• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Pakistan in Zimbabwe

Paul S

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Great win. They have always done better than Bangladesh. 5 wins against Pakistan (3) and India (2) if I'm not mistaken.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Wow. Great stuff Zimbabwe.

Imagine if they still had a full-strength side. They may have whitewashed Pakistan lol.

Daemon

Just wanted to log in quickly to say well done to Zimbabwe!!..so many times these lesser ranked teams have a good side in trouble but just don't know how to get over the line!!..but today they showed a lot of bottle and fully deserved the win. Chatera made his debut in the caribbean and grew as the game went on and he seems to have come on leaps and bounds since then. If Zim can somehow get Jarvis back into the fold along with Ervin and Williams i think they'd have a tidy little unit there. I really hope for their sake they are able to build on this and play more tests!!...we've got some big series coming up against India and NZ away but i'd be more than happy for WI to travel to Zim sometime next year if possible.
knew it was coming when I saw that avatar/username. feeling so smug atm.

Anyways, I didn't really watch the test much at all, barely 20 overs in total, but I wish I had. Feel really happy for the Zimbabwean players and their fans, great stuff.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Typical reactions in Pakistan..ignore a problem until it bites you in the bum and then blame the captain..

Even a usual sane voice like Rameez Raja is calling for a new captain which is absolutely ridiculous.
I am not a Misbah fan by any means but he had absolutely nothing to do with this.. This debacle is the result of not giving any importance to test cricket for the last few years when PCB has been focussing all its energies to setting up a T20 league when its not begging and licking BCCI's boots to get a 2 match T20 series.

And then you have the heroes Hafeez and Akmals who focus all their energies on getting new deals with different franchises and crying about the IPL snub.

Misbah realized this and had asked for more tests after the whitewash in South Africa earlier this year but it fell on deaf years.

Had Younis Khan not scored that double century in the second innings, it would have been a 0-2 and deservedly so because if any team deserved it, it was Zimbabwe..

Their passion and drive to win despite not getting paid was just incredible..what an inspiration it is to see these players fight it out not for money, not for deals but just for the beauty of excelling in sport as an athlete..

I think Pakistan should stick to playing mostly T20 cricket..PCB obviously is more interested in setting up a T20 league, the players barring Younis, Misbah, Ajmal and perhaps Junaid Khan are definitely more interested in the T20 leagues around the world and that's understandable because that's the only way pathetic players like Hafeez can earn some glory, and most of the fans themselves are happy to to boast about Afridi's feats in the 09 world cup win and how Hafeez scored an 80 in South Africa..so its a win-win situation I guess.

In the mean time, congratulations to Zimbabwe, you deserved this and hope this win helps you get more cricket against the bigger nations and hopefully allows your board to pay you a basic salary.

Daemon

Very unfair to simply say all the **** players are only interested in T20s while the good ones aren't.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Brilliant stuff from Zimbabwe! Honestly never thought they'd be able to bounce back from the thrashing they eventually got in the first test. Really encouraging signs that their young bowling attack got on so well even without Jarvis.

I do feel sad that this might be Zimbabwe's last test cricket for a while. I take it that the SL tour is pretty much cancelled at this point? It's a shame as SL - while on a roughly similar level to Pakistan - offer completely different challenges (a strong batting lineup, but only one effective wicket taker), and I reckon we could have had another ripper of a series.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Has Jamshed ever been in the test squad?

I really like the look of him.
played the first two test in SA, scored a good 40 odd in the second dig of the first game but was otherwise poor, looks to be the new Saeed Anwar

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Very unfair to simply say all the **** players are only interested in T20s while the good ones aren't.
I did not say all the crap ones are interested in T20 and I don't even think T20 is the issue here..
Chris Gayle, the greatest T20 player ever has 2 triple centuries, which is more than what these players can do in a combined effort.

The problem is what do you aspire to as a cricketer? Do players like Akmal, Hafeez aspire to be great batsmen? I am not sure how much you follow them besides cricket matches but from what I gathered from their interviews and philosophy, they do not have such aspirations and their primary goal seems to be picking up the best contracts from various T20 leagues around the world. Umar Akmal has repeatedly expressed his frustration indirectly at missing out on IPL during his best years..

Problem is not IPL or T20 or anything else..problem is in them..
Some of the greatest batsmen India have produced have played in IPL and seem to strike the right balance..Kallis is a gun Test and T20 player..the issue is what your priorities and aspirations are as a cricketer...problem is that the complete failure in Test cricket does not hurt Hafeez at all..When Hafeez was asked earlier this year about whether his technical deficiencies were the reason he failed to reach double figures in South Africa, his answer was not "yes and I am trying to work on them with my coach and I want to do my best to prove myself" his answer was a shrug of the shoulders, denial of any technical flaws and point towards the 80 odd he scored in the T20.
Problem is that Akmal is not upset at not finding a permanent spot in the test team..when he is asked about this, his response is to lash out at his critics who apparently are plotting a conspiracy to destroy his tremendous potential that he is going to fulfill by scoring a lot of 25s in T20 leagues.
Nasir Jamshed and Junaid Khan are the only players among the young ones who have expressed some desire to prove themselves in Test cricket..and one of them is not even in the team.

Last edited:

Daemon

I did not say all the crap ones are interested in T20 and I don't even think T20 is the issue here..
Chris Gayle, the greatest T20 player ever has 2 triple centuries, which is more than what these players can do in a combined effort.

The problem is what do you aspire to as a cricketer? Do players like Akmal, Hafeez aspire to be great batsmen? I am not sure how much you follow them besides cricket matches but from what I gathered from their interviews and philosophy, they do not have such aspirations and their primary goal seems to be picking up the best contracts from various T20 leagues around the world. Umar Akmal has repeatedly expressed his frustration indirectly at missing out on IPL during his best years..

Problem is not IPL or T20 or anything else..problem is in them..
Some of the greatest batsmen India have produced have played in IPL and seem to strike the right balance..Kallis is a gun Test and T20 player..the issue is what your priorities and aspirations are as a cricketer...problem is that the complete failure in Test cricket does not hurt Hafeez at all..When Hafeez was asked earlier this year about whether his technical deficiencies were the reason he failed to reach double figures in Test cricket, his answer was not "yes and I am trying to work on them with my coach and I want to do my best to prove myself" his answer was a shrug of the shoulders, denial of any technical flaws and point towards the 80 odd he scored in the T20.
Problem is that Akmal is not upset at not finding a permanent spot in the test team..when he is asked about this, his response is to lash out at his critics who apparently are plotting a conspiracy to destroy his tremendous potential that he is going to fulfill by scoring a lot of 25s in T20 leagues.
Nasir Jamshed and Junaid Khan are the only players among the young ones who has expressed some desire to prove himself in Test cricket..and one of them is not even in the team.
Well explain this then.

the players barring Younis, Misbah, Ajmal and perhaps Junaid Khan are definitely more interested in the T20 leagues around the world
I'm sure Rehman and Rahat Ali would love to hear how much less importance Ajmal and Misbah give to T20 compared to them. Just because they're better players doesn't necessarily mean that they've worked harder or give more of a **** when it comes to Test cricket. I don't know about Akmal but to pain the rest of the players with the same brush is unfair, which is what I meant earlier.