• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The fallout

Craig

World Traveller
Since Hilditch lives in Adelaide we facilitated the press conference yesterday and we've posted the unedited audio from that presser up on our website SACA - South Australian Cricket Association - Home

Have to say, was one of the most interesting pressers i've been to. We have a full contingent of media outlets in Adelaide with Ch10 hooking up a live feed to Melbourne. It went for a about 20 minutes - longest I've been to - and there were some really interesting questions fired at Hilditch, who to his credit, handled himself very well.
I read a rant in today's paper from some Adelaide lawyer who has a blog and basically ripped into Hilditch for owning a legal firm that earns him at least $600k a year and another $100k a year as a part-time selector.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Siddle has bowled well in 2 series, both against South Africa. He averaged 44 against India in India, which isn't bad but he did go for 4 an over. He averaged over 30 against England, which again, isn't bad. BUT, he took 3 wickets or more in an innings only 3 times. His 5 wicket haul consisted of Strauss and the last 4 wickets which needs to be done but its hardly the sign of a good bowler that he could only do it once in the series. Take that innings out and he averaged just under 40 for the series. But thats not why he shouldn't be considered at attack leader. He doesn't do enough with the ball for mine, and would need to pick up 10pkh or swing the ball more or move it off the seam.
Haha, this is postively hilarious.

Siddle averaged 44 in his debut Test match, had two good series against the number 1 side in the world, then performs reasonably well in an Ashes series in his first time in England, and he's the one to get the blame. Get serious.

And Siddle was the only one who ever looked like ripping through the tail, FTR.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Siddle averaged 44 in his debut Test match, had two good series against the number 1 side in the world, then performs reasonably well in an Ashes series in his first time in England, and he's the one to get the blame. Get serious.
Yeah agreed. At his worst in this series, he looked threatening. Whether that means threatening to take wickets or decapitate the batters, I dunno.....

Seriously, 'bowled with luck' describes his series, I reckon.

The Redbacks fans amongst us understand this all too well.

South Australia v Victoria at Adelaide, Oct 14-17, 2007 | Cricket Scorecard | Cricinfo.com

:ranting:

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
and he's the one to get the blame. Get serious.

Im not blaming him, he was better than Johnson throughout the series. Im saying he just isn't that good.

And if he was any good he might have ripped through the tail a bit more often...

Stapel

International Regular
If the Aussies will generally use 3 quicks + 1 spinner, with Watson as a 4th quick-option, and if Lee will come back in, either Siddle, Hilfy or Johnson has to go (assuming Clark is gone anyway). I would axe Siddle, I guess.

My concerns with North was that he only scored runs when Australia was already on top. In the 2nd and 5th tests, the ones Australia lost, he did nothing.
At Edgbaston he came in under quite some pressure!

inbox24

International Debutant
Don't really rate North and I think his high backlift and poor footwork will have him in trouble against decent bowling in test match cricket. He cashed in this series when the bowling was really poor and perhaps he might continue to do the same and have a somewhat successful test career but I would be very surprised if that happens as I just don't rate him.
This is what I've been saying all along.

Uppercut

I don't think it's that likely, but he's 34 (I think) and seems to constantly give away good starts with daft dismissals, or has done in this series anyway. After Hussey I'd say he's the top six player most in danger.
No way the Katman's being dropped. A lot of people would say he's the best captain in the side too, he's had some success at Sheffield Shield level apparently.

I think handing him the captaincy would be an excellent idea. He's not part of the current on-field management- Ponting tends to confer with Clarke or Hussey but very rarely Katich- so you're injecting some freshness into the side without having to go for someone new and inexperienced. It gives Ponting the opportunity to focus on his batting- there's no doubt in my mind that he's suffered in the past year from having to concentrate too hard on managing a young side, and his batting's suffered. And on top of all that, it's a job Katich is particularly well suited to.

For me it's a similar situation to Sangakarra replacing Jayawardene as captain of Sri Lanka earlier this year- resulting in considerable success for the side ever since.

Unfortunately, it won't happen. The Australians don't retain ex-captains, and they like to stick to Plan A (Clarke to take over after Ponting retires). It's not the way they do things, but it's what I would do.

