• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pommie Mbangwa

masterblaster

International Captain
How awesome is he when he's commentating? :)

One of my favourite commentators from the younger brigade of commentators. Kind of like the Zimbabwean Michael Slater without being as over the top as Slats is at times. That being said, Michael Slater's one of my favourites too.

But I've loved Pommie's commentary in this IPL, it's always so positive and it's clear that he loves his cricket.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yes, freshens up a pretty stale commentary lineup IMO. Loving his enthusiasm for all things cricket too, comes off as a top bloke from all the pre and post match stuff he does too.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Yes, Michael Slater is a very fair comparison point. I rate Slater higher but Pommie is defnitely a very good commentator. Very articulate and puts across whatever he is saying very clearly. I would like him to give more inputs though which is where I feel that he lacks which puts him a bit below the toppest level. Still excellent though. His voice is among the best though (this is a very subjective opinion which not all might agree with but according to me at least). Very smooth and silky.

Last edited:

DaRick

State Vice-Captain
Pommie Mbangwa doesn't come across as irritating (or completely neurotic) at all...unlike Slater, IMO.

His record, FWIW, indicates that he was a decent Test bowler (but a laughable ODI bowler).

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Pommie is good. Very articulate and interesting. He has surprised me with his commentary. I did not expect him to be so good. He makes Sivaramakrishnan look ridiculously stuck up too :)

Chubb

International Regular
He really is quite excellent. He is also an extremely nice bloke who replies to emails and facebook messages if you send them to him. He is without any shadow of a doubt the best commentator Zimbabwe have produced. In fact I would go so far as to say he is the best commentator in Southern Africa. He also goes to show you don't have to be a top-class international cricketer to know what is going on.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
He really is quite excellent. He is also an extremely nice bloke who replies to emails and facebook messages if you send them to him. He is without any shadow of a doubt the best commentator Zimbabwe have produced. In fact I would go so far as to say he is the best commentator in Southern Africa. He also goes to show you don't have to be a top-class international cricketer to know what is going on.
Facebook Stalker !! :-O

Just Kidding he's cool

pasag

RTDAS
Pommie is really good (think I was one of the first that called that on here, can't remember), but I think that'll only last while he is new and after a few years the things he has going for him might no longer be there. Or not.

bond21

Banned
if pommie is the one with the dreadlocks, yea hes alrite.

i have no opinion on all the others, they sound exactly the same to me, not particularly interesting either.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Personally I've always liked Sivaramakrishnan too TBH. He and Slater, and Nasser Hussain too, are a few of the decent "recent" additions to commentary teams IMO.

Interesting to see the Mbangwa-love here, actually - I'd never really given him a moment's thought. He's just "been there". Certainly an obvious sign that he's not a poor commentator, but I'll have to give it some more thought next time I listen to him on a Test or ODI. :)

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Never watched an IPL game but saw a lot of him in SA.

He is well spoken without being pompous and enthusiastic without going overboard.

I like him and think he does a good job.

He isnt at that top level yet as he doesnt quite have the authority or presence of the guys who were top players or journos but he may get there one day.

What Ive seen so far is pretty good.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Personally I've always liked Sivaramakrishnan too TBH. He and Slater, and Nasser Hussain too, are a few of the decent "recent" additions to commentary teams IMO.

Interesting to see the Mbangwa-love here, actually - I'd never really given him a moment's thought. He's just "been there". Certainly an obvious sign that he's not a poor commentator, but I'll have to give it some more thought next time I listen to him on a Test or ODI. :)
His initial impression is a cultural shock. He is so much a youngster in spirit and his obvious enjoyment of the moment and life in general comes as a big change from the more staid attitudes one is used to. After you have got over that, hopefully without feeling that some sacred space has been sullied, you will like him.

Protean

State Regular
Enjoy his commentary, enthusiastic and has a lovely voice, especially amongst all the South African accents when he commentates domestically.

masterblaster

International Captain

Pommie is awesome Richard, you must watch some more IPL games. He's truly been fantastic behind the microphone this tournament. That being said, he's always pretty good. Agreed about Slater and Hussain, I'm big fans of both of them. Could listen to Nasser, Slater and Pommie for hours. Add Harsha Bhogle, Ian Chappell and Jonathan Agnew in there and I wouldn't need any other commentator.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Personally I've always liked Sivaramakrishnan too TBH.
I think(only speculating) that most people's problems with him are his not so pleasing to the ears voice, because once I got over that and listened to what he had to say he wasn't that bad. Especially good when he's analysing spinners. Surprised he didn't turn out a better player than his record shows because he sounds smart enough.

ret

International Debutant
I like Pommie .... I have liked his commentary since 2003, when he commented in that WC

and since some of the commentators are bad, it makes Pommie appear even better

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Pommie is awesome Richard, you must watch some more IPL games. He's truly been fantastic behind the microphone this tournament. That being said, he's always pretty good. Agreed about Slater and Hussain, I'm big fans of both of them. Could listen to Nasser, Slater and Pommie for hours. Add Harsha Bhogle, Ian Chappell and Jonathan Agnew in there and I wouldn't need any other commentator.
Oh I like loads from the "older" crew, including Harsha and Aggers certainly. But I don't have whichever station it is IPL is on, and I have so little interest in Twenty20 that I can't ever see myself watching it TBH.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I've not seen any IPL coverage, so haven't had recent exposure to Pommie, but have liked what I've heard. Wouldn't have him quite in Nasser's league, but he definitely shows promise.

It might just be my ear being attuned to it, but he does seem to speak in something vaguely approximating an English accent ( the Received Pronunciation version, anyway). I'd always assumed that "Pommie" was a diminutive of Mpumelelo before I heard him talk, but now wonder if his dulcet tones are responsible for his nickname. Does anyone know?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I am a big fan too, but I think comparisons to Nasser are a bit much. Nasser has an amazing ability to predict the game, and his analysis is brilliant.

Pommie, as some have alluded to, doesn't have the presence or respect yet, but I'm sure it'll come with time and experience.

Great to listen to though.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'd always assumed that "Pommie" was a diminutive of Mpumelelo before I heard him talk, but now wonder if his dulcet tones are responsible for his nickname. Does anyone know?
It is just derivative of Mpumelelo UIMM.