• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What are the chances of reverse swing?

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
It would be interesting if the ball decides to start reversing in some of the matches in the world cup because players like Gul and Wahab would go from being average to brilliant, which would guarantee a win for Pakistan:cool:

TumTum

Banned
Early swing is almost a guarantee there, not sure about reverse though. I guess it depends on how dry the pitches are.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
With the ball change reverse swing has become tougher to achieve in ODI cricket .

In the north i think the due and the moisture may affect the ability to reverse it too.

salman85

International Debutant
Reverse Swing could come into play,but i don't have high hopes.Plus if there is dew,it would further hamper the bowling side.

This will be a batman's worldcup by and large,which kind of sucks.I've become tired of ridculously high scoring matches.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Then how do the Pakistanis manage it on their graveyards? I think with the due we may see some reverse swing, despite the over change because Gul did against England recently in the ODI's.

pup11

International Coach
Reverse swing is likely to only come into play between overs 25-34, after that a virtually a new ball is given to the bowling side. Therefore reverse swing shouldn't be much of factor, unless teams bring in mints, fingernails, spikes and bottle caps into the equation.... :ph34r:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I was under the impression that the "new" ball is actually about 34 overs old, but it is clean rather than dirty as the "old" ball has become from use.

It's certainly not new.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Should go back to that old rule of ball from each end. They'll start reversing by the over 40 mark if handled well.

Reverse swing will happen in SL, because the pitches are rough, but conventional swing will be the one that will floor the sides here. I am watching Provincial OD matches, and it had been a swing orgy at RPS.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Still a good chance of getting reverse late, as Marc stated, they aren't brand new balls, just balls that are a little harder and much easier to see.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The replacement balls sometimes reverse much better than the previous ball had been. Seriously tough to get it consistently though.

pup11

International Coach
Still a good chance of getting reverse late, as Marc stated, they aren't brand new balls, just balls that are a little harder and much easier to see.
I watched Lee in an interview saying that the balls that they get after the 34th over are pretty much brand new as some them still have a bit of writing on them, its understood that these balls are just scrubbed by sandpaper so that the lacquer goes off, other than that they are pretty much brand new.