• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Chanderpaul, is he great ?

Chanderpaul is great ?

• Total voters

Beleg

International Regular
Yes.

among the batsmen I've watched, he slots in at either four or five, behind lara, tendulkar, kallis and on par with dravid and inzy.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
:ph34r: Ponting's better.

Waugh, eh. I honestly don't know. I didn't watch enough of him to have an opinion either way. :)
:laugh: Fair enough - wasn't sure if Ponting was an oversight or you rated all those blokes better.

Didn't know how much you'd seen of Waugh so no probs there. :)

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
He isnt a great for me, but there is more to this than just my opinion. In the grander scheme of things, he probably at least merits discussion.

Beleg

International Regular
Gayle and Sarwan are extremely talented batsmen. Mohammad Yousuf played some brilliant shots - ABD in full flow is a sight to behold. Duminy's batting makes my heart thud and Saeed Anwar's stylish cover drives were pretty orgasmic in their splendour.

However, none of the above inspired in me the belief that they COULD lead their teams to a win from improbable situations. In the back of my mind, there always lurked a possibility of a wicket falling - to a false stroke, perhaps - and an individual piece of bowling brilliance.

Watching Chanderpaul bat inspires confidence, as a supporter, and dread, as an opposition fan. His batting can be extremely demoralising for the opposition, and the opposition fan. A batsman doesn't need to be a defensive champion in order to inspire that dread - Gilchrist did it, Ponting did it, Tendulkar exudes it, Lara mastered it and Inzy, regardless of his actual performance, always merited it with his calm, languid approach to batting. Chanders belongs in the same category - simply put, he is a match-winner.

Beleg

International Regular
:laugh: Fair enough - wasn't sure if Ponting was an oversight or you rated all those blokes better.

Didn't know how much you'd seen of Waugh so no probs there. :)

I am a HUGE fan of Ponting's batting. He's extremely under-rated by a lot of people, not least Aussies themselves. (well, with the exception of Kaz/ikki)

I watched a fair bit of Waugh, but he never stood-out to me. Mark Taylor was that guy in 1998/99 and I was always glad to see the back of Michael Slater. Boonie was a pesky little ****er as well while Gilchrist and Ponting were phenomenal in 1999/2000. I remember Wasim cleaning Waugh up on 99 during the 94/95 tour but I wasn't old enough to analyse the extent of his awesomeness in those days. :P

Waugh never really mastered Pakistan, though there were individual flashes of brilliance. It's the same reason why a lot of saffa's (and some aussies) dont really get what the fuss is about when it comes to Inzy, for example.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Gayle and Sarwan are extremely talented batsmen. Mohammad Yousuf played some brilliant shots - ABD in full flow is a sight to behold. Duminy's batting makes my heart thud and Saeed Anwar's stylish cover drives were pretty orgasmic in their splendour.

However, none of the above inspired in me the belief that they COULD lead their teams to a win from improbable situations. In the back of my mind, there always lurked a possibility of a wicket falling - to a false stroke, perhaps - and an individual piece of bowling brilliance.

Watching Chanderpaul bat inspires confidence, as a supporter, and dread, as an opposition fan. His batting can be extremely demoralising for the opposition, and the opposition fan. A batsman doesn't need to be a defensive champion in order to inspire that dread - Gilchrist did it, Ponting did it, Tendulkar exudes it, Lara mastered it and Inzy, regardless of his actual performance, always merited it with his calm, languid approach to batting. Chanders belongs in the same category - simply put, he is a match-winner.
Funny thing is that AB and JP have played such innings in the recent past.

A Chanderpaul special is a ton in a losing cause. His not been a match-winner for the West Indies.

Beleg

International Regular
Funny thing is that AB and JP have played such innings in the recent past. A Chanderpaul special is a ton in a losing cause. His not been a match-winner for the West Indies.
And I am cognizant of that. :p I am merely describing the 'feeling' the respective players inspire in me. Watching ABD play, I can sort of see how it'd be possible to get him out. With Chanderpaul (and Ponting) it's a lost cause. You got to wait for them to make a mistake.

re: being a match-winner - I disagree. Not only has he played several de facto match winning knocks but he's has also provided the windies with an option to base their innings around someone to capitalise situational run-rate acceleration and other tactics. their failure to do so has more to do with the technical and mental short-comings of other batsmen than any fault of chanders.

Last edited:

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well Chanderpaul is without a doubt the second best West Indian player of the last decade. He has averages over 40 against all sides and doesn't really have a weakness in his game.

Let's not forget that his average is not that far behind what Lara's was. With a middle consisting of Lara and Chanderpaul, the West Indies could have been a major player in world cricket based on batting strength. Unfortunately their bowlers have been at best popgun since Courtney Walsh retired.

sammy2

Banned
Well Chanderpaul is without a doubt the second best West Indian player of the last decade. He has averages over 40 against all sides and doesn't really have a weakness in his game.

Let's not forget that his average is not that far behind what Lara's was. With a middle consisting of Lara and Chanderpaul, the West Indies could have been a major player in world cricket based on batting strength. Unfortunately their bowlers have been at best popgun since Courtney Walsh retired.
Good point there.

Slifer

International Captain
In the context of the other great West Indian batsmen, i would say that Chanderpaul is not quite there yet. If somehow he continues until his retirement and can maintain a 50 plus average and bring his conversion rate down then maybe. Also he needs to improve his away average to atleast 45.

Mister Wright

He's a great. Has been a fantastic servant of W.I. cricket. When you see him live you just see how much class the man has.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
He's a great for sure, for me. People talk about how Lara had to carry such a weakened side...well what about Chanderpaul? Not as great as the Vivs and Laras, but above the Kallicharrans for me.

fredfertang

I think it's difficult to describe anyone as a great other than retrospectively but as long as Chanders knows when to stop then I believe that's how he'll be remembered after his playing career ends

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
i am not sure if he can be called an all-time great, but he is certainly a great of this era....

sammy2

Banned
i am not sure if he can be called an all-time great, but he is certainly a great of this era....
What does he need to do to become an all time great ?

He has done extremely well with little or no support - I can't imagine how much of his runs was made with tailenders.

Precambrian

Banned
What does he need to do to become an all time great ?

He has done extremely well with little or no support - I can't imagine how much of his runs was made with tailenders.
Average above 50 for one? Improve his batting average away matches to 45? Take some risks on own and not benefit from the not outs due to poor WI batting at the other end?