• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Road to the 2011 ODI World Cup

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
That post is now too old to be edited but this would be the best reflection of it:
I'll go so far as to say that if NZ ever host a (full, men's, cricket) WC by themselves in my lifetime I'll eat my computer.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I wonder how many times it's going to need to be re-clarified............... must still be a fair few straws left to clutch at?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
ODI First XI For World Cup

I would like this to be the Indian ODI XI come the world cup -

Tendulkar
Sehwag
Gambhir
Yuvraj
Raina
Rohit Sharma
Dhoni
Yousuf Pathan
Harbhajan Singh
Praveen Kumar
Zaheer Khan

I would play the extra batsman. The more natural squad would be Ishant in place of Rohit Sharma.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
England:

Strauss
Kieswetter/Davies
Pietersen
Collingwood
Morgan
Flintoff
Wright
Bresnan
Swann
Broad
Anderson

Thought this up on the fly so might have missed someone obvious. Not convinced on choosing Bresnan but my god that side can bat. There's your world champs, folks.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Tendulkar
Sehwag
Gambhir
Yuvraj
Karthik
Dhoni
Yusuf
Harbhajan
Khan
Sreesanth
RP Singh

Last edited:

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
SL XI

TM Dilshan (RH, OB, RWK)
Jeewantha Kulatunga (RH, RMF)
Kumar Sangakkkara (C, LH, RWK)
Mahela Jayawardane (RH)
Dinesh Chandimal (RH, WK)
Chinthaka Jayasinghe (RH, RMF)
Angelo Mathews (RH, RFM)
Suraj Randiv (RH, OB)
Nuwan Kulasekara (RH, RFM) / Thilan Thushara (LH, LFM)
Lasith Malinga (RH, RF)
Muttiah Muralitharan (RH, OB)

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
I would like this to be the Indian ODI XI come the world cup -

Tendulkar
Sehwag
Gambhir
Yuvraj
Raina
Rohit Sharma
Dhoni
Yousuf Pathan
Harbhajan Singh
Praveen Kumar
Zaheer Khan

I would play the extra batsman. The more natural squad would be Ishant in place of Rohit Sharma.
1. Sachin Tendulkar
2. Virender Sehwag
3. Gautam Gambhir
4. Yuvraj Singh
5. Suresh Raina
6. MS Dhoni
7. Yusuf Pathan
8. Harbhajan Singh
9. Praveen Kumar / Sreesanth (if he remembers how to bowl)
10. Zaheer Khan
11. Pragyan Ojha

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
England:

Strauss
Kieswetter/Davies
Pietersen
Collingwood
Morgan
Flintoff
Wright
Bresnan
Swann
Broad
Anderson

Thought this up on the fly so might have missed someone obvious. Not convinced on choosing Bresnan but my god that side can bat. There's your world champs, folks.
God we're pants.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Yeah, love Ojha a lot. Sorry Uppercut.

EDIT - I would have Mishra in my squad as the third spinner. Quality bowler.

Last edited:

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, love Ojha a lot. Sorry Uppercut.

EDIT - I would have Mishra in my squad as the third spinner. Quality bowler.
Yes, agreed. Chawla, Ashwin and Powar (probs a few others) are top quality, but those two are slightly better, imo.

Our fast bowling situation is quite dire though, it must be said. Praveen is pretty damn poor with the old ball, at 125kph with no bounce or reverse swing, Ishant fails to touch 130kph, Irfan Pathan swung it in his last IPL game but at 120kph (probs due to the injury), Nehra lacks wicket taking ability (despite being steady) on flat pitches, Balaji hasn't been too hot in domestic OD since his comeback two years back, Tyagi is dire (see today) and so on...

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Ishant has been disappointing but will deliver the goods in the long run I feel. We forget that he is just 21. RP is also just 23/24.

Our current fast bowling stocks are weak though. Zaheer is good and one half of the problem is solved. It is the other fast bowler who needs finding. I have faith in Praveen Kumar and I think he adds depth with his batting too but he can be inconsistent as we have discussed. The need to give him a long stint in the ODI fiist XI and then judge based on that IMO.

If Sreesanth is good though, he would WALK ito the team. He is the most talented among the current stock of bowlers but the discipline issues have always been there. So he is a dark horse but I wouldn't bank upon him.

I wouldn't give up on Tyagi or VRV Singh yet. I think they have a future, just not in the near future.

For the second fast bowler's spot in the world cup, it is between Praveen Kumar, Sreesanth and Ishant Sharma and the spot is up for grabs.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Ishant has been disappointing but will deliver the goods in the long run I feel. We forget that he is just 21. RP is also just 23/24.
His speed will not magically reappear. It would seem that his 140kph pace came as a result of excitement and confidence for playing for India, something which eventually fades away. We often see bowlers debut with high speeds and then fade into fast medium, although probably not to his extent. The obvious examples are Munaf, Finn (just recently bowling at 90mph, bowls nowhere near that domestically), Siddle (not quite reached the heights of his early matches), Aamer (contentious one), Sidebottom, Bollinger, all who have shown themselves to bowl at 110% speed on their debut few games. An issue with Ishant is that he is currently bowling far slower than he was domestically prior to his debut, which is a worry. To me, I think he must get stronger. I'm not saying that he should bulk up, but it does not take a rocket scientist (not that one would help) to tell that someone as skinny as he is, couldn't do with putting on a bit of strength and lean muscle. He is 21, but at 130kph, with his accuracy, he won't trouble anyone for a long period of time.

With RP Singh, the speed is once again worrying. It is more straightforward with him though. He debuted as a 130kph bowler, put on some speed after some strength work at Leicestershire which eventually wore off after a few years. He was never the most accurate seamer either and one who seldom swings it and only in helpful conditions.

If Sreesanth is good though, he would WALK ito the team. He is the most talented among the current stock of bowlers but the discipline issues have always been there. So he is a dark horse but I wouldn't bank upon him.
Sreesanth is only handy when he bowls at 140kph and gets it to swing late. At 130kph, he is a joke. However, when he gets the speeds up, he can be a potent wicket taker, this only tends to happen when he has been playing cricket for a while without injury but he did seem to be showing signs of it in the last game. The last time I recall him bowling truly quickly was here where he was clearly expensive but took plenty of wickets.

I wouldn't give up on Tyagi or VRV Singh yet. I think they have a future, just not in the near future.
Tyagi definitely needs work on his run up. As for VRV Singh, I cannot remember the last time he played a game, reckon he is seriously injured.

Cruxdude

International Debutant
1. Sachin Tendulkar
2. Virender Sehwag
3. Gautam Gambhir
4. Yuvraj Singh
5. Suresh Raina
6. MS Dhoni
7. Yusuf Pathan
8. Harbhajan Singh
9. Praveen Kumar / Sreesanth (if he remembers how to bowl)
10. Zaheer Khan
11. Pragyan Ojha
I would go with the same side except for the second fast bowler. That would be Ishant/ Sreesanth for me.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
I would certainly have Praveen kumar over Sreesanth or Ishant in Indian conditions.