• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Test match on TV in London

cidlockie

Cricket Spectator
Apologies to those not in the English capital, but can anyone point me towards a pub in London (other than the Sports Cafe) likely to be showing England v New Zealand on Friday afternoon? I can't seem to find anywhere having searched numerous pub directories, and www.sportspubs.co.uk is hopelessly out of date.

I'm aware the weather's not looking good for it, but still, that's what beer's for.

Thanks in advance.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Apologies to those not in the English capital, but can anyone point me towards a pub in London (other than the Sports Cafe) likely to be showing England v New Zealand on Friday afternoon? I can't seem to find anywhere having searched numerous pub directories, and www.sportspubs.co.uk is hopelessly out of date.

I'm aware the weather's not looking good for it, but still, that's what beer's for.

Thanks in advance.
tbh there'll be loads of them, and you should be able to find one just wandering around. Whereabout in London will you be?

cidlockie

Cricket Spectator
Anywhere central is fine with me, I work in Victoria so I can get anywhere easily enough. You'd think there'd be loads, but there really isn't. A whole load of places seem to have canned their tellies in the last couple of years, and the ones that still have them tend to pump out filth like VH1 when there's a perfectly good game of cricket just a few channels away.

The Sports Cafe will show it, but I really can't stand that place.

Langeveldt

Soutie

Thanks in advance.
You'd be more likely to find cricket on TV in Chisinau to be honest..

cidlockie

Cricket Spectator
I'm putting my faith in The Green Man on Berwick Street. According to beerintheevening.com:

this used to be a great pub, however now i find the customer service is terrible and very rude, the gents cubicle has no latch or lock and hasnt for over six months when i questioned why i was told they wouldnt put one on as they have had problems, surely they need to address their security problems rather than expect customers to have no privacy? i found on several occassions the staff to be rude and its a shame because it could be a good bar.

So I'm well looking forward to it.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Anywhere central is fine with me, I work in Victoria so I can get anywhere easily enough. You'd think there'd be loads, but there really isn't. A whole load of places seem to have canned their tellies in the last couple of years, and the ones that still have them tend to pump out filth like VH1 when there's a perfectly good game of cricket just a few channels away.

The Sports Cafe will show it, but I really can't stand that place.
Yeah I was in Victoria in March, plenty of pubs but they seemed to be old-style pubs.

Hate London pubs actually, like £3 a pint is cheap there 8-)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
London as a rule ain't cheap. I heard bottles of Coke we used to sell at our old place for 99p were £2.50 in London. :blink: Why anyone would want to live there is beyond me.

armchairumpire

U19 Cricketer
London as a rule ain't cheap. I heard bottles of Coke we used to sell at our old place for 99p were £2.50 in London. :blink: Why anyone would want to live there is beyond me.
How can anyone afford to live there? I ask myself that every time I go to London. However, I am in love with the place, so I'll just have to keep saving or just not drink when I'm in London. Mind you, I've only visited London in spring or summer so I think I get the best of English weather. Even if it was 12 degrees the day I went to Lord's.

I was in London at the beginning of the last Ashes series. I just walked around until I found a pub with the cricket on. I can't even remember the name of the one I went to regularly but it was in Hampstead. No help I'm sure.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Yeah it's a bit of a dive, but the money is far better there so it's all relative I guess..

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Kinda pointless going to London to get better pay... if you have to spend more to live there... really, for mine.

Much prefer a nice quiet-ish place like Exeter or Morpeth where you get paid less and have to cough-up less.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Kinda pointless going to London to get better pay... if you have to spend more to live there... really, for mine.

Much prefer a nice quiet-ish place like Exeter or Morpeth where you get paid less and have to cough-up less.
Idea is to work there and save for a couple of years, and then go back to where you come from

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yeah, but even while you're there you're still paying-out vast sums on accommodation, living expense, etc. aren't you?

Unless you're doing online shopping and living in bargain-basement bedsits.