• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Man of the Tournament?

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's Ponting. That's a bit of a joke really. Complete joke, in fact. Do they pick it before the final is played?

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Watto hard done by but he'd have to be pleased with himself.

The greatest all rounder of all time? No, but he's up there with the best of the current crop.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
My choice would have been Ponting, If I had to pick before the final. But after the final it was Watson. Anyways, I guess it seems that since watson was the automatic choice for MoM they gave MoS to a Ponting.

pasag

RTDAS
Not that tough to be the best all-rounder in the world these days. Hit a few runs, take a few wickets and you're in.

pup11

International Coach
Watson deserved the MoS...........
Ponting came in to bat in most games after the fall of an early wicket and batted in sublime fashion, he was at the heart of our performance through the CT, no doubt Watto was excellent as well, but I think Ponting was in a different league all together.

Uppercut

Ponting made one in the final! One solitary run!

I think people are just seeing what they expected to see with respect to Ponting.

pup11

International Coach
Ponting made one in the final! One solitary run!

I think people are just seeing what they expected to see with respect to Ponting.
So what, the runs that he made before the final don't count for anything just because he scored one in the final, without his knocks prior to the final, we might not have even made it that far.

Uppercut

You're comparing him to Shane Watson though, who scored runs before the final AND in the final.

Why does it matter who gets the MOTS, Ponting was superb with the bat and as captain, Watson was superb with the bat and the ball. Who was the better player cannot be qualified as both excelled in their roles which were different in so many ways. Somehow I dont think either of them feel they deserved it more than each other and in their own way look at it more of a team achievment than an individual honor. Well done to both of them I say.

pup11

International Coach
You're comparing him to Shane Watson though, who scored runs before the final AND in the final.
Ponting scored runs in difficult batting conditions against West Indies and India, then he backed it up with a brilliant century against the Poms on a beautiful batting wicket, and to put it simply he hardly put a foot wrong before the final, and to add to that as Streetwise mentioned, he lead the side very well which would have also been considered.

Uppercut

He scored extremely slowly against India, and in any case the innings was inconsequential, and the West Indies were crap. Even then, he failed to go on with it both times.

Put it this way- I wouldn't trade Watto's century in the final for both of Ponting's group-stage knocks put together. When you throw his bowling into the equation it becomes a non-contest.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Ponting just seems to get MOTM/MOTS when other more deserving players seem to miss out, happens loads. Watson should have got it.