• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who would be more threatening to Sehwag, Asif or Steyn

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
WTFudge?? Asif overrated???

He hasnt played enough in all those years, he was banned remember?

Asif probably is the best flat track bowler in the world, this guys able to somehow get seam movement in any conditions.
Yeah, for juicing.

Which subsequently puts his early career under serious question for me. Since then, hes lost a yard of pace, which makes everything he does slightly less effective. On his day Anderson is a better bowler for me, they both use good conditions about the same.

He's not that great a flat-track bowler either. Yes, he has a good cricketing brain, but thats pretty much it. His natural talent is mostly nullified on a flat track due to his recent loss of pace.

Still a talented guy, but no he hasn't proven himself yet.

Last edited:

Teja.

Global Moderator
Yeah, for juicing.

Which subsequently puts his early career under serious question for me. Since then, hes lost a yard of pace, which makes everything he does slightly less effective. On his day Anderson is a better bowler for me, they both use good conditions about the same.

He's not that great a flat-track bowler either. Yes, he has a good cricketing brain, but thats pretty much it. His natural talent is motly nullified on a flat track due to his recent loss of pace.

Still a talented guy, but no he hasn't proven himself yet.
In my humble opinion, Asif is a league ahead of Anderson.

Athlai

Not Terrible
No way is Anderson a better bowler, on their respective 'days' Asif is far more unplayable IMO. Anderson isn't much of a Test bowler at all unless its on his 'day', Asif would probably be close to edging him out on how he normally bowls without needing to have had a great day. Apples and oranges.

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
On there day, most pace bowlers will be better then Asif, because he only bowls 125-130kph. However, the great thing about Asif's bowling is that he rarely has a poor day, rarely has a day where he isn't bowling to the highest standard (In Tests) and that he is the only bowler in world cricket who can get the ball to cut off of the surface consistently. That's why he averages low 20's.

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
He had his best bowling innings just 2 matches ago in Sydney. Was pretty impressive how he kept nagging away, when it looked as if Sami was going to take all of the spotlight.

Class bowler.

NasserFan207

Less pace. He's still impressive, but less so. He has to remain at that high level for another 5-10 tests for me to put him alongside Steyn.

You guys forget he's still young in his carreer. He might go totally of the boil. Or get caught juicing again.

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
He had his best bowling innings just 2 matches ago in Sydney. Was pretty impressive how he kept nagging away, when it looked as if Sami was going to take all of the spotlight.

Class bowler.
Not to forget the horrendous amount of drops recently, I counted Aamer's and there were 10 in the last 8 matches off his bowling. Pretty sure there were at least 5 off Asifs.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Less pace. He's still impressive, but less so. He has to remain at that high level for another 5-10 tests for me to put him alongside Steyn.

You guys forget he's still young in his carreer. He might go totally of the boil. Or get caught juicing again.
5 would probably confirm his class IMO, Steyn's barely played 5 years himself after all.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Great reasoning there Teja.
I would have reasoned if we were comparing Hadlee and McGrath.

I don't need to reason to say Marshall was a better bowler than Thomson much the same way I don't need to reason to say Asif is a better bowler than Anderson.

5 would probably confirm his class IMO, Steyn's barely played 5 years himself after all.
Steyn got almost 200 wickets already while Asif has less than 100.Steyn has shown that he can perform when conditions do not suit him but so far Asif has not.Asif is better than Steyn when there is something in the pitch but Steyn is better on flat pitches.A simple look at Asif's stats tells us he strruggles on flat pitches.IIRC he averages something like 45 in Pakistan.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Steyn got almost 200 wickets already while Asif has less than 100.Steyn has shown that he can perform when conditions do not suit him but so far Asif has not.Asif is better than Steyn when there is something in the pitch but Steyn is better on flat pitches.A simple look at Asif's stats tells us he strruggles on flat pitches.IIRC he averages something like 45 in Pakistan.
Asif can't perform when conditions don't suit? What are you talking about? He has played twice in Pakistan.

Anyway no point in getting too into a career of Asif conversation as he is a twerp and will likely get himself banned or something again. The only thing thats holding him back is himself, unfortunately he appears to be a huge obstacle.

NasserFan207

I would have reasoned if we were comparing Hadlee and McGrath.

I don't need to reason to say Marshall was a better bowler than Thomson much the same way I don't need to reason to say Asif is a better bowler than Anderson.
Asif has less than 100 test wickets, and for part of his career was on steroids. Please don't compare him to Hadlee or McGrath (at least yet).

Asif can't perform when conditions don't suit? What are you talking about? He has played twice in Pakistan.

Anyway no point in getting too into a career of Asif conversation as he is a twerp and will likely get himself banned or something again. The only thing thats holding him back is himself, unfortunately he appears to be a huge obstacle.
I said Asif has not shown us that he can yet....I did not say he cannot.He has not run through a side on a flat pitch like Steyn did against India....

Teja.

Global Moderator
Asif has less than 100 test wickets, and for part of his career was on steroids. Please don't compare him to Hadlee or McGrath (at least yet).
I'm not comparing to them at all. What I was trying to say is,

Hadlee and McGrath are on the same level as fast bowlers hence reasoning is required to choose one over the other.

Marshall and Thomson were both ruddy brilliant bowlers but Marshall is clearly better than the other, hence I don't need to reason it out over why he is better.

Anderson and Asif are both very good bowlers but the latter is clearly better than the former, hence I don't need out reason it out over why he is better.