• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who would be more threatening to Sehwag, Asif or Steyn

Athlai

Not Terrible
I'm a big Asif fan but I was at there for that.. it was definitely not a flat pitch. Not on Day 1 anyway.
Watched this on TV when I was in Melbourne, looked great for batting. The rain was the biggest factor.

At the same time the pitch Steyn bowled on was pretty much tarmac. By flat I mean this one would be looking at 400 being the par score, pretty much all Indian pitches are looking at a par of more than these days.

Last edited:

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
What PEWS said. Ball was nipping about everywhere, wasn't exactly a 'flat pitch.'

Also worth noting that his figures in the other four innings of the series were 2/86, 1/38, 2/104 and 0/48. Obviously he's a good bowler, but that one innings aside, it's not as if he tore it up down here as some posts in this thread have indicated, and the idea that he's still a gun bowler on flat pitches isn't entirely true, especially, as Irish opener has said, he was most certainly on steroids those times that he did succeed on flat pitches.

And, long and short of it, he's only played 17 tests. To put that in perspective, after 17 Tests, Hussey averaged 82.38 with the bat and Brett Lee averaged 24.47 with the ball. A lot can still happen.

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
I'm not comparing to them at all. What I was trying to say is,

Hadlee and McGrath are on the same level as fast bowlers hence reasoning is required to choose one over the other.

Marshall and Thomson were both ruddy brilliant bowlers but Marshall is clearly better than the other, hence I don't need to reason it out over why he is better.

Anderson and Asif are both very good bowlers but the latter is clearly better than the former, hence I don't need out reason it out over why he is better.
Asif isn't 'clearly' better. He hasn't played enough yet, simple as.

mohammad16

U19 Captain
Less pace. He's still impressive, but less so. He has to remain at that high level for another 5-10 tests for me to put him alongside Steyn.

You guys forget he's still young in his carreer. He might go totally of the boil. Or get caught juicing again.
So what? whats your point, who cares about pace when you can bowl at such a consistent length and get the ball to move around????

He is a world class bowler, opposition batsmen will tell you. Miles ahead of Anderson. Him and Steyn are both among the worlds best. Asif just doesnt have a prolonged bad patch, or even a small one. Its scary how consistent he is.

And yes comparisons to Mgrath are on because he is a very similar type of bowler, no one is trying to compare their careers or assert Asif has accomplished more, Mgrath is a legend but Asif's consistent length and seam movement does remind people of Mgrath. And that is all the comparisons are restricted to.

Last edited:

andyc

So what? whats your point, who cares about pace when you can bowl at such a consistent length and get the ball to move around????

He is a world class bowler, opposition batsmen will tell you. Miles ahead of Anderson. Him and Steyn are both among the worlds best. Asif just doesnt have a prolonged bad patch, or even a small one. Its scary how consistent he is.

And yes comparisons to Mgrath are on because he is a very similar type of bowler, no one is trying to compare their careers or assert Asif has accomplished more, Mgrath is a legend but Asif's consistent length and seam movement does remind people of Mgrath. And that is all the comparisons are restricted to.
But he's only played 17 games. Like I said earlier, at that stage, Hussey was still average 80+. Anything could happen.

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
What PEWS said. Ball was nipping about everywhere, wasn't exactly a 'flat pitch.'

Also worth noting that his figures in the other four innings of the series were 2/86, 1/38, 2/104 and 0/48. Obviously he's a good bowler, but that one innings aside, it's not as if he tore it up down here as some posts in this thread have indicated, and the idea that he's still a gun bowler on flat pitches isn't entirely true, especially, as Irish opener has said, he was most certainly on steroids those times that he did succeed on flat pitches.

And, long and short of it, he's only played 17 tests. To put that in perspective, after 17 Tests, Hussey averaged 82.38 with the bat and Brett Lee averaged 24.47 with the ball. A lot can still happen.
Have you got proof for that? On those flat pitches that he had success, he was bowling around about 125-130kph, which he always has and he was bowling around that pace in the recent Australian series.

The thing about bowlers like Asif, Bond, etc.. They don't play much over the space of their career, but it's not as if they perform well for their first several Tests and then drop off and maintain good stats because of a good start. They perform consistently and always show the same class throughout the years that they do play. And FTR, playing 20 odd Tests before 1950 was a pretty fair effort. Asif has performed as well in 2006/07 as he has in 2009/10, which is spanning 3-4 years, similar to Steyn.

andyc

Have you got proof for that? On those flat pitches that he had success, he was bowling around about 125-130kph, which he always has and he was bowling around that pace in the recent Australian series.

The thing about bowlers like Asif, Bond, etc.. They don't play much over the space of their career, but it's not as if they perform well for their first several Tests and then drop off and maintain good stats because of a good start. They perform consistently and always show the same class throughout the years that they do play. And FTR, playing 20 odd Tests before 1950 was a pretty fair effort. Asif has performed as well in 2006/07 as he has in 2009/10, which is spanning 3-4 years, similar to Steyn.
Only the multiple drug tests that he came back positive for.

17 tests.After 20 tests Hussey had a batting average of 80+ 8-) Besides he was a drug cheat for 11 of the 17 matches which makes everything he did before his 12th test irrelevant.....

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
SCG was a good Test match pitch. But it was definitely offering assistance, and doesn't qualify as a "flat track".