Uppercut

Siddle's someone I never want to be too critical of because I like him, but he doesn't entirely convince me. He's done OK but with everyone at full fitness I'd give him a break and play Brett Lee.

I don't mean to blame him for the loss or write him off or anything like that. I just don't think he's quite in the top three quicks in Australia yet.

tooextracool

International Coach
Siddle has bowled well in 2 series, both against South Africa. He averaged 44 against India in India, which isn't bad but he did go for 4 an over. He averaged over 30 against England, which again, isn't bad. BUT, he took 3 wickets or more in an innings only 3 times. His 5 wicket haul consisted of Strauss and the last 4 wickets which needs to be done but its hardly the sign of a good bowler that he could only do it once in the series. Take that innings out and he averaged just under 40 for the series. But thats not why he shouldn't be considered at attack leader. He doesn't do enough with the ball for mine, and would need to pick up 10pkh or swing the ball more or move it off the seam.
Siddle was making his debut in India, I said at the time that he didn't look very good, but he's come on leaps and bounds since then and its important to remember that hes only played 4 series, and hes not yet 25. Hes leap years ahead of Johnson at the same point of his career, and I would say he is a better bowler than Johnson period.

Regarding what he does with the ball, you are right, his strength is moving the ball off the seam, although he does get the ball to swing in towards the batter and he bowls fairly close to 90mph. Over time he will build on those attributes, which is why it is important to give him the confidence to do so, because he has a decent action and has the foundations to be a very good bowler in the future.

tooextracool

International Coach
No way the Katman's being dropped. A lot of people would say he's the best captain in the side too, he's had some success at Sheffield Shield level apparently.

I think handing him the captaincy would be an excellent idea. He's not part of the current on-field management- Ponting tends to confer with Clarke or Hussey but very rarely Katich- so you're injecting some freshness into the side without having to go for someone new and inexperienced. It gives Ponting the opportunity to focus on his batting- there's no doubt in my mind that he's suffered in the past year from having to concentrate too hard on managing a young side, and his batting's suffered. And on top of all that, it's a job Katich is particularly well suited to.

For me it's a similar situation to Sangakarra replacing Jayawardene as captain of Sri Lanka earlier this year- resulting in considerable success for the side ever since.

Unfortunately, it won't happen. The Australians don't retain ex-captains, and they like to stick to Plan A (Clarke to take over after Ponting retires). It's not the way they do things, but it's what I would do.
Interesting idea actually. I am in favor of Ponting resigning his captaincy as well to focus on his batting, but given the bureaucracy in Australian cricket, I am not sure if a) he'd be able to retain his place in the side without the captaincy and b) if Clarke would be as good a captain.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Siddle was making his debut in India, I said at the time that he didn't look very good, but he's come on leaps and bounds since then and its important to remember that hes only played 4 series, and hes not yet 25. Hes leap years ahead of Johnson at the same point of his career, and I would say he is a better bowler than Johnson period.

Regarding what he does with the ball, you are right, his strength is moving the ball off the seam, although he does get the ball to swing in towards the batter and he bowls fairly close to 90mph. Over time he will build on those attributes, which is why it is important to give him the confidence to do so, because he has a decent action and has the foundations to be a very good bowler in the future.
Spot on.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Reckon Siddle would probably have the highest average speed for the whole series. Seemed to be around 90mph consistently more than any other bowler.

tooextracool

International Coach
Think Johnson was quicker actually, was bowling around 92mph regularly when I watched him IIRC. Both were bowling at a very lively tick though.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Johnson seemed to alternate between being pretty damn fast and then hovering around the 86/87mph mark, whereas Siddle seemed to be more consistent.

Cruxdude

International Debutant
For me it seems stupid making Lee sit on the sidelines. Have great regard for that guy. If he has played his last test for Australia I beleive they are repeating the same mistake they made with Hayden. Forcing a guy out before he is done. Australia could afford doing this earlier, but at the moment I don't think so.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
For me it seems stupid making Lee sit on the sidelines. Have great regard for that guy. If he has played his last test for Australia I beleive they are repeating the same mistake they made with Hayden. Forcing a guy out before he is done. Australia could afford doing this earlier, but at the moment I don't think so.
Reckon he'd have played in the first test but for his side-strain.

Burgey

This. Top post.