• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Match 25 - India v Netherlands

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dhoni_fan

U19 Debutant
It's not really the match itself I am scared of but the aftermath. I'd go into depression for four years if Pakistan were to knock us out. The players themselves will be under massive pressure, as they'll be expected to win at home. As good as Sri Lanka and New Zealand are, they don't quite match up to Australia or Pakistan.
Confident of beating anyone in the quarter finals but the hype around an India v Pak contest would create an immense amount of pressure on us, in a QF contest, so its one I would ideally like to avoid this early on.

But having said that if we want to win the Cup we must be ready to defeat whoever stands in our way, at our best we can beat anyone in group A so I am not too worried but Pakistan would be the match I would like to avoid due to the tension in the match and the circumstances!

Shri

Mr. Glass
Sri Lanka has Malinga who scares the crap out of me. His bowling is dangerous. Sorry but India will have to bring their A+ game if they play against Sri Lanka, Australia or Pakistan in QF.

We should be able to beat NZ though right if we play against them?? :unsure:
Southee is a threat and Bazz and Rosco are dangerous too. Equal chance of us losing to any team. Greater chance to win the whole damn thing though.:cool:

Dissector

International Debutant
Ireland, Netherlands and Zimbabwe have made a fair account of themselves at this World Cup. Even if the ICC do reduce the number of teams, these three should be included. Kenya and Canada are the worst of the lot by a country mile, and Bangladesh have been woeful (I realise they aren't an associate but still).
I think there is a reasonable case for having two associates but not four. Presumably the two would have been Ireland and Netherlands who have been reasonably competitive. Having said that I wouldn't mind dropping the associates from the ODI World Cup altogether and giving the TT world cup where it's easier to play more games. I think TT is the best format to attract new nations anyway. This world cup and the last have been real drags and I would much prefer a shorter, more intense tournament.

Blaze 18

Banned
Sri Lanka has Malinga who scares the crap out of me. His bowling is dangerous. Sorry but India will have to bring their A+ game if they play against Sri Lanka, Australia or Pakistan in QF.

We should be able to beat NZ though right if we play against them?? :unsure:
India will have to bring their A game regardless of who their opponent is. As regards New Zealand, while they do have the weakest team of the four on paper, they have had the wood on us in ICC tournaments - I still haven't forgotten Chris Cairns pulling off an incredible victory in the Champions Trophy final. Our recent record against them has been awesome, though, so that might work in our favour.

Sri Lanka in India are a different proposition from Sri Lanka in Sri Lanka. Of course Malinga is awesome, but Indian batsmen have had the measure of him more often than not. Plus, I'd also like some payback for the 1996 semi-final and 2007 group match.

Pakistan - Fifty-fifty. We do seem to get the better of them in such games but you never know. Like I said, there will be too much pressure on our players. Being the home side et al, we'll be expected to win.

Australia - no, just no.

Blaze 18

Banned
I think there is a reasonable case for having two associates but not four. Presumably the two would have been Ireland and Netherlands who have been reasonably competitive. Having said that I wouldn't mind dropping the associates from the ODI World Cup altogether and giving the TT world cup where it's easier to play more games. I think TT is the best format to attract new nations anyway. This world cup and the last have been real drags and I would much prefer a shorter, more intense tournament.
That can be achieved by playing more games per day. The likes of Ireland and Netherlands should play ODIs. Let them play T20, sure, but let them play ODIs too. You only had to watch Borren's post-match presentation yesterday to know how much playing in the World Cup means to him and his side. I'm fairly certain he choked back tears when he was asked about Pieter Seelaar's performance. They haven't been that bad in this tournament either; they've been fairly competitive for the large part and have shown more heart than the likes of Bangladesh.

Dissector

International Debutant
I am seriously wondering how India is going to fare chasing totals in the knock-out games. Perhaps they didn't bring their A game but still their performances against Ireland and Netherlands chasing small totals has been far from convincing. How will this team fare if it has to chase 270 against Australia or Sri Lanka in a knock-out game. There will be huge pressure especially if they lose early wickets as in the last two games. I wasn't particularly optimistic about winning the Cup before and the last four games haven't made me any more confident. Too many holes in the field and the batting seems shaky under pressure. And you can't ignore the terrible record in finals in the last decade.

