• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Road to the 2011 ODI World Cup

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I would love for Australia to open with Warner and Watto and have Brett Lee back too.

1. Watson
2. Warner
3. Ponting
4. Clarke
5. Hussey
6. White
7. Haddin
8. Johnson
9. Lee
10. Haurtiz
11. Bollinger

12. Smith
Ferguson will be back for Australia and I think he'll be a more reliable bat than Warner. Would hope it's something like:

Watson
Haddin
Ponting
Clarke
Hussey
White
Ferguson
Johnson
Lee
Hauritz
Bollinger/McKay/Harris

Ideally I'd have Clarke out, and Ferguson and Warner in, but don't think that's going to be happening any time soon.

Watto for MOTS, btw.

pasag

RTDAS
Watching the IPL game last night, all our scoring rate problems would be solved by Gilly and Symonds at either end of the batting lineup.

Anyways:

Watson
Marsh
Ponting
Haddin
White
Hussey
Warner
Johnson
Hauritz
Harris
Bollinger

Marsh is the only iffy one, but on flat swingless pitches in India, I'd back him.

Watching the IPL game last night, all our scoring rate problems would be solved by Gilly and Symonds at either end of the batting lineup.

Anyways:

Watson
Marsh
Ponting
Haddin
White
Hussey
Warner
Johnson
Hauritz
Harris
Bollinger

Marsh is the only iffy one, but on flat swingless pitches in India, I'd back him.
Cant see the point in batting Warner at 7, he is best during a powerplay and you are guaranteed 15 of them at the start of the innings. Not that I think he should be in the ODI team yet.

pasag

RTDAS
Cant see the point in batting Warner at 7, he is best during a powerplay and you are guaranteed 15 of them at the start of the innings. Not that I think he should be in the ODI team yet.
Don't think he's good enough to open yet. IMO, he could be the perfect solution to our final overs problem of the past few years and could transform our 260 scores into 300+ scores regularly.

King Pietersen

International Captain
Colly captain? He gave it up a couple of years back...
Don't think KP's sold on playing Strauss tbh :p
Indeed. I don't think he'll last until the 2011 WC if his ODi form continues as it has. Seems to have been ignored that he's not actually done that well. Played well in his 5 ODi's in 08/09, but since then he's been mediocre at best. 323 runs at 35.88 at a strike rate of 78 in 09 and 120 runs at 17.14 at a strike rate of 65.57 in 09/10. I actually think it's more likely that Cook will play in the WC.

Strauss
Davies
KP
Trott
Morgan
Colly
Flintoff
Swann
Broad
Blackwell
Anderson

As others have said with Trott and Collys bowling they should make up the fourth seamer if needed. Not a good side, but actually better then many that England have put out over the last few decades.

Oh and when Freddies injured replace him with Bresnan, I guess.
No Kieswetter? and Bresnan to replace Fred instead of Wright?

Also, with Blackwell playing, don't you think it's a bit harsh having him bat below Swann and Broad? Might have struggled in the few International games he played, but I don't think he's an inferior batsman to Swann or Broad.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
No Kieswetter? and Bresnan to replace Fred instead of Wright?

Also, with Blackwell playing, don't you think it's a bit harsh having him bat below Swann and Broad? Might have struggled in the few International games he played, but I don't think he's an inferior batsman to Swann or Broad.
Not convinced by Kieswetter yet, think Davies deserves his chance. Blackie doesn't convince me as an international bat, but your right he probably should be ahead of Broad. Just don't like Wright, would have Trego ahead of him.

King Pietersen

International Captain
I like Davies too, but Kieswetter's come in and performed well. I'd like to see them opening together personally. I don't think Strauss has a future in ODi's, Davies and Kieswetter are 2 of our most promising batsmen, so get 'em in the side together. Both better options than Cook and Strauss AFAIC.

