• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2013-14

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Japan v USA in the last women's WC final was pretty appalling. This may have been worse, mind, as both teams were responsible...

cpr

International Coach
Nah, he's just done a u-turn at Keele services and his on his way back as fast as he can.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well, it's a brilliant signing, not sure where he'll play, and if it means the likes of Wayne will be there for long, I'm getting a little suspicious about his injury. Strange Chelsea would agree to this without getting something back, I mean money surely is a bit irrelevant to Chelsea.

Doubt Khawaja will get a game.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Well, it's a brilliant signing, not sure where he'll play, and if it means the likes of Wayne will be there for long, I'm getting a little suspicious about his injury. Strange Chelsea would agree to this without getting something back, I mean money surely is a bit irrelevant to Chelsea.
Depends how seriously they're taking FFP.

Pothas

Doubt Khawaja will get a game.
Yeah dear old Usman will be off you would have thought, although maybe not until the summer. Arsenal should buy him, last player they need but it would just be funny.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If he displaces Kagawa instead of Young or Valencia we'll know Moyes isn't right in the head and it's time to let go.

Pothas

Would get a lot more money back on Kagawa than the others though, not sure how much that is a factor though.

Jarquis

If he displaces Kagawa instead of Young or Valencia we'll know Moyes isn't right in the head and it's time to let go.
Playing with two central attacking midfielders (plus RVP and Rooney potentially) isn't very Moyes though. So by playing both, one will have to play wide and you're either going to be playing a player out of position where he's nigh on ineffective (Kagawa) or choose to play a player in a position he's adept in but in a system which will prove suicidal (Mata).
Honestly, signing Mata when you have Kagawa and he's not getting a run in the #10 role is like buying a Lambo for track driving because you didn't get on with your Ferrari in the garage when you took it off roading.
Both quality cars but if you actually used the one you've already got for its best purpose I'm not convinced you'd need the second

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Mata is proven to be top class in the premiership though and a better player than Kagawa overall whose game is limited and struggling to adapt to the premiership.

Plus United need someone who can give direct assists and goals from individual creativity in the 3 positions behind the striker. Mata can do that. Kagawa really isn't so far.

Besides when RVP and Rooney come back, Januzaj is ahead of Kagawa by a reasonable margin anyway and by a distance if you want someone playing from out wide as a false winger.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Admittedly I don't watch as much (read: none) foran footy as some here do, but I've never got the Khawaja love based on what I've seen.

Strikes my jaded eyes as yer archetypal fancy Dan Johnny; all nice touches and "vision" who goes missing after the proverbial early doors boot.

Uppercut

Admittedly I don't watch as much (read: none) foran footy as some here do, but I've never got the Khawaja love based on what I've seen.

Strikes my jaded eyes as yer archetypal fancy Dan Johnny; all nice touches and "vision" who goes missing after the proverbial early doors boot.
A lot of it's more that we love him than that we rate him. He's small, weak, not especially quick, not a great finisher. But sometimes he thinks so quickly it's spectacular. You get these amazing little turns and flicks and dummies in tight spaces that get us out of a hole and start a counter-attack. I mean, as a player it's not enough to make up for his lack of pace and strength and goals. But it's lovely to watch and you never really see players like that in the Premiership.

Uppercut

Playing with two central attacking midfielders (plus RVP and Rooney potentially) isn't very Moyes though. So by playing both, one will have to play wide and you're either going to be playing a player out of position where he's nigh on ineffective (Kagawa) or choose to play a player in a position he's adept in but in a system which will prove suicidal (Mata).
Honestly, signing Mata when you have Kagawa and he's not getting a run in the #10 role is like buying a Lambo for track driving because you didn't get on with your Ferrari in the garage when you took it off roading.
Both quality cars but if you actually used the one you've already got for its best purpose I'm not convinced you'd need the second
It's hardly suicidal. Citeh have played the exact same system with two strikers + Nasri and Silva for a few years now.

I'm happy with Januzaj and Mata wide and Rooney+RVP in the middle. I don't think it's too attacking. Against the more dangerous teams we can always recall Welbeck or Valencia to do a job on one side.

Pothas

The whole Mata can't play on the wing without it being a disaster defensively has been pretty much invented by Mourinho.