• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mark Ramprakash

Matt79

Global Moderator
Lol. You'd hope for England's sake they have better options than a 39 year old test failure.

And Pigeon, your comparison with the selection of Watson is about as sensible as most of your comments on issues Australian.

Pigeon

Banned
Lol. You'd hope for England's sake they have better options than a 39 year old test failure.

And Pigeon, your comparison with the selection of Watson is about as sensible as most of your comments on issues Australian.
Ouch that hurt?

inbox24

International Debutant
Reckon he would score a century if he was picked. Aus have no more Warne and McGrath to torment, and this new lot will mostly fade when attacked. Times have changed and most likely through his experiences his mentality to batting has changed.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Assuming he's fit enough to play a test (which apparently he isn't) I would be more for picking him if he'd scored his runs in Division 1. This whole two divisions thing does complicate matters a little for selection... Key and Shah are also scoring their runs in Div 2, whereas Trott is scoring them in Div 1. The other likely-looking players scoring in Div 1 are Carberry, Read and Hildreth.
Yea, Div 2 runs scores i would usually never consider for test TBH. But looking at the options. Key would be an ok option for tests, Shah aint test class - ODI player all day, Hildreth seems like a tauton Flat bully, dont think Carberry is test class either. Its stress..

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Reckon he would score a century if he was picked. Aus have no more Warne and McGrath to torment, and this new lot will mostly fade when attacked. Times have changed and most likely through his experiences his mentality to batting has changed.
Except last time he was faced with a pressure situation (trying to get his 100th 100) he went to pieces.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Except last time he was faced with a pressure situation (trying to get his 100th 100) he went to pieces.
Exactly. And I'm not sure what would be more stressful for a cricketer than coming in for an absolute must-win game.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Well, according to the BBC he's "in contention" inasmuch as Dusty refused to rule him out.

It's obviously a left-field selection and tacitly acknowledges the shelves are bare, but these are exceptional circumstances. The incumbents have failed to repay the selectors (borderline foolhardy) faith, so why not go for the bloke with 108 centuries who's (again) averaging over 100?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah, just read on SSN that the selectors have said they are considering him. I reckon he'll get the nod.

Scaly piscine

Well, according to the BBC he's "in contention" inasmuch as Dusty refused to rule him out.

It's obviously a left-field selection and tacitly acknowledges the shelves are bare, but these are exceptional circumstances. The incumbents have failed to repay the selectors (borderline foolhardy) faith, so why not go for the bloke with 108 centuries who's (again) averaging over 100?
FFS how are people not getting this.

He'll be a spineless wreck

It doesn't matter whether he averages 500 in FC cricket.

He will still be useless at Test level

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Hmm, just heard what Miller said, and I'm thinking he won't get picked actually.

"There was a reason why Mark was left out in the first place."

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Haha, did he?

I reckon they'll bring Trott in for Bopara, but if Flintoff doesn't play (which he bloody will) then there should be another batting spot up for grabs.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Mystic Zaremba's Crystal Ball says:

• Flintoff will replace Harmison.
  • Trott will replace Bopara.
  • Key will be added to the squad but won't play.
  • There will be no recall for Twinkletoes Ramprakash.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente

My head says the same thing tbh, but I really do hope for a Ramprakash recall.

Pothas

Yeah this is by far the most likely result, think they will give Bell one more test. There is no doubt that England want to be conistant and stick by there players but I think they have no option but to drop Ravi now.

Do not really understand the massive calls for Rob Key, everyone is reminding us of Ramps terrible test performance but in his 10 tests ( I know that is a lot less than Ramps got) he did very little to prove he has what it takes at the highest level. Given the options I would not consider it a terrible selection by any means but no better than other options which have been sugested.

andyc

If Anderson's a bit of a *****, I'd love to see what Langer has to say about Ramprakash.