• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

****Official****Pakistan in South Africa

kykweer.proteas

International Debutant
So basically all you need to do is run towards the stumps in the first place and you can't be given out if it hits u? Although I think it's good the ICC trying to stop people getting in the way of throws I think it's going to be a terribly difficult rule to enforce as it leaves some grey areas. Needs looking at.
Actually it's quite simple, if a batsman looks around and sees someone throwing to the end he is running to, then runs (onto the wicket) straight at the stumps. Then its a relatively simple decision.

It is pretty straight forward. If the ICC really wanted to look at something they could change the law where a bowler touches the ball with his fingertips, without any control whatsoever and runs out the batsman at the other end.

Yas

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Actually it's quite simple, if a batsman looks around and sees someone throwing to the end he is running to, then runs (onto the wicket) straight at the stumps. Then its a relatively simple decision.

It is pretty straight forward. If the ICC really wanted to look at something they could change the law where a bowler touches the ball with his fingertips, without any control whatsoever and runs out the batsman at the other end.
What I meant was what if the batsmen didnt look around and just ran in the way if the wickets without changing direction. Depending on the angle of the ball coming in you wouldn't necessarily have to run on the pitch to get in the way of the throw. Then technically you've got in the way of the ball without changing direction. That's my point.

kykweer.proteas

International Debutant
The batsman has a right to keep his line and won't be given out, that's why its referred to the 3rd umpire. In hafeez's case he changed his angle after looking back even if it was very slight, he still changed his angle of running. Hence, rightfully given out.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Third seamer is definitely a weak link.
Agreed, Gul turning to crap in the last few years or so hasn't helped.

Just going to list out the current attacks off the top of my head

Aus - Starc, Doherty, Johnson, Faulker, McKay

WI - Best, Narine, Roach, Holder?, Sammy, Bravo

SA - Morkel, Steyn, Tsotsobe, Peterson, McLaren/Kleinveldt/Abott/whoever

Ind - Bhuv, Ashwin, Jadeja, Yuvraj, Ishant, Shami

Eng - Broad, Anderson, Finn, Swann, Woakes/Meaker? Fatel?

SL - Malinga, Kula, Perera, Mathews, Herath/Senanayake/Mendis/that guy they found in the T20 WC

NZ - Southee, Mills, McCullum, Franklin, McClenaghan? Ellis? Keeps changing, not too sure.

Of those I think Pakistan with Hafeez, Ajmal, Junaid, Afridi, Irfan and Riaz rank pretty highly.

smash84

The Tiger King
Agreed, Gul turning to crap in the last few years or so hasn't helped.

Just going to list out the current attacks off the top of my head

Aus - Starc, Doherty, Johnson, Faulker, McKay

WI - Best, Narine, Roach, Holder?, Sammy, Bravo

SA - Morkel, Steyn, Tsotsobe, Peterson, McLaren/Kleinveldt/Abott/whoever

Ind - Bhuv, Ashwin, Jadeja, Yuvraj, Ishant, Shami

Eng - Broad, Anderson, Finn, Swann, Woakes/Meaker? Fatel?

SL - Malinga, Kula, Perera, Mathews, Herath/Senanayake/Mendis/that guy they found in the T20 WC

NZ - Southee, Mills, McCullum, Franklin, McClenaghan? Ellis? Keeps changing, not too sure.

Of those I think Pakistan with Hafeez, Ajmal, Junaid, Afridi, Irfan and Riaz rank pretty highly.
And the batting with khatmal, hafeez, younis, misbah, and afridi is equally abysmal :p

Yas

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Pak really needs to freshen up their line up. How many times are they going to leave their bowlers nothing to work with!! Would like to see the following team:

1) Hafeez
2) Shezad - positive player/good fielder
3) Jamshed
4) U.Akmal
5) Shafiq
6) Looks like it's gotta be Malik as don't know who else
7) Afridi
8) Gul
9) Ajmal
10) Junaid
11) Irfan

Ok I left a keeper out of there... So much for my team! Although it was K.Akmal so hey ho!

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Pakistan just straight up aren't playing anywhere near enough batsmen in the side. Afridi is a bowling allrounder who is batting 7 and being used as the sixth bowler; it's a complete waste. Hafeez is realistically a better bowler than he is a batsman too despite having to open the batting abd they're batting Kamran Akmal in the top three every game as well. Only four of the top seven are primarily batsmen and when those four are Jamshed, Younis, Misbah and Malik then it's not really a happy state of affairs. Just to top it off, they have a tail like an absolute rat - Gul or Wahab at 8 is really pushing it.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Yeah that was annoying. He'd take 95 not out though. Now averages over 50 with a strike rate of over 93. Where's he rated among the ODI greats?

I don't know much history of ODI cricket, but surely de Villiers, with the added bonus of being one of the great fielders, is near a place in an all time ODI XI?

Last edited:

kingkallis

International Coach
I'd place him as No.5 in my All time ODI XI - right after Ricky Ponting ( no.4 )...

Sachin
Gilchrist
Richards
Ponting
AB de villiers
Symonds
Klusener
Akram
Garner
Muralitharan
Ambose

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Can bat anywhere in the order too which is a bonus. Not out of place in an AT XI for sure.

MrPrez

International Debutant
Pakistan just straight up aren't playing anywhere near enough batsmen in the side. Afridi is a bowling allrounder who is batting 7 and being used as the sixth bowler; it's a complete waste. Hafeez is realistically a better bowler than he is a batsman too despite having to open the batting abd they're batting Kamran Akmal in the top three every game as well. Only four of the top seven are primarily batsmen and when those four are Jamshed, Younis, Misbah and Malik then it's not really a happy state of affairs. Just to top it off, they have a tail like an absolute rat - Gul or Wahab at 8 is really pushing it.
I'd definitely say Wahab gets kicked before Afridi though, with Afridi moving down to 8th. He'd play a Klusener role if I was the Pakistan decision maker.

I'd place him as No.5 in my All time ODI XI - right after Ricky Ponting ( no.4 )...

Sachin
Gilchrist
Richards
Ponting
AB de villiers
Symonds
Klusener
Akram
Garner
Muralitharan
Ambose
Reckon Amla will easily make that team by career's end. He was absolutely horrible today though. Can't remember such a bad Amla innings ever since he had his second coming.

MrPrez

International Debutant
Missed the bowling performance so can't comment, although my love for McLaren appears to have been rewarded once again. Huge nightmares will ensue when Jacques returns. Does he come in for McLaren, or for one of the top 6? McLaren would have been the obvious choice until he turned into the dominant force he's been recently.