• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Group B Discussion - South Africa, Sri Lanka, New Zealand, England

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I believe one of Ryder or McCullum should drop down to 6 or 7, without Oram in form we don't have any big boundry hitters once you get past Taylor.
Franklin showed some promise in that regard against Sri Lanka.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I believe one of Ryder or McCullum should drop down to 6 or 7, without Oram in form we don't have any big boundry hitters once you get past Taylor.
Is 6 for Ryder too low?

And who would bat at 3?

Those are my questions.

Days of Grace

International Captain
I think

McCullum
Ryder
Guptill
Taylor
Elliott

is fine, tbh.

We have been worried about our top 3 for years, and when we finally get it looking quite good (with results to go with it) we want to change it?

Just leave it for 20 games and then see where it's at. In their peak period, Australia probably went 50 games without changing their top 4/5 batting order.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Reckon we should keep our current openers and when Ryder comes back he can have the number 3 spot.

Really hope Guppy secures his spot as opener.

pup11

International Coach
Completely agree with that, I think that has been one of the problem area's for the Black caps in recent times, they have lacked a finisher to put finishing touches to platform provided by the top order.

McCullum was one of the best finishers in the game when New Zealand think-tank decided to make him open, he has played a few decent knocks opening the innings, but he would be much better batting in middle-order and would also serve his team a lot better doing that.

Also believe its worth giving Broom a consistent run at no.3, because from what I have seen he seems to be a pretty good batsman, but down at no. 6 or 7 he hasn't been able to play freely, allowing him to bat at no.3 would give him much more freedom to play his natural game.

Days of Grace

International Captain
Reckon we should keep our current openers and when Ryder comes back he can have the number 3 spot.

Really hope Guppy secures his spot as opener.
Okay, I can go along with that, since Guptill is an opener by trade, and Ryder may have trouble against the new ball.

I think your no.3 should always be an attacking, techically player. The prime example is Ricky Ponting.

However, there is an argument still for Ryder/McCullum to open: the right-left combination.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Okay, I can go along with that, since Guptill is an opener by trade, and Ryder may have trouble against the new ball.

I think your no.3 should always be an attacking, techically player. The prime example is Ricky Ponting.

However, there is an argument still for Ryder/McCullum to open: the right-left combination.
Yeah the left-right combination would be the best reason for keeping it.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Completely agree with that, I think that has been one of the problem area's for the Black caps in recent times, they have lacked a finisher to put finishing touches to platform provided by the top order.

McCullum was one of the best finishers in the game when New Zealand think-tank decided to make him open, he has played a few decent knocks opening the innings, but he would be much better batting in middle-order and would also serve his team a lot better doing that.

Also believe its worth giving Broom a consistent run at no.3, because from what I have seen he seems to be a pretty good batsman, but down at no. 6 or 7 he hasn't been able to play freely, allowing him to bat at no.3 would give him much more freedom to play his natural game.
Guptill
Ryder/McCullum
Broom
Taylor
Elliott
McCullum/Ryder
Franklin
Vettori
Mills
Tuffey
Bond

Could fly, problems being Broom's unknown quanitity. McMillan near the end of his career was that great finisher and Baz/Ryder could probably replicate him with some success.

pup11

International Coach
Guptill
Ryder/McCullum
Broom
Taylor
Elliott
McCullum/Ryder
Franklin
Vettori
Mills
Tuffey
Bond

Could fly, problems being Broom's unknown quanitity. McMillan near the end of his career was that great finisher and Baz/Ryder could probably replicate him with some success.
Would definitely not move Ryder down the order, I think he is the sort of bloke who can take the attack to opposition and giving initial impetus to the innings, and not only that he seems to more comfortable dealing in boundaries, which is something he would find difficult to achieve while batting in the middle order.

McCullum is someone who has played that role pretty well in the past, so he should be pretty comfortable doing the same all over again.

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
Ma goodness............look at this thread.....its Kiwis taking over the world here.............HAHA....good luck mates.

Bouncer

State Regular
^^ let them have little fun....one of my memory of 99WC was in semi final in last 3 overs when Ijaz and saeed were toying with kiwi bowlers...Martin Crow said " This cant be happening Jeez, twice in Semis....Twice to Pak..":)

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
^^ let them have little fun....one of my memory of 99WC was in semi final in last 3 overs when Ijaz and saeed were toying with kiwi bowlers...Martin Crow said " This cant be happening Jeez, twice in Semis....Twice to Pak..":)
:laugh:

I know..............watched that Semi live....i wouldn't mind winning against the kiwis with slight struggle.....but i would certainly want to see a Pak thrashing of Aussies in the final....

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Elliot's injured. Hurt his thumb when he got hit on the hand in the last ODI. Too early yet to know whether he'll be available to play in the semi or not, but at the very least it seems unlikely that he'll be bowling.

Zinzan

He didn't adopt it. Moles is making him do it. And its about building partnerships, not McCullum scoring hundreds.
What a load a tripe, where to you get your facts from, the telephone book?....Mole's ain't an in your face type of coach for a start & we all know McCullum is a strong personality & is his own man. There's no way Mole's determines the way McCullum generally plays. Some helpful advise at times ...maybe, but McCullum still makes his own decisions.

If anyone is likely to have a bigger influence than Moles, it's Vettori.

At times you really do say things that just ain't so, yet state it with such apparent authority, particularly when you've been called out on argument & presumably do it to over-compensate, I'm not sure. Classic example here, T Henry correctly points out that he when McCullum scores more slowly he doesn't actually score more runs, so to counter that you claim "Mole is making him do it"...

Last edited:

GGG

State Captain
Elliot's injured. Hurt his thumb when he got hit on the hand in the last ODI. Too early yet to know whether he'll be available to play in the semi or not, but at the very least it seems unlikely that he'll be bowling.
Damn, anyone else playing county cricket? Hamish Marshall :ph34r:

thierry henry

International Coach
There is some merit in McCullum being the foil to players like Ryder, Guptill and Taylor playing their strokes. Partnerships build and then those players come in, in non pressure situations with runs on the board.
There cannot possibly be merit to it UNLESS MCCULLUM IS LIKELY TO SCORE MORE RUNS THAN HE WOULD IF HE ATTACKED.

Otherwise there cannot possibly be any merit to it.

Partnerships do not build without runs.

thierry henry

International Coach
I'm sorry if I'm coming off condescending with the BIG LETTERS and 1 + 1=2 type logic, but it still seems as though you have this mindset that batting more slowly is the same as scoring more runs.

Flem274*

123/5
170/2 after 30 tactic is good for a top order of How, Astle, Fleming or something. When you have McCullum and Ryder opening though it seems a bit pointless.

Tactics should lend themselves to the players you have. We have to wrong opening partnership to play defensively.

McCullum also imo doesn't have the defensive technique yet to play that role. Would be great if he developed one but it hasn't happened yet.

_Ed_

So we're going into our semi against Pakistan in good form, and I believe we can go all the way.

This gives me an uneasy feeling of deja vu.