• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Indian Selectors

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
We often give them the boot with a lot of pleasure... But I think this time, we need to give them full marks.. They seem to have been on the money with the test selections.

1. Picking Yuvraj for replacement to Sourav. We all have our opinions on his technique and his weaknesses but the guy has done nothing to suggest he does not belong at this level so far...

2. Mishra as the second spinner.. A great pick and a big reason for us to get over Australia... And now dropping him against quick footed Sri Lanka and picking the defensive option in Ojha.. Again seems to have worked like a charm.

3. Picking Badrinath as the reserve middle order batter.. Thank God blokes like Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina and Virat Kohli weren't considered. They still need to put out scores and days in the RAnji before their debuts can happen.

4. Picking Munaf as the 3rd seamer and recalling Sreesanth at the right time. They seem to have been touched by the magic wand..

5. Spotting M Vijay.. enough said.

For a bunch who are often collared in Indian cricket, they have done a pretty good job so far.

ret

International Debutant
They should look to field an all-rounder at some point as it would give depth to both bowling and batting

They picked only 6 bowlers for the squad of 16 against SL. Would have preferred 7 bowlers to give more options to Dhoni (though it all worked out well in the end but am talking from the PoV of pre-series planning)

And I am not too sure abt Bhajji's usefulness outside the subcontinent so would like to see a proper plan wrt to the primary spinner and his development .... Also would like to see some young fast bowlers like Tyagi included in the squad so they can learn abt playing international teams from the dressing room

bagapath

International Captain
vengsarkar's selection team was instrumental in the rebuilding of the indian team. he had made much tougher decisions, like dropping saurav and then bringing him back, that have helped the team in the long run.

Sir Alex

Banned
Thanks for opening this nice thread honestbharani. I agree with you and Bagapath. Both the selection committees have taken some brave decisions like elevation of Dhoni to captaincy ahead of a much senior Yuvraj Singh and Harbhajan singh, The T20 experiments, etc. However I wish they bred Pujara in this current season. Atleast they should have given him a contract (Does he have one?) and made him an understudy for Dravd/Laxman whose boots he looks most likely to fill in. Also I wish they could have given Nair of Mumbai a fair go before dropping him. He has the potential to be the next Lance Klusener.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
We often give them the boot with a lot of pleasure... But I think this time, we need to give them full marks.. They seem to have been on the money with the test selections.

1. Picking Yuvraj for replacement to Sourav. We all have our opinions on his technique and his weaknesses but the guy has done nothing to suggest he does not belong at this level so far...

2. Mishra as the second spinner.. A great pick and a big reason for us to get over Australia... And now dropping him against quick footed Sri Lanka and picking the defensive option in Ojha.. Again seems to have worked like a charm.

3. Picking Badrinath as the reserve middle order batter.. Thank God blokes like Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina and Virat Kohli weren't considered. They still need to put out scores and days in the RAnji before their debuts can happen.

4. Picking Munaf as the 3rd seamer and recalling Sreesanth at the right time. They seem to have been touched by the magic wand..

5. Spotting M Vijay.. enough said.

For a bunch who are often collared in Indian cricket, they have done a pretty good job so far.
To be fair, with the exception of Vijay, it's difficult to imagine any other choices

Yuvraj, by virtue of his popularity, was always going to get the job whether he deserved it or not

India bowled so poorly in the first test that someone had to go and the scapegoat was Mishra

Badrinath has been crucified but it was a popularity contest so his fc runs werent enough to get him into the X1

Seesanth's selection was really just a process of elimination as Ishant, Munaf, Nehra and Kumar (in ODIs anyway) were tried and found wanting. The question was really "if not Sreesanth, then who?"

Sir Alex

Banned
Social, I disagree on the Sreesanth issue. He was facing axe from his domestic side even due to poor form and the usual disciplinary issues. There are other performing seamers in the domestic arena like sudeep Tyagi, pankaj singh, who have been in the Indian sqaud earlire also.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Seesanth's selection was really just a process of elimination as Ishant, Munaf, Nehra and Kumar (in ODIs anyway) were tried and found wanting. The question was really "if not Sreesanth, then who?"
RP Singh could have been chosen. They could have gone back to Irfan Pathan.

Sree wasn't exactly on the radar. Surprised a few people.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Badrinath has been crucified but it was a popularity contest so his fc runs werent enough to get him into the X1
That's not relevant to the point he made. The selectors chose Badrinath when they could have easily chosen Raina.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Heh, that's funny so I'll give you credit but you weren't replying to the point the opening post was making.
yeah.. Social, I agree with you that he should have had a shot at playing. But at the same time, Yuvi has not done badly at all and he was in red hot form in the ODIs against England, so it is hard to argue against them giving him the shot first... As I said, I am really glad that he is next in line for a middle order spot than the likes of Rohit, Raina and Kohli...

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
While they did make a few calls right, most important one being the recall of Sreesanth at the right time..but I really think they are making a big mistake by sidelining Irfan Pathan. He can be used effectively in both Test and ODI cricket. He won them a test match in Perth in 07.

Sir Alex

Banned
While they did make a few calls right, most important one being the recall of Sreesanth at the right time..but I really think they are making a big mistake by sidelining Irfan Pathan. He can be used effectively in both Test and ODI cricket. He won them a test match in Perth in 07.
He has been sidelined on account of poor performances and quite rightly. He needs to find his form and work his way back to the Indian team.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Yeah Indian selectors have been good right from the time of blooding Ishant Sharma one can argue. Unlike bagapath, I hated the selection committe under Vengsarkar. Vengsarkar said in the press that Nehra had no chance ever of making the team and had written him off.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
^ Yep I remember that interview before the 07 World Cup. Some reporter asked him why Nehra wasnt picked considering he had a 6 wicket haul in the 03 World Cup.
Vengsarkar said something along the lines of him having played in 87(or was it 83) World Cup aswell and did a decent job..so should be be a contender for 07 World Cup aswell? :laugh:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
It was a good reply to a **** question though.

Nehra's 6-fer was irrelevant to selecting him in 2007.

ramkumar_gr

U19 Vice-Captain
Srikanth's son in the TN squad

Those who follow the Ranji Trophy will be continually amazed with the selection of Anirudha Srikanth, Son of Krishnamachari Srikanth in the XI. He averages 20+ from 15 FC matches, all others average 40-50+. There are players who are not in the XI deserve a place in the XI more than Anirudha. E.g. SS Kumar, Rajagopal Satish, etc. Politics and favouritism never die in Indian cricket.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Those who follow the Ranji Trophy will be continually amazed with the selection of Anirudha Srikanth, Son of Krishnamachari Srikanth in the XI. He averages 20+ from 15 FC matches, all others average 40-50+. There are players who are not in the XI deserve a place in the XI more than Anirudha. E.g. SS Kumar, Rajagopal Satish, etc. Politics and favouritism never die in Indian cricket.
Is S Aniruddha the same guy as Aniruddha Srikkanth?

And FWIW, he scored a 70 off 90 balls yesterday and was involved in a century opening stand against Hyderabad...

ramkumar_gr

U19 Vice-Captain
Is S Aniruddha the same guy as Aniruddha Srikkanth?

And FWIW, he scored a 70 off 90 balls yesterday and was involved in a century opening stand against Hyderabad...
yes he did, but that is after getting countless chances. There are numerous players who averaged less than 40 in their first 2-3 FC matches never found their way back. e.g. C HemanthKumar, K Sri Vasudevadass, J R Madanagopal and the list is very long...