• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Road to the 2011 ODI World Cup

King Pietersen

International Captain
1. Andrew Strauss/Steven Davies (depending on Strauss's form in this format)
2. Craig Kieswetter
3. Kevin Pietersen
4. Jonathan Trott
5. Paul Collingwood *
6. Eoin Morgan
7. Andrew Flintoff/Luke Wright (depending on Fred's fitness)
8. Adil Rashid/Samit Patel/Ian Blackwell/James Tredwell/David Wainwright (depending on county form)
9. Graeme Swann
10. Stuart Broad
11. James Anderson

The WC is being played in the subcontinent, we have to play 2 spinners. I don't think we'll see anyone else other than those 4 listed come good by 2011, so I imagine we'll be picking between those guys. Hopefully Rashid'll put in some fantastic performances for Yorkshire and make England pick him. We have to go in with something abit different to Swanny too, not a big fan of Tredwell. Liking that team though, long batting line-up, 5 decent OD bowling options (if we pick a good 2nd spinner) and a good fielding unit.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
2. Craig Kieswetter
3. Kevin Pietersen
4. Jonathan Trott
5. Paul Collingwood *
6. Eoin Morgan
8. Adil Rashid/Samit Patel/Ian Blackwell/James Tredwell/David Wainwright (depending on county form)
9. Graeme Swann
10. Stuart Broad
11. James Anderson

5 decent OD bowling options (if we pick a good 2nd spinner)
7 to be honest. Anderson, Broad, Swann, Fred/Wright, Second spinner, Collywobbles and Trott all genuine options,

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Strauss
Davies
KP
Trott
Morgan
Colly
Flintoff
Swann
Broad
Blackwell
Anderson

As others have said with Trott and Collys bowling they should make up the fourth seamer if needed. Not a good side, but actually better then many that England have put out over the last few decades.

Oh and when Freddies injured replace him with Bresnan, I guess.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
2. Craig Kieswetter
3. Kevin Pietersen
4. Jonathan Trott
5. Paul Collingwood *
6. Eoin Morgan
9. Graeme Swann
10. Stuart Broad
11. James Anderson

The WC is being played in the subcontinent, we have to play 2 spinners. I don't think we'll see anyone else other than those 4 listed come good by 2011, so I imagine we'll be picking between those guys. Hopefully Rashid'll put in some fantastic performances for Yorkshire and make England pick him. We have to go in with something abit different to Swanny too, not a big fan of Tredwell. Liking that team though, long batting line-up, 5 decent OD bowling options (if we pick a good 2nd spinner) and a good fielding unit.
Colly captain? He gave it up a couple of years back...

Athlai

Not Terrible
McCullum
Ryder
Guptill
Taylor
Styris
Williamson
Elliott
Vettori
Tuffey
Bond
Southee
Mills in for Tuffey, possibly Oram in for Williamson.

McCullum(+)
Ryder
Guptill
Taylor
Elliott
Styris
Vettori
Oram
Mills
Bond
Southee

A lot of those positions could be swapped around, Ryder-Guptill, Elliott-Styris, Vettori-Oram. Reckon this side has more bowling even if Oram is a bit dire with the bat these days.

Days of Grace

International Captain
If you're going to play Williamson in the world cup or even have him in the squad, you'd want him to have a couple of ODIs under his belt at least beforehand.

When can we debut the lad?

Do we have an ODI series in the subcontinent this year? That would be an ideal time.

P.S. Does Williamson's offies actually spin? He seems to be able to always pick up 2 or 3 wickets in a match, even though they are usually tail-enders.

Cruxdude

International Debutant
The problem with Praveen Kumar I eel is that generally you can't bring him back for spells any time after the ball stops swinging. With his lack of pace he becomes pretty easy to hit. I think Ishant was just going through a bad patch. Watching him bowl at the IPL has been heartening.

Speaking about Sreesanth, he should develop a new slower delivery. His current one is really bad.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
If you're going to play Williamson in the world cup or even have him in the squad, you'd want him to have a couple of ODIs under his belt at least beforehand.
Well, the ODI WC isn't for 11 months, so there's plenty of time.

P.S. Does Williamson's offies actually spin?
Yes - probably more than any other finger spinner in the country (at least playing domestic cricket or higher).

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
I would love for Australia to open with Warner and Watto and have Brett Lee back too.

1. Watson
2. Warner
3. Ponting
4. Clarke
5. Hussey
6. White
7. Haddin
8. Johnson
9. Lee
10. Haurtiz
11. Bollinger

12. Smith

Michaelf7777777

International Debutant
For NZ

Jesse Ryder
Brendan McCullum
Martin Guptill
Ross Taylor
Grant Elliot
Scott Styris
Nathan McCullum/ Kane Williamson
Daniel Vettori
Kyle Mills
Tim Southee
Shane Bond

Flem274*

123/5
Jesse Ryder
Brendon McCullum
Martin Guptill
Ross Taylor
Grant Elliott
Scott Styris
Jacob Oram/someone like N McCullum
Daniel Vettori
Kyle Mills
Daryl Tuffey
Shane Bond

Kane Williamson
Nathan McCullum
Tim Southee
Andy McKay

Maximus0723

State Regular
All depends if India can sort their bowling out.

Their ODI batting line up is by far the best around. It says a lot for the strength of your top 6 when the weak link is Gautam Gambhir.

However, as we saw at Rajkot, no matter how much the top order scores, the opposition is always in with a chance.

If India can get even a halfway decent bowling attack, then on home soil I'd expect their batting to blow the competition away. Would be gun if Tendulkar could bow out of ODIs with a World Cup victory on home soil as well.
Naw way Jose.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
McCullum
Ryder
Guptill
Taylor
Styris
Williamson
Elliott
Vettori
Tuffey
Bond
Southee
Either you've forgotten about Mills (ranked in the top 5 ODI bowlers) or you just don't rate him, not sure ....

My side (assuming all are fit would be),,,

McCullum
Ryder
Guptill
Taylor
Styris
Elliott
Vettori
Oram
Mills
Bond
Southee/Tuffey (form dependant)

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
^ Actually Volts...Williamson's probably a fair call by next year in hindsight

Teja.

Global Moderator
As much as I want India to win it, I can't help hoping for Akthar to make a comeback and bowl Pak to the WC(or at least the semis/finals) so he'll have something exceptional in his career, dunno why, but the guy is such an adorable prick. No better sight in the world but to see him bowl in full form. :)

Xuhaib

International Coach
His speed will not magically reappear. It would seem that his 140kph pace came as a result of excitement and confidence for playing for India, something which eventually fades away. We often see bowlers debut with high speeds and then fade into fast medium, although probably not to his extent. The obvious examples are Munaf, Finn (just recently bowling at 90mph, bowls nowhere near that domestically), Siddle (not quite reached the heights of his early matches), Aamer (contentious one), Sidebottom, Bollinger, all who have shown themselves to bowl at 110% speed on their debut few games. An issue with Ishant is that he is currently bowling far slower than he was domestically prior to his debut, which is a worry. To me, I think he must get stronger. I'm not saying that he should bulk up, but it does not take a rocket scientist (not that one would help) to tell that someone as skinny as he is, couldn't do with putting on a bit of strength and lean muscle. He is 21, but at 130kph, with his accuracy, he won't trouble anyone for a long period of time.
Aamer is actually bowling quicker then his debut series against SL when he was consistently 135-140.