into the national side one day. I'm a very motivated and ambitious person and love to work hard. Last week I had a 3-day match against a First-Class team. On the last day, I asked my captain to give me a bowl, because the match was going nowhere. I had been working on my bowling for the past month by now. Please have a look at these 6 deliveries and let me know what you think: Grade 2 Patron's Trophy PAK - YouTube - Your advice on what I should do with my career as a leg-spinner will be greatly appreciated!

Best,
Jay

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Hi guys,

Video: Grade 2 Patron's Trophy PAK - YouTube (but read below first)

I play First-Class cricket in Pakistan as an opening batsman. That's how I've worked my way up to First-Class cricket here in Pakistan, as an opening batsman. It's been a tough journey, primarily due to the fact that I am not good at playing spin at all, and here in Pakistan, spin is everywhere, you can't escape it. I'm starting to lose passion for batting. The runs have dried up, and I guess this may be attributed to the lack of passion more recently.

The lack of passion may have been triggered by my inability to play spin well. Also, I'm beginning to feel more and more that my "natural gifts" and my natural temperament don't go well with batting. I guess that's why I'm contemplating the idea of going back to bowling leg-spin again. When I was young, I was an extremely gifted leg-spinner. I quit bowling when I was 14 due to my father's pressure who wanted me to be a batsman. After that, I would pick up the ball only very rarely.

So I've now decided I want to work day and night improving my leg spin and hopefully get into the national side one day. I'm a very motivated and ambitious person and love to work hard. Last week I had a 3-day match against a First-Class team. On the last day, I asked my captain to give me a bowl, because the match was going nowhere. I had been working on my bowling for the past month by now. Please have a look at these 6 deliveries and let me know what you think: Grade 2 Patron's Trophy PAK - YouTube - Your advice on what I should do with my career as a leg-spinner will be greatly appreciated!

Best,
Jay
You look like every leg spinner. One loopy full toss every over and then 4 or 5 good nuts. Do you have any variations such as a googly?

Look I wouldn't quit the batting - but I would try to become a batsman who bowls a bit as a your first goal. You need to get some experience in match conditions and you will only get that if you can make the team as a batsman first most likely. Even to become an all rounder you will need to practice very hard on your bowling so that would be my advice.
Other comments - you have a nice bowling action and your run up impressed me the most.
You also got significant turn.

With regards to your batting - request some coaching on batting against spin.

jahangir89

Cricket Spectator
You look like every leg spinner. One loopy full toss every over and then 4 or 5 good nuts. Do you have any variations such as a googly?

Look I wouldn't quit the batting - but I would try to become a batsman who bowls a bit as a your first goal. You need to get some experience in match conditions and you will only get that if you can make the team as a batsman first most likely. Even to become an all rounder you will need to practice very hard on your bowling so that would be my advice.
Other comments - you have a nice bowling action and your run up impressed me the most.
You also got significant turn.

With regards to your batting - request some coaching on batting against spin.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts! Yeah that was my first over and I've only started practicing again, so I guess that's what caused the full toss. I'm actually pretty good on accuracy. I bowled two overs after that, I'll try to upload the clips, and didn't bowl a single full toss. But I need to work on more accuracy nonetheless.

Yeah I can bowl the googly but avoiding it right now so as to master my stock ball. I'd like to take the Shane Warne route and deceive the batsman by spinning in different amounts.

How'd you rate my 'good nuts'? :)

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Thanks for sharing your thoughts! Yeah that was my first over and I've only started practicing again, so I guess that's what caused the full toss. I'm actually pretty good on accuracy. I bowled two overs after that, I'll try to upload the clips, and didn't bowl a single full toss. But I need to work on more accuracy nonetheless.

Yeah I can bowl the googly but avoiding it right now so as to master my stock ball. I'd like to take the Shane Warne route and deceive the batsman by spinning in different amounts.

How'd you rate my 'good nuts'? :)
I didn't know what to make of the batsman you were up against. I suspected they were batsman around the 6-7 positions and not the top order players but you troubled them and you got a wicket. Every ball that you bowled caused them some difficulties even the ones they scored singles off. So yes the good nuts were very useful.
Am I right - what batting positions were those batsman?

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
From what I could see you were drawing the batsmen forward and getting them reaching for the ball and then dropping it on them, good signs

jahangir89

Cricket Spectator
I didn't know what to make of the batsman you were up againstI was bowling uspected they were batsman around the 6-7 positions and not the top order players but you troubled them and you got a wicket. Every ball that you bowled caused them some difficulties even the ones they scored singles off. So yes the good nuts were very useful.
Am I right - what batting positions were those batsman?
Both of them were openers. The one I got out, here's his Cricinfo profile, he topped the domestic circuit this last season : Israrullah | Pakistan Cricket | Cricket Players and Officials | ESPN Cricinfo

The left hander who came in next : Usman Tariq | Pakistan Cricket | Cricket Players and Officials | ESPN Cricinfo

This was the last innings of the match. They only needed 50 runs to win . The ball I was bowling with was fairly new.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
that's awesome.

spinners tend to peak in their 30s by the way, so you have time on your side

ajdude

International Coach
wouldn't mind seeing footage of you bowling to a right hander over the wicket, good loop and dip.

cricmahanty

School Boy/Girl Captain
Firstly, it's great to be talking to a FC cricketer here.

I'd suggest you to keep your batting going and then work on your leg-spin bowling at the same time. Most leg-spinners need a lot of time and patience to develop pin-point accuracy and a mastery over the stock leg-break and the odd variations.

From what I see in the video, you definitely have the potential. Good luck !