I'd take Napier ahead of both of them, but it's looking unlikely that he'll ever get picked.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
His speed will not magically reappear. It would seem that his 140kph pace came as a result of excitement and confidence for playing for India, something which eventually fades away. We often see bowlers debut with high speeds and then fade into fast medium, although probably not to his extent. The obvious examples are Munaf, Finn (just recently bowling at 90mph, bowls nowhere near that domestically), Siddle (not quite reached the heights of his early matches), Aamer (contentious one), Sidebottom, Bollinger, all who have shown themselves to bowl at 110% speed on their debut few games. An issue with Ishant is that he is currently bowling far slower than he was domestically prior to his debut, which is a worry. To me, I think he must get stronger. I'm not saying that he should bulk up, but it does not take a rocket scientist (not that one would help) to tell that someone as skinny as he is, couldn't do with putting on a bit of strength and lean muscle. He is 21, but at 130kph, with his accuracy, he won't trouble anyone for a long period of time.
You are being too harsh and jumping the gun on Ishant. As I said, he is just 21. Give him some time. Look at it this way - for a 21 year old, he bowls mighty well even at current levels.

With RP Singh, the speed is once again worrying. It is more straightforward with him though. He debuted as a 130kph bowler, put on some speed after some strength work at Leicestershire which eventually wore off after a few years. He was never the most accurate seamer either and one who seldom swings it and only in helpful conditions.
Yeah RP Singh is a bit of a hit and miss. He MAY be back but he may just fade away as well.

Sreesanth is only handy when he bowls at 140kph and gets it to swing late. At 130kph, he is a joke. However, when he gets the speeds up, he can be a potent wicket taker, this only tends to happen when he has been playing cricket for a while without injury but he did seem to be showing signs of it in the last game. The last time I recall him bowling truly quickly was here where he was clearly expensive but took plenty of wickets.
Sreesanth needs discipline and that's the only way he will improve his speeds. The man has talent. I hope he does justice to it.

As for VRV Singh, I cannot remember the last time he played a game, reckon he is seriously injured.
Saw his profile. Worrying he hasn't played for a fair while.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Watson
Haddin
Ponting
Mussey
Clarke
White
Ferguson
Johnson
Lee
Hauritz
Harris/Bollinger

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
England:

Strauss
Kieswetter/Davies
Pietersen
Collingwood
Morgan
Flintoff
Wright
Bresnan
Swann
Broad
Anderson

Thought this up on the fly so might have missed someone obvious. Not convinced on choosing Bresnan but my god that side can bat. There's your world champs, folks.
Wright and Bresnan remain :no: names, but the rest are either decent, very promising, excellent or still-with-hope-yet. Best situation England have been in for a number of years.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
1. Andrew Strauss/Steven Davies (depending on Strauss's form in this format)
2. Craig Kieswetter
3. Kevin Pietersen
4. Jonathan Trott
5. Paul Collingwood *
6. Eoin Morgan
7. Andrew Flintoff/Luke Wright (depending on Fred's fitness)
8. Adil Rashid/Samit Patel/Ian Blackwell/James Tredwell/David Wainwright (depending on county form)
9. Graeme Swann
10. Stuart Broad
11. James Anderson

The WC is being played in the subcontinent, we have to play 2 spinners. I don't think we'll see anyone else other than those 4 listed come good by 2011
I don't think any of them have a hope in hell of coming good by a year's time. Blackwell would be the least disastrous choice of the lot.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Indeed. I don't think he'll last until the 2011 WC if his ODi form continues as it has. Seems to have been ignored that he's not actually done that well. Played well in his 5 ODi's in 08/09, but since then he's been mediocre at best. 323 runs at 35.88 at a strike rate of 78 in 09 and 120 runs at 17.14 at a strike rate of 65.57 in 09/10. I actually think it's more likely that Cook will play in the WC..
No chance. Rightly or wrongly, Strauss will play in the WC because he's the England captain.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
You are being too harsh and jumping the gun on Ishant. As I said, he is just 21. Give him some time. Look at it this way - for a 21 year old, he bowls mighty well even at current levels.
Meh. "For a 21 year old" doesn't really cut it for me, if you are 21 and playing international cricket, you better be something special else no reason to jump people who have toiled for years in domestic cricket.

Sreesanth needs discipline and that's the only way he will improve his speeds. The man has talent. I hope he does justice to it.
It is not about discipline, imo. It is important he screws his head on, but he always runs in at 100%, regardless of what rubbish he is speaking to the batsman.