• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Domestic Offseason 2011

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
On the other hand, we're getting six tests. I always thought that the test season was over far to early so I'm rather pleased that they've spread tests over the whole summer instead of having limited overs crap from Jan 5th onwards

howardj

International Coach
Might have something to do with that right there.

Brisbane have had cod ordinary Test crowds for decades.
Our test crowds when the marque teams play (such as England or such India in 2003/2004) stack up to Adelaide and Perth easily.

howardj

International Coach
On the other hand, we're getting six tests. I always thought that the test season was over far to early so I'm rather pleased that they've spread tests over the whole summer instead of having limited overs crap from Jan 5th onwards
Agree 100%.

Used to love when Perth had the last Test in the 1st week of February (e.g. Ashes tours in the 1990s).

Love the Tests spread out.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
you just know all through that article Chris was dying to remind us of the story of the wicket-keeper who was named the Sheffield Shield player of the season but when the wicket-keeping spot opened up in the test team 2 or so months later the wicket-keeper got over-looked for One Ton Paine

Last edited:

vcs

Australia seem to have a packed Test schedule.. 3 Tests in SL, 3 Tests in SA (or is it 2?), 2 against NZ followed by 4 against India. Lots of interesting Test series coming this year.

Spikey

2 tests. 2 T20's, 3 ODI's and a tour match.10 or so day break between the last one there and the first one against NZ

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Australia seem to have a packed Test schedule.. 3 Tests in SL, 3 Tests in SA (or is it 2?), 2 against NZ followed by 4 against India. Lots of interesting Test series coming this year.
don't forget the big bash woooooooo

its two against SA because of the champions trophy

pathetic

Last edited:

vcs

What is the format of this Big Bash and how long does it last? The article says the first round is between Dec 16 and Dec 20.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
i think five weeks or some rubbish now. I reckon we'll get stuck with it for a couple seasons until it becomes such a complete waste of money. There's no way crowd attendances will increase again after decreasing since its initial success. I just hope CA don't ruin themselves financially in the process

Or we get rid of the knuckle heads in control. Dead set, James Sutherland, **** off.

In any other Australian sport these dickheads would have been out looking for new jobs months ago

Last edited:

howardj

International Coach
Great, so they get rested from Shield games at every available opportunity (their workload needs to be managed instead of playing in these games) but will be free to take part in the BBL (all for marketing reasons) during a period that they traditionally rest (i.e. leading up to the Boxing Day Test). Fair dinkum, CA are unembarrassable. Not even three separate innings defeats in our own backyard by the fourth ranked team in the world (at the time) wakes these cronies up.

howardj

International Coach
Well their desperation to get them to be available for just one game, underlines the fact that CA now realise what most other people already knew - that the BBL is really just the KFC Big Bash.

It''s just full of domestic players manning teams without any history, and colours nobody can identify with.

Actually, it's weaker than the KFC Big Bash as an extra 25 players will be needed to man the two extra teams, I mean franchises.

haha no, i don't like it and hope it fails, and hope we actually start caring about and investing in the longer form of the game, particularly Shield cricket.

Top_Cat

Whilst generally agreeing with your sentiment, Paul Marsh's statement of late that Shield cricket hasn't had any real traction with the public for decades is a fair cop. Can understand why CA would be looking towards some sort of cash cow to compensate.

From the perspective of a player, it must be increasingly hard to swallow the hype that playing regular Shield cricket in front of more pets than people is the be-all/end-all of raising your game when a large portion of playing at the top level is handling the pressure of big occasions, which you're obviously more likely to get in a T20 or OD game domestically.

The question is, does playing more Shield cricket, even with full-strength sides, really raise your game? Must have some impact but arbitrarily insisting they play more Shield cricket, I think it's yet another thing to add to the seemingly never-ending list of excuses which takes the heat off the blokes in the Test side for just not being as good as the previous generation of players.

Last edited:

howardj

International Coach
No doubt that Shield is a drain financially on CA.

My argument is more that the best cash cow is a strong Australian team. The punters follow cricket through the prism of the Australian team and, in my view, will turn right off if we serve up anything like we did last Summer again.

A component of producing a strong Australian team is having good FC players (players with sound techniques can generally adapt to all forms far more readily than a Warner-type).

A component of producing good FC players is playing against good opposition.

No magic wands, just getting enough little components right - the sum of which hopefully make a real impact.

Spikey

you know out of warner, hughes & smith i'd probably say warner has the best tech