• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Fawad Ahmed

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Thoughts on this leg-spinner everyone?

Looks the goods to me, gets a fair bit of spin, has good control, nice flight and his high arm gives him some extra bounce. He also has a well disguised googly and top-spinner.

Should he get into the Australian side for the home ashes series? He'l be about 32, so if he holds his place he will keep Agar and Lyon out of the team for a while, but that gives them a chance for some FC experience.

Thoughts?

Philhughesisbes

School Boy/Girl Captain
The last leggie that was talk up went for oVer a hundred in his only match.I"m not saying Ahmed might suffer the same fate because he does seem to have more potential.Let's not get carried away.Lyon Should and will be Australia number 1 spinner for sometime.

Last edited:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
My one worry is that his leg spinner may not be threatening enough in itself.

He certainly has all the tricks, and the consistency. Dragged a few down in his BBL debut, bit nervy, but he's gotten better each time I've seen him in state cricket.

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Can't actually qualify for us till the Oval Test bar some nudging of the Department of Immigration, which may be Abbott-controlled by then.

Would be quite good timing as it stands though, given the "Oval is a dust bowl" meme and it would set him up for a triumphant home debut series if he gets picked and bowls well.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Can't actually qualify for us till the Oval Test bar some nudging of the Department of Immigration, which may be Abbott-controlled by then.

Would be quite good timing as it stands though, given the "Oval is a dust bowl" meme and it would set him up for a triumphant home debut series if he gets picked and bowls well.
Hmmm, I was thinking he would be available for the Australian ashes series, he probably wouldn't be picked for England anyway. He'd need good performances in the early matches of the shield season anyway - not that he'l get much help from the pitches that time of year.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!

You think Abbott will fast track the citizenship of a brown man from Pakistan?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah I had a feeling the headline would mislead but cbf changing the title of the link.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So Abbott's a racist if he treats someone equitably instead of favourably?
Ooooh, touchy.

He's not racist. He's just a Christian man, prepared to use the suffering of other people to maximum political benefit. Like the Happy Clapper from the Shire. Both scum.

the big bambino

International Captain
Ooooh, touchy.

He's not racist. He's just a Christian man, prepared to use the suffering of other people to maximum political benefit. Like the Happy Clapper from the Shire. Both scum.
Just askin is all. So hows he "using" the suffering of other people and how is that impacting on Ahmed?

smash84

The Tiger King
I have to disagree, I think he turns the ball a fair bit, he was described by McGill as "a Kumble who really turns it", so I'm not worried.
I can't believe there is somebody who actually bowls at Kumble's pace and turns it a lot. Would be interesting to watch him if indeed he is like that. I doubt it though

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
I can't believe there is somebody who actually bowls at Kumble's pace and turns it a lot. Would be interesting to watch him if indeed he is like that. I doubt it though
I don't think he is quite at Kumble's pace, the comparison comes more from his height and high arm action, he also has the well disguised googly. He is no MacGill in terms of turn, but it's more than Kumble.