Blaze 18

Banned
Asked to assess South Africa, West Indies and India, who they have played against, Borren said: 'I think one big difference was that West Indies had fast bowler Kemar Roach and South Africa had Dale Steyn and Morne Morkel. It is difficult for us to play such pace. Zaheer Khan is a quality bowler, but he does not bowl at that pace. For us it (pace) is a big difference.'

Interesting comments from the Dutch captain.

Blaze 18

Banned
I am seriously wondering how India is going to fare chasing totals in the knock-out games. Perhaps they didn't bring their A game but still their performances against Ireland and Netherlands chasing small totals has been far from convincing. How will this team fare if it has to chase 270 against Australia or Sri Lanka in a knock-out game. There will be huge pressure especially if they lose early wickets as in the last two games. I wasn't particularly optimistic about winning the Cup before and the last four games haven't made me any more confident. Too many holes in the field and the batting seems shaky under pressure. And you can't ignore the terrible record in finals in the last decade.
India's recent record in finals hasn't been that bad to be fair (tri-series win in Australia, Asia Cup, etc). I do agree with the points you've made though; there's no excuse for India not bringing their A game against Ireland and Netherlands. It may come back to bite them in the backside. India's best hope in a knockout match is to bat first and post a big total. If they bat second, then one of Tendulkar-Sehwag will have to go berserk at the top. It is why Yuvraj's form is so crucial for India. Him and Dhoni have won India innumerable matches batting second.

Dissector

International Debutant
The tri-series win in Australia was superb but India never had to play a knock-out game in that series since they won 2-0 in the finals. The Asian Cup is the only knock-out ODI final I think we have won for almost a decade. I agree that the best chance is to bat first and post a big total though the England game suggests even that won't ensure a win. And we will need some luck with the toss to have that happen. The chances of meeting Pakistan in the quarters have increased which may mean three tough knock-out games in a row.

Blaze 18

Banned
The tri-series win in Australia was superb but India never had to play a knock-out game in that series since they won 2-0 in the finals. The Asian Cup is the only knock-out ODI final I think we have won for almost a decade. I agree that the best chance is to bat first and post a big total though the England game suggests even that won't ensure a win. And we will need some luck with the toss to have that happen. The chances of meeting Pakistan in the quarters have increased which may mean three tough knock-out games in a row.
NatWest series and Compaq Cup too

I don't think we'll repeat the mistakes we made in the England game - I hope not. Word has it that Ravichandran Ashwin is being kept as a secret weapon for the knockout matches. I hope it doesn't backfire. Personally I'd play three pacers and Harbhajan Singh.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Confident of beating anyone in the quarter finals but the hype around an India v Pak contest would create an immense amount of pressure on us, in a QF contest, so its one I would ideally like to avoid this early on.

But having said that if we want to win the Cup we must be ready to defeat whoever stands in our way, at our best we can beat anyone in group A so I am not too worried but Pakistan would be the match I would like to avoid due to the tension in the match and the circumstances!
Please don't get banned before the knockout stages.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
Tbh, it would give me the most satisfaction if we face the following teams in the KO stages and win.

Quarters: Pakistan
Semis: Sri Lanka (revenge for 96')
Final: Australia (revenge for 2003)

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Tbh, it would give me the most satisfaction if we face the following teams in the KO stages and win.

Quarters: Pakistan
Semis: Sri Lanka (revenge for 96')
Final: Australia (revenge for 2003)
You don't want to play Australia in a WC final mate. Better to play them before then I reckon.

Spark

Global Moderator
Nothing wrong with talking about them. It's your over confidence that I love, which is why I want you around here for the knock out stages :)
Haha indeed. It would make sense - sort of - if India's lineup was of the quality that we had four years ago, with a similar gap between them and the rest, but there just isn't. They're not even the best side in the world on paper on in the rankings in this format.