• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best WC in a long time?

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's been one of the best in terms of entertainment, not so much quality though in the finals at least i think it was pretty high. I think Jaya batted really well. I barely remember anything of the finals though, was way too high lol

Last edited:

Burgey

Thought it was a very good WC tbh. A lot of competitive matches at the business end and it was good to see not every match was a high scoring batting fest. There was sufficient in a lot of the pitches that batsmen had to work for their runs often enough for the games to be a good contest between bat and ball.

Borges

International Regular
Best WC in a long time? Perhaps yes, but an elongated league format designed with the sole aim that all the richer cricket playing nations would definitely qualify for the knock out stage left a bad taste in the mouth.

It might be the last World Cup though; I wouldn't consider the future tournaments as Word Cups. Tournaments where most nations of the world are not allowed to compete, not allowed to even make an attempt to qualify for the final stages, cannot be rightfully called World Cups.

slugger

State Vice-Captain
I thought it was a good wc... any wc where no teams forfiet thier games is good this occured in 96 and 03 due to current world events.

I htought the lenght was alittle over the top.

regarding 2015 I understand that that the lower ranked odi teams along with the top ranked associates play a qualifing round so if it was done today it might involve west indies down zimbabwe and bangladesh vs ireland holland canada (afghanstan) .. thats what i herd. its somewhere on cricinfo.

Redbacks

International Captain
2003 was pretty awesome, the canceled games were dissapointing and rain cost the WI making the next round, but there was a good mix of great bowling performances and batting knocks.

Lara's ton.
Fleming's epic v RSA.
Kenya doing well.
Ganguly's runs, but also that yorker he copped from Bond.
Bond's 6fer v Australia, then Lee's 5fer
Pak v India (Tendulkar with the best 99 of all time).
Davidson going bonkers for Canada.
Symonds ton against Pak, his 75* in the semi on a slow track.
The Ponting hundred in the final :cool:.
Nehra v England.
Bichel with 7fer against England + runs.
Sarwan's epic against Sri Lanka after being hurt.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Dear BCCI

Now that you won, can we come back for 2015?

Regards,

the other 96 countries.
Are the BCCI the one leading the charge to reducing the WC teams for 2015? Just thought it was an ICC thing.

I may be wrong though so please do correct me if that is the case.

turnstyle

State 12th Man
Are the BCCI the one leading the charge to reducing the WC teams for 2015? Just thought it was an ICC thing.

I may be wrong though so please do correct me if that is the case.
Not 100% sure either, but it was more the point that if the BCCI wants a 12/14 team W.C, they'll get it.

Borges

International Regular
The ICC constitution is such that it can do absolutely nothing on its own; even the ICC President can'I lift his little finger without the sanction of the general body. What this means is that the mercenary cartel consisting of the boards of the richer nations (BCCI, CA, ECB and CSA) make such decisions, bully the smaller test nations into towing the line, and Lorgat is the ceremonial dummy who announces it to the world.

I would suspect that CA initiated the idea (2015), ECB seconded it (2019) and BCCI gave enthusiastic support, wondering why they hadn't thought of this on their own before the 2011 WC . Who cares about the global growth of cricket as a sport? As long as the package becomes more attractive to the broadcasters and would result in even more money flowing in.

Evermind

International Debutant
The ICC constitution is such that it can do absolutely nothing on its own; even the ICC President can'I lift his little finger without the sanction of the general body. What this means is that the mercenary cartel consisting of the boards of the richer nations (BCCI, CA, ECB and CSA) make such decisions, bully the smaller test nations into towing the line, and Lorgat is the ceremonial dummy who announces it to the world.

I would suspect that CA initiated the idea (2015), ECB seconded it (2019) and BCCI gave enthusiastic support, wondering why they hadn't thought of this on their own before the 2011 WC . Who cares about the global growth of cricket as a sport? As long as the package becomes more attractive to the broadcasters and would result in even more money flowing in.
I don't understand - so you want even more minnows playing in the world cup? The global growth of cricket shouldn't be achieved by diluting the cricketing level. I don't really want to see Netherlands (or whichever other minnow) playing England, India, SA and WI ad nauseam, when Australia didn't get to play 3 our of those 4 teams. Make it like football - have a pre-qualifying round or something. Awful minnow vs minnow or test team vs minnow games for an entire month isn't a "world cup".

keeper

U19 Vice-Captain
I think it has been a very good game, falling short only in the shortage of authentically classic matches in the knock-out stage.

I'm surprised they don't wait to see how one tournament goes before deciding how to do the next one.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I don't understand - so you want even more minnows playing in the world cup? The global growth of cricket shouldn't be achieved by diluting the cricketing level. I don't really want to see Netherlands (or whichever other minnow) playing England, India, SA and WI ad nauseam, when Australia didn't get to play 3 our of those 4 teams. Make it like football - have a pre-qualifying round or something. Awful minnow vs minnow or test team vs minnow games for an entire month isn't a "world cup".
A "world cup" has to contain more than just the top sides.

No-one complains that the football version contains about 24 sides who have absolutely no hope of winning.

The current format worked because it gave the associates plenty of time in the spotlight.

Daemon

A "world cup" has to contain more than just the top sides.

No-one complains that the football version contains about 24 sides who have absolutely no hope of winning.

The current format worked because it gave the associates plenty of time in the spotlight.
But soccer doesn't last for an entire day with lots of one sided action. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for minnows in the WC, but we do need to have some sort of a limit. This WC - 2 minnow teams is perfect imo. Also, Afghanistan needs to play :P