• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Championless Trophy? - stop the bs and go

Jakester1288

International Regular
It will be very interesting to see how many players opt not to go. I am waiting to see what Andrew Symonds and the Australians to the most, but it will be interesting to see how many players say no in total. Do you think that if enough players don't go that there is a chance the competition will be moved/cancelled?

EDIT: Halfway to 1000 posts.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It will be very interesting to see how many players opt not to go. I am waiting to see what Andrew Symonds and the Australians to the most, but it will be interesting to see how many players say no in total. Do you think that if enough players don't go that there is a chance the competition will be moved/cancelled?

EDIT: Halfway to 1000 posts.
Given the way the ICC's been going about things I'd imagine even if it was just India and Pakistan who decided to play they'd still have group stages, quarter finals, semis, and a final. :happy:

WhatisRight

School Boy/Girl Captain
Taufel confident over CT security in Pakistan

SYDNEY: Simon Taufel, the Australian umpire, has expressed confidence over the security situation in Pakistan, saying that he will officiate in the Champions Trophy in September if selected. Taufel has been to Pakistan on ten occasions, most recently in June, when he stood in seven games of the Asia Cup.

“There are no guarantees in any area of life,” Taufel told the Sunday Herald. “In all my experiences there, the Pakistan people have been friendly and hospitable. Everything is absolutely first class.

“They make a huge effort in the security stakes. At no stage have I felt worried, in danger or threatened in Pakistan,” he said. “If I’m selected to be an umpire, I will not hesitate to go.”

Taufel’s comments come in the wake of fears that members of the Australian team could opt out of the Champions Trophy. Ricky Ponting had indicated in June that his team-mates were uneasy over touring, while Andrew Symonds was not convinced about player safety. However, the players are expected to take their final calls after security briefings by Cricket Australia.

Fusion

Global Moderator
Lawson On Mission

Fair dinkum, this bloke should be Pakistan's tourism ambassador.

He could get his right arm blown off but would still declare the place safe.
Good on him. He lives there so obviously has a better understanding of the situation than someone living thousands of miles away. It’s interesting to note that most people who’ve visited Pakistan recently, or who had a chance to live/stay there for an extended time have deemed the place safe. Besides Lawson and Taufel, the late Bob Woolmer had also considered Pakistan safe.

Fusion

Global Moderator
And yet in the same breath...

"The weekly Rapport newspaper reported that D.J. Mavimbela, the country's high commissioner in Pakistan, had sent a letter to Cricket South Africa warning it of the risk to players' safety."

http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/iccct2008/content/current/story/364792.html

It's all a bit of a mess really.
I saw that and was shocked tbh. I can’t fathom why the high commissioner would come to that conclusion without consulting with proper authorities responsible for player’s security. I must admit one thing though: If I was a South African player already reluctant to go, this letter would probably seal my decision. If a representative of your country living in Pakistan is advising you not to come, then it would be pretty hard to overcome your fears.

brockley

International Captain
ICC meets nz tomorrow,australia friday,england and south africa on the weekend.
We should know on or before the 20th where these teams stand,including the players.

WhatisRight

School Boy/Girl Captain
Just read in cricinfo that the ICC fails to convince NZ players. How much more should they do to get them? this is getting ridiculous...

brockley

International Captain
ICC do not convince nz players or player association.
If thats the case i don't see the icc impressing australia,s africa or england.
Champions trophy now looks doomed.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
From Cricinfo quotes:

"The Australians put their views across in a very polite way and perhaps not as animated or as cynical as the New Zealand players."

The ICC's general manager of cricket, Dave Richardson, says convincing 22 New Zealand players of the security measures in Pakistan was a tough ask.

Sounds like the Australian meeting was slightly calmer than the NZ... though Australia just had Ponting and Clarke representing the players whereas NZ seem to have had their whole squad.

Last edited:

WhatisRight

School Boy/Girl Captain
by the way why have they got srilanka as an alternate venue? If everyone wants to play in a completely safe environment then atleast go for some country that is much much "safer" than srilanka, india or pakistan.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
by the way why have they got srilanka as an alternate venue? If everyone wants to play in a completely safe environment then atleast go for some country that is much much "safer" than srilanka, india or pakistan.
I'm not sure that's quite the point though... as far as I can tell, it's more the point that Australian (and British) interests have been specifically threatened as targets in Pakistan, whereas in India or Sri Lanka the concern is more about being in the wrong place at the wrong time which is easier to plan against.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Is it?

I'd have thought it'd be the other way around TBH.

You're far more likely to be able to defend yourself if you know you're a target than if you don't.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Is it?

I'd have thought it'd be the other way around TBH.

You're far more likely to be able to defend yourself if you know you're a target than if you don't.
I don't agree. You could put the argument that if terrorists are specifically targetting Australians then you are much more at risk than if the are exploding bombs at a market, for example. In that case, if you are concerned you can just stay in your hotel and are unlikely to be affected.

For example, as a Brit, I would feel significantly more at risk stood outside a British Embassy in Pakistan than I would in Sri Lanka.

WhatisRight

School Boy/Girl Captain
I don't agree. You could put the argument that if terrorists are specifically targetting Australians then you are much more at risk than if the are exploding bombs at a market, for example. In that case, if you are concerned you can just stay in your hotel and are unlikely to be affected.

For example, as a Brit, I would feel significantly more at risk stood outside a British Embassy in Pakistan than I would in Sri Lanka.
Whatever. That still doesnt convince me, if safety is the number one priority (which certainly is) then they should play at a place which is much safer then countries in the sub-continent. I agree sri lanka is safer than pakistan when it comes to foreigners but still its far from a safe country. Even though pakistan is abit more "dangerous" still they are providing that much more security than other countries so it really balances everything out.

brockley

International Captain
In cricinfo icc said it had not ruled out the trophy going to srilanka,seems that is very much on the cards now.
Better than having west indiies,3 asian teams,bangladesh zimbabwe and 2 minnows anyway.