• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

O'Brien to retire after Pakistan series

Isolator

State 12th Man
this is just not fair. and how can someone who puts in so much effort chuck it all up like this? the least he could do was hang on for a year or two more. it's not like 35-36 is too old to start a family, is it? christ. I'm seriously depressed about this, and not in a funny way.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Holy ****, did not see this coming. Originally, I was not a fan but he has fought tooth and nail at international level and I love him now. Will miss him :(

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Don't understand why he wants to settle in England. Is O'Brien's missus English or is Wellington that bad?

Forged a pretty decent test career for himself after the traumas of his first few tests and has been very good this current test series.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Made it through the night - just. Thanks for the texts of well wishes guys. Its a tough time I'm going through here.

Craig

World Traveller
Don't understand why he wants to settle in England. Is O'Brien's missus English or is Wellington that bad?

Forged a pretty decent test career for himself after the traumas of his first few tests and has been very good this current test series.
Yes, she lives in Derbyshire.

NZ Guy

U19 Captain
Don't see what must be so vital for her to stay in England that he must have to give up cricket, anyone know her occupation?

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
O'No. :(

Nah, fair enough. Don't have a problem with him doing that at all, and good luck to him. I would have preferred to see him leave it until after the Aussie series though.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Which makes it a bit odd that he's going to be playing for Middlesex?
Shame, he worked well at Leics. Workmanlike overseas seam bowlers are their speciality (always wished Kasprowicz had played longer there).

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Iain O'Brien retires from International Cricket

Not even joking.

Big decision to make, think it's extremely noble and admirable of him. Really hope he goes out on a high. :)

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
I hear O'Brien's going to retire soon, perhaps after the Pakistan series.