• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ian Chappell is one annoying old bugger

Dhoni_fan

U19 Debutant
I think Chappell had a point to be honest. Afridi is a decent player but that type of celerbration is not ideal from a skipper, it is almost giving out the message that it is all about him, no real unity or team bonding in such a gesture.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
No it is not. Not at my work place or any other work place I know.
I see where you are coming from but honestly, an ex-player commentator has generally earned his place as much on his past exploits and is somewhat different to a regular workplace, right?

smash84

The Tiger King
I think Chappell had a point to be honest. Afridi is a decent player but that type of celerbration is not ideal from a skipper, it is almost giving out the message that it is all about him, no real unity or team bonding in such a gesture.
oh please give me a break......you might as well say that about every player's celebration.

Blaze 18

Banned
If Ian Chappell had a problem with Shahid Afridi's celebration style because of it being detrimental to team bonding, then why did he have an issue with Pakistan's huddle at half time? :huh:

salman85

International Debutant
:blink:

If Ian Chappell had a problem with Shahid Afridi's celebration style because of it being detrimental to team bonding, then why did he have an issue with Pakistan's huddle at half time? :huh:
Because it's a family channel.And you don't do anything remotely close to bending over around pathans.Sure that's not a problem with 3 pathans in the huddle itself.But..

...Junaid Khan :ph34r:

Dhoni_fan

U19 Debutant
His issue was not with the huddle it was the timing of it, doing it when the innings had ended, he said they should get off the field and into the dressing rooms, I quite agree.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
I see where you are coming from but honestly, an ex-player commentator has generally earned his place as much on his past exploits and is somewhat different to a regular workplace, right?
I am sure he has earned his place to be a commentator or criticize selectively but at the same time we fans have the right to point the inconsistency in his criticism as well. I wasn't even criticizing Chappelli but tying to argue the point someone made earlier in this thread :-

"....he's also the kind of overly nostalgic guy that thinks everything should be done the way it was in his heyday. He's the grandfather who tells his grandchildren that such shenanigans would not have been stood for in his time."

So are we saying that celebrations,sendoffs etc didn't happen in his time ?

Also I find his opinion on certain matters to be biased e.g. Ponting better Captain than Waugh and Border, Really ?

Also he seems to hammer Afridi based on his behavior and in his opinion "anyone who can't control himself, how can he control the team"

YouTube - Ian Chappell Part III: 'I would place Ponting ahead of Waugh as a captain'

Yet he is on record suggesting that Warne would have made a great captain.

http://ia.rediff.com/cricket/2006/sep/26warne.htm

That's double standards.

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I am sure he has earned his place to be a commentator or criticize selectively but at the same time we fans have the right to point the inconsistency in his criticism as well. I wasn't even criticizing Chappelli but tying to argue the point someone made earlier in this thread :-

"....he's also the kind of overly nostalgic guy that thinks everything should be done the way it was in his heyday. He's the grandfather who tells his grandchildren that such shenanigans would not have been stood for in his time."

Also I find his opinion on certain matters to be biased e.g. Ponting better Captain than Waugh and Border, Really ?

Also he seems to hammer Afridi based on his behavior and in his opinion "anyone who can't control himself, how can he control the team"

YouTube - Ian Chappell Part III: 'I would place Ponting ahead of Waugh as a captain'

Yet he is on record suggesting that Warne would have made a great captain.

http://ia.rediff.com/cricket/2006/sep/26warne.htm

That's double standards.
not arguing any of those points here.. He is usually a good commentator but like all people, he has his faults and his bias against Afridi esp. seems to be the worst. Still feel he is the best out of a bad lot among the commentators around the world though.

smash84

The Tiger King
His issue was not with the huddle it was the timing of it, doing it when the innings had ended, he said they should get off the field and into the dressing rooms, I quite agree.
What is so wrong with a 1 minute huddle at the end of the innings? And they did get off the field and into the dressing room. So what is your point there???

Blaze 18

Banned
Jesus, their huddle barely lasted a minute! And what is the problem with having a huddle after an innings? You'd have a point if they had stopped play or whatever to do it, but that wasn't the case.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year

I wasn't trying to suggest that. When an old man criticises the youth of today for being too wild, do we really think he wasn't exactly the same when he was in his teens? Of course not. It's that selective nostalgia that some people get when they grow older, Chappelli to me seems to have it in spades.

Not trying to argue that he's perfectly consistent either, or that he's actually correct here, just that it's not necessarily a bias against Pakistan. Against Afridi quite possibly, but lets face it, he's a divisive figure for a neutral.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Jesus, their huddle barely lasted a minute! And what is the problem with having a huddle after an innings? You'd have a point if they had stopped play or whatever to do it, but that wasn't the case.
My personal opinion is that it was a bit OTT, and if I were captain I'd save it for the dressing room. That's just me though, and if I was commentating I probably wouldn't bother voicing it, due to the ****storm it would create. Chappelli doesn't work like that. If he has a filter between his brain and his mouth it works very differently to your or mine. The lack of filter could well be why he sometimes talks random **** which in turn ends up looking like hypocricy.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah agree with that. Chappelli has, on record, been grumpy, divisive, flat-out wrong, hypocritical and biased but a political cat, I don't think he is. I definitely disagree with everything he said about Afridi (even the shot he holed out to; if he'd got slightly more of it, we'd be praising his courage in playing his natural game) but at least he's giving us what's on his mind. The net costs of an attitude like that from someone like Chappelli are vastly out-weighed by the benefits of when he puts whoever pissed in his wheaties that morning aside and gets analytical about the game. So many other Aussie commentators don't and they're boring. It's always baffled me how such a good skipper in Taylor can be such an awful commentator but I'm guessing he's been nerfed by media training, etc.

Let's face it, Chappelli is probably one of the most influential commenters of Australian cricket and has been for a while. Whilst Benords is the soothing grandfather figure, Chappell is the hard-nosed uncle who lets you in on some hard truths. No-one (publically) dared go after Bradman until Chappelli did and he didn't wait for him to be dead before doing so. He certainly de-mystified a lot of the machinations and romanticisms about Packer and cricket at the time.

And I don't think it was his place of work re: underarm is pertinent here. I dunno if maybe you've worked in some insanely ethical places, Sanz, but it would take someone of unusually objective moral fibre to throw their family under a bus for the purposes of work, not least two younger brothers, especially where nothing more is at stake other than the result of a game. Some would say you couldn't fully trust someone who would too. Everyone has bias', inconsistencies and hypocracies but not everyone gets outed.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
To be fair to Chappelli, whilst he mightn't have fancied airing his family's laundry on air, he did let his feelings on the underarm be known in a letter he sent to Greg (link).

Fair dinkum, Greg, how much pride do you sacrifice to win $35,000? Because, brother, you sacrificed a lot in front of a huge TV audience and 52,825 people.

slip

Cricket Spectator
I understand Chappell on Pakistan. A country you can't tour half the time for safety reasons, there wicket taking are in your face celebrations and they are arrogant. One nation I hope don't win!

howardj

International Coach
Bull**** thread.

Chapps is one commentator who is actually passionate about cricket, and doesn't see commentary as a job. He makes a genuine effort to keep up to speed with the game, follows international cricket (not just the Australian team) quite closely, and has a great feel for the game. Moreover, he is analytical - he doesn't just tell you what you can already see for yourself on the TV